Brush cleaning? Best Method

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Rabbit

Reaction score
Hi all

L&P brush. I have noticed that one off my bushes when dipped in the monomer and wiping to get air bubbles out before application, it has started to look yellow when you wipe monomer of brush...:cry: ( its my fav brush to)
What causes this and how can you prevent this?? :grr:
Best way to clean bruses and how often should they be renewed??

Thanks in advance peeps...:):) xxx

Sorry to say this but it sounds contaminated, what do you usually use to clean your brush???

the best way to clean your brush imo is to soak the bristles in a little monomer and then softly wipe dry with kitchen roll, if you get any hard acrylic in it then you can get acrylic brush cleaner and you can stand the brush bristles down soaking for a couple of hours then with a orange wood stick slowly push out the softened acrylic then clean with monomer and store bristles down or laying straight.
Although the brush cleaner contains acetone it also contains the conditioners to condition the natural hair that the bristles are made from.
Hope I haven't confused you too much......
:)

I was having a problem keeping my brush clean, and one tip i got was not to use too much brush cleaner as ths can dry the brush out. Just a wee helpful tip as i was constantly using it to clean my brush.

I was having a problem keeping my brush clean, and one tip i got was not to use too much brush cleaner as ths can dry the brush out. Just a wee helpful tip as i was constantly using it to clean my brush.

This is true its a bit like putting acetone on your own hair after a while it will dry and just snap, this is why you should try your best to only use monomer to clean your brush!

Hi all

L&P brush. I have noticed that one off my bushes when dipped in the monomer and wiping to get air bubbles out before application, it has started to look yellow when you wipe monomer of brush...:cry: ( its my fav brush to)

I have the same problem with one of my brushes. I'll look forward to the answers! I've only ever cleaned mine with monomer and store it properly.:)

Do you cover your brush when you file? , have you used various different monomers? is the brush covered when you put it away? What brush is it (bristles made of, resin that holds bristles together)?

I would not use brush cleaner at all the best way to keep your brush looking fab is clean in fresh monomer and then allow to airdry :)

I would not use brush cleaner at all the best way to keep your brush looking fab is clean in fresh monomer and then allow to airdry :)

The best thing to clean your brush in is monomer and CND do a plastic monomer holder that comes with a lid with a hole so you fill it up and put your brush head first into it and leave it. I dont really have this problem as I clean my brush after each use and store flat.

I also throw out contaminated monomer and wipe the dappen dish clean. I only ever use as much as I need.

Hi All

Thanks for all the advice.. I use CND and always clean my brush after use with monomer.. I never use brush cleaner as I was advised not too.. So It looks like my fav brush is buggered or can it be saved??? I have the wee plastic dappen dish from CND with lid but didn't know that was to be used to clean my brush:cry:...
I think that when I have cleaned my brush and I haven't dried the monomer off correctly then stored away some monomer has ran into barrel of brush and cauesed the yellowing... Im so mad Need to get a new FAV brush:grr:

Hi all

Do you wear latex gloves ?I usd to and found my fingers used to go yellow and it travelled down my brush.Give it a soak over night in monomer untill its cleared.

Hi Debbie

so my brush can be saved if I soak it all night.. yeha.. my fav brush does not need to be binned just yet... xx

Heh I aint guaranteeing, but give it a go , you might have to do it a couple of times, as obviously the monomer will start turning a yellowy colour with a bit of luck.

Wasn't there a thread somewhere about this and Nailzoo said if you wash your brush gently in something like baby shampoo it can sometime sort out this problem?
Let go and have a nose about,,,, see if I can find something......

I might be lying!!..lol

Yes, I was told this too in an old thread of mine..My poor brush.This is also another option.:)

Just monomer is fine - soak it in the dish overnight then wipe, put fresh monomer in and clean it again.

Your brush can be saved - also check how you store the brush - is there any plastic around?

I never heard of cleaning your brush in monomoer before - we have been taught to use acetone - that's very interesting!

Acetone? :eek: Oh no, just use monomer. Also remember if you are soaking your brush if you've had a wee accident and have a "clump", don't stand it on the bristles. Get a blob of blutac and attach the shaft of the brush to something handy when you are soaking it, to raise the hairs of the brush above the level of the base of the dappen dish.

Acetone? :eek: Oh no, just use monomer. Also remember if you are soaking your brush if you've had a wee accident and have a "clump", don't stand it on the bristles. Get a blob of blutac and attach the shaft of the brush to something handy when you are soaking it, to raise the hairs of the brush above the level of the base of the dappen dish.

Yes do this,I never used to and ended up with nice clean bendy bristles!!

I never heard of cleaning your brush in monomoer before - we have been taught to use acetone - that's very interesting!

Your brush is you most vauable tool and should become a part of you.

Brushes are made from sable .... sable is more expensive than MInk.

Would you wash you hair in acetone?
Why wash you brush in acetone?

I keep old monomer in a separate bottle and use this to soak my brush when needed.

But .... when you get better at ratio, your brush should never need to be cleaned.

Every 2 weeks (On a saturday) I shampoo my brush (with a good quality shampoo), if it's good enough for my hair then it's good enough for my brush, then I rinse, then apply conditioner, wait a few mins then rinse and pat dry. Give it a drink of monomer, then shape.

I go through about 2-3 brushes per year, doing about 40 clients a week.

If you use more brushes than this per year, you are doing something wrong.

Your brush is you most vauable tool and should become a part of you.

Brushes are made from sable .... sable is more expensive than MInk.

Would you wash you hair in acetone?
Why wash you brush in acetone?

I keep old monomer in a separate bottle and use this to soak my brush when needed.

But .... when you get better at ratio, your brush should never need to be cleaned.

Every 2 weeks (On a saturday) I shampoo my brush (with a good quality shampoo), if it's good enough for my hair then it's good enough for my brush, then I rinse, then apply conditioner, wait a few mins then rinse and pat dry. Give it a drink of monomer, then shape.

I go through about 2-3 brushes per year, doing about 40 clients a week.

If you use more brushes than this per year, you are doing something wrong.

I knew I had seen it!!!! :lol:. I did this with one of my old brushes and it came up like a treat!!! Thanks again Carl!!

Latest posts

Back