Brush clogging and mix ratios

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SammiG

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!
I generally prefer wraps but am trying to get better at acrylics at the moment. Have you got any tips on how not to get my brush clogged up with acrylic after a while? Should I keep wiping it or is it my technique that is wrong? When I am placing the bead on the nail, I am noticing that some of it stays on the brush sometimes. I am finding it quite difficult but don't want to give up! Am I making the brush too wet? I have registered to do the NVQBU19 and know I have to sort it out by then! My confidence is going down the pan :( but I don't want to stop doing it... I love nails! I have done a course in the 3 systems (a year ago) but stuck to wraps after that (stupidly!!) Does anyone know where I could maybe get a tutorial (one to one?)for a day at a weekend - In London or Bedford/St Albans area? I need to get up to speed as I think I am starting to practise the wrong techniques!
Sam XX
XX

... bear in mind im blonde, but milton keynes creative academy are based in Aspley guise near milton keynes but i believe on the beds type side (soz not good geographicaly!!!)

they do one to one but in the creative product like geeg says you are obviously not happy with the products you used that was me too but now ive found creative no looking back..... good luck
ps they are also nvq assesement centre and lovely helpful people

Have you got any tips on how not to get my brush clogged up with acrylic after a while? Should I keep wiping it or is it my technique that is wrong? When I am placing the bead on the nail, I am noticing that some of it stays on the brush sometimes. I am finding it quite difficult but don't want to give up! Am I making the brush too wet?
Hiya

You've answered your own problem. Your mixed ratio is too wet. Sit down and practice making different size beads. You want to soak your brush in the monomer and remove excess, then dip into your powder (check with the manufacturers to find out what ratio they recommend). When you remove your brush from the powder, count 1, 2, 3, looking at how the liquid absorbs the powder. If it absorbs really quickly and becomes gloopy, this will be too wet. If it doesn't absorb all the powder, this will be too dry!

You want it to absorb the powder and have a slightly orange peel type texture. Place your bead on a tip and take a deep breath - does the bead run like a mad man! or does it look like the Alps - both these will be wrong, either too wet or too dry. What you want is for it too 'melt' about 1/4 it's size and create a dome like shape.........ahhh just perfect ;)

All this takes a bit of time and practice.

As for product on your brush, no don't continually wipe your brush on couch roll, this is bad practice and only creates more vapours. Instead, get your product ratio right, and you won't have this problem to contend with in the first place. If you do get something nasty stuck in your brush, try soaking it in monomer.

Adele

Hiya,
Just thought I would add a bit here as my Foundation course is still fresh in my mind (did it just a few months ago)
You want it to absorb the powder and have a slightly orange peel type texture
I thought this only applied with white and opaque colours - with clear and perfect pink I thought it was supposed to be more glass like.
Sorry, not picking, .... this is what I thought!
Correct me if Im wrong ;)

Yep ... you're wrong!! :D The bead when it is right should look like wet sugar.

The bead should turn glassy when you have pressed it on to the nail and fall about 25% as it goes on absorbing the powder. Then it is ready to press and smooth on to the nail.

Hi Sam
If l had my time again when l was starting to do my NVQ with out doubt Creative would have been my first choice. :king: It takes alot of practice to get the consistancy right. :rolleyes: Tip for you (it worked for me, but that don't mean it is normal? ha) to get my consistancy right, when doing my practice balls l counted how many wipes of the brush on the side of the dappen dish to allow me roughly the same amount of monomer each time :? it is surprising how much monomer the brushes can hold in them. Have fun training and don't worry too much about the NVQ l have completed mine and if you need any help, what ever it is l am here.

We do teach that with Opaque powders (i.e. white) that the bead (after monomer absorbtion) should have an orange peel texture.
When working with translucents (i.e. Pink) the bead should have a frosted glass like appearance. Though close, a glass like apperence would be slightly too wet.

Hope this helps clarify :D

I am splitting this thread away from Ceasars Secrets as we have gone way off topic ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back