Brush cleaning....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alzy

Reaction score
hey everybody happy new year!

i recently got some new acrylic brushes for xmas, i just need a decent brush cleanser what do you guys use to clean your brush?

cheers :)

xxxx

Dont go wasting your money on brush cleaner, clean your brush in the monomer you have been using for the acrylics, this works beautifully.

put the new brush in a piece of kitchentowel and roll off thegum (the brushes comewith a gummy substance on the bristles)
and then give them a nice big drink of your monomer.. squeeze out the excess and leave a couple hours.. give them another drink.. leave for a couple hours etc... do this for a day or two then get stuck inand train them, they are sometimes a bit faffy to use for the first few times.. but after a few enhancements perfect!

As the above poster pointed out.. i never use cleaner.. after every day of use i give my Flo a good swirl in her fav drink.. squeeze out any excess and store flat.

have fun!

Yep always clean your brush in monomer hun.
clean it after every use...
if you ever do find your monomer is a bit murkey though....put some fresh momomer in a dappen dish and clean your brush in that...
If you have any acrylic stuck in your brush also, then dispose of any product after you have cleaned it ...dont try to re-use it babe,

There are lots and lots of really useful threads on correct brush cleaning, useage and storage hunny...
I once printed some off and kept it in my portfolio just incase i forgot when i really needed it ..just put in brush cleaning.. etc...in the search bar at the top...make sure you grab a cupper though....you will come across loads that will have you engrosed for hours lol ...

don't do it

i bought brush cleaner once, my brush was never the same again!

I hope an experienced person bought them for you .... or they could be crap.

If you work on your ratio and dont "push" the product too much (which pushes it into your brush) you shouldn't need to clean them very often (if at all).

Only clean them in monomer, be persistant, soak then wipe, soak then wipe, never pull the hairs, as stated do a search on the subject.

Treat brushes as you would treat your own hair .... be gentle.

Brilliant! Thanks a bunch! for everybodies advice! And i apologise if you've heard that question loads of times :green:

Take care everyone

xxx

I use acetone at the end of each day to give it a good clean then dip in monomer shape the brush and let sit for the night

I use acetone at the end of each day to give it a good clean then dip in monomer shape the brush and let sit for the night

what you have to remember is the brushes are made of sable hair(which is real animal hair )from unless you use nylon for gels eg......surely acetone would ruin them.........making the brush very brittle.........

No i was taught that way to use acetone. my brush is sable i don't leave in long maybe 2-3 min at end of day.

No i was taught that way to use acetone. my brush is sable i don't leave in long maybe 2-3 min at end of day.

use your monomer.......not acetone

Acertone is the bruhes worst enemy. It will eventually ruin yor beautiful, prized brush. Correctly caring for your brush will keep it in pristine condition and it will last you for years to come.

Always use monomer to clean your brush and reshape it for the next time you are ready to use it hun.

Thank you so much i have grown very attached to my brush thank you i did not know it could do all that damage. Again Thank you

acetone on bristles a big no no but i was taught that you can clean the ferrule with acetone the metal bit that holds the hairs in place but NOT the bristles only use monomer and if it really is stuck brush cleaner as a VERY LAST RESORT. :)

Hey guys I washed my kolinsky #12 in water and the bristles spread out. Do you think I can soak it in monomer for a few days and bring it back to life? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP.

i was taught to use OPI brush cleaner which is nothing but tea tree oil. it does a fantastic job for me.

Hey guys I washed my kolinsky #12 in water and the bristles spread out. Do you think I can soak it in monomer for a few days and bring it back to life? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP.

I may at this point use a brush cleaner, EZ flow makes a good one. Brush cleaners usually contain conditioners that will help to soften dry bristles and can sometimes beat the "separation" problem.

I wouldn't soak in any liquid "for a few days" though, this will slowly eat away at the glue holding the bristles together under its metal cuff.

Good luck reviving that old brush!

Shiloh

i should mention that i was taught to only use the brush cleaner once or twice a week as needed. to me, the monomer thing was just common sense (which is a rarity for me LOL):green:

i was taught to use OPI brush cleaner which is nothing but tea tree oil. it does a fantastic job for me.

OPI brush cleaner is only 1% tea tree oil
85% is Acetone, the other is some other chemical

I believe that the best way is with monomer

Latest posts

Back