Brush Contamination; what actions to take?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoticeableNails

Glitter Geek!
Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I hope your life is treating you all well.

I have discovered that I have a contaminated brush.
One of my clients gave me a call and said the set I did about a week ago has started to yellow. So I went through all the possible causes it could be with my client; Hair dyes, fake tan, cleaning products, sun bed etc
My client has been good on all these counts.

So I then thought it might be my top coat or brush. But just to check I looked at my L&P brush.
When I wiped it on a clean white pad I got yellowing.
Hey.....At least I've found my problem.:rolleyes:

But where do I go from here?
I'll be seeing my client this week to hopefully sort it out for her. What are my options? can I file down and replace my L&P using a new brush? Or do I have to do a soak off and new set?

Second....is there any way I can save my brush?
I'm guessing I can't and it would have to go to the dappen dish in the sky!

Thanks for your advice in advance

Normally when my brush isn't behaving the discolouring shows straight away.

I would start with the rebalance and see how it goes as you remove material x x x

I've never had any success in sorting a contaminated brush, especially when I get to the yellow streaks stage :irked: Send it off the the great dappen dish in the sky. You'll contantly be checking it and paranoid about it starting again if you try and redeem it :lol:

As for the nails, I'd probably remove and start again. If it's contaminated the pink/clear in Zones 2 & 3 it will be all the way through the product not just the top layers.

If you buff down and try a rebalance you run the risk of the yellowed product showing through and a colour difference :irked:

Bit of a pain, but better to start again

What causes a brush to contaminate? Can and do you geeks use the same brush with different products?

I've never had any success in sorting a contaminated brush, especially when I get to the yellow streaks stage :irked: Send it off the the great dappen dish in the sky. You'll contantly be checking it and paranoid about it starting again if you try and redeem it :lol:

As for the nails, I'd probably remove and start again. If it's contaminated the pink/clear in Zones 2 & 3 it will be all the way through the product not just the top layers.

If you buff down and try a rebalance you run the risk of the yellowed product showing through and a colour difference :irked:

Bit of a pain, but better to start again

Thanks guys.

Trinity they are glitter fades. Would you still soak off?

What causes a brush to contaminate? Can and do you geeks use the same brush with different products?

When I searched for info on brush contamination there was lots of information on diagnosing it but I couldn't find out what actions I should take.

Mostly its down to your brush drying out, as busy techs dont often get this problem.

I use the same brush for all my powders (except glitter). But if you mean swapping from one brand of powder & monomer to another you should use a different brush.

Thanks guys.

Trinity they are glitter fades. Would you still soak off?

As much as it breaks my heart to say it, yes I'd still soak off. The contamination is going to be all the way through the product.

If the client hadn't noticed it, then you might have just been able to rebalance, but it sounds quite noticeable (oh look, I made a joke, Noticeable Nails, noticeable colour, geddit....no? OK I'll leave now..)

*~* I had this happen w/of course my First set of Sculpts I did on myself the other day:suprised: Glad at least it was on me but after a day or two it reminded me of when you eat an orange etc. and was a bit yellowing around the cuticle area! I thought perhaps it was my monomer (used an older bottle of some I had since ij was just on me) so a couple of days ago e-filed it out and used some brand-new Retention I got for my clients and noticed yesterday it's doing the same thing:Scared: So if it's my brush (and I had done the usual Cleaning etc. in the new monomer) Now how should I clean it?? I had seen somewhere once that putting it in acetone for cleaning might help :|

If you're using CND liquids and brushes, you should never clean your brush in acetone. If your brush gets contaminated, you pretty much have to start over with a new one--that yellow stain never comes out completely. I know, I've tried! :D I know, it sucks to have to by a new brush, and I can never bring myself to actually bin my old brushes. I have a little box full of every brush I've ever used, for the last eight years. It's full now, and I need another box. But I AIN'T gettin' rid of 'em. No sir. They were too expensive! :D

If you're using CND liquids and brushes, you should never clean your brush in acetone. If your brush gets contaminated, you pretty much have to start over with a new one--that yellow stain never comes out completely. I know, I've tried! :D I know, it sucks to have to by a new brush, and I can never bring myself to actually bin my old brushes. I have a little box full of every brush I've ever used, for the last eight years. It's full now, and I need another box. But I AIN'T gettin' rid of 'em. No sir. They were too expensive! :D

PACK RAT! lol!! :)

I have been able to save a brush in this shape- I had to seriously clean it in monomer a FEW times, finally it ran clear, and all was fine.

I will mimic what Elyse said- NEVER clean your brushes in acetone! EVER!! You will dry the hairs out, and then your brush is garbage bound for SURE!

FIll your dappen dish with fresh monomer, and clean your brush in it, wiping on a towel a few times intermittently. When I had a brush go WAY bad (it was due to how I stored it, now I store them flat in a container), I used a couple dishes of monomer before I got it cleared up.

Good Luck!

I was taught that touching the bristles of your brush with your fingers can make products yellow as you are transferringt he oils from your skin onto the bristles

I was taught that touching the bristles of your brush with your fingers can make products yellow as you are transferringt he oils from your skin onto the bristles

It wont be a cause for yellowing, however it IS a big no no because of the risk of OVEREXPOSURE. It's like inviting your skin to have an allergy! It goes along with NEVER EVER touch uncured product- ANY PRODUCT! :)

Hi think my brush is now contaminated but only at the ferrel??(in the metal bit lol)its coming out yellow on a pad but this part does'nt touch the nail, Had the brush since Nov last year, and havent noticed any of my clients or ma nails yellowing, will submerging this in monomer solve this or will I need a new brush?

Thanks x

If you need to soak you brush for a while in some fresh monomer to remove any contamination try this.

Get a short glass test tube, bought mine from a local florist. (I chose a test tube as it is narrow & you want to use as little monomer as possible for obvious reasons!) Fill it enough to a depth that will cover the length of the bristles completely. Get a piece of foam, the the type that toe spacers are made from. I use a 2in disc my young son has to shoot from his toy ray gun!! Cut a small cross in the centre, through this you can push the end of your brush so that you can place the brush in the test tube without it touching the bottom adjusting the position of the foam as necessary. Place the whole thing inside anything that will keep it upright & leave it for as long as necessary. Doing it this way prevents any risk of ending up with the end of your brush becoming out of shape especially if it needs to soak for a long time.

i use brush cleaner on my brush all the time . should i not do that. is the brush cleaner bad for the brush .i'm confused in what to do?
THG:cry:

Good day to every one. First i must say the subject of brush contamination is one dear and near to me I like Elyse save my brushes. So one day i thougt u are already spoiled so i'll experament on it. First i soak it in acetone for 24 hrs to remove contamination then soak in citrus soak for 24 hrs 2 part soap 1 part water then rince under runing water used hair conditioner on the brisle\hair leave for 2 mins then rinse soak in momer for 10 mins shape and dry and it turned out fine.No more yellow streaks,may work for u may not it did for me hope this helps. I just thought that if its made from natural hair the if it dries out hair conditioner should help with that problem. Thats my crazy story.

Tricia

Hi Jo, fraid to say I'd soak off & start again in this situation to be on the safe side. (sorry hun!)

Latest posts

Back