Brush questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cute Tips

Mastering it Geek!
Reaction score
Hello All

I have just been reading about contaminated brushes and have a couple of questions myself.

First off,

Which part of the brush is the 'ferrule' and how does it get contaminated?

I am having a bit of a problem with my brush at the moment. The brush is working fine and doing its job great but im worried I might be holding it wrong.
I use Creative's Ultra Sculptor and I tend to hold it on the silver part furthest from the actual brush (hope this makes sence) after applying my l&p the silver part of the brush where I have been holding is all sticky. I am pretty sure that this is not right but I cannot work out how I am managing to do it.

I feel comfortable with the brush, I have also read over and over again Gigi's tutorials on brush control.

Any ideas to what im doing wrong? and why this is happening?

I really dont want to contaminate it so early (I have only had it a couple of months) and I have a feeling that I could be doing just that!

Thanks,
Love
Rebecca.

the ferrule is the metal part of the brush and can be contaminated by liquid being held in it. It needs to be cleaned properly and stored correctly.

think thats right
Lucia
x

The furrell is the part where the bristles are all held together. If you store your brush flat or slightley at an angle with the bristles pointing up, then old monomer will collect in the furrell and contaminate the brush. Try to store your brush upright with the bristles pointing down, then if any monomer is still present when not in use then it won't collect in the furrell and contaminate your brush.

You can tell its contaminated when you dip in monomer, wipe on a tissue and it goes yellow. After every use, always rinse in CLEAN monomer, then wipe so your bristles are together neatly and store with bristles down, preferably protecting the brush in a case or cut down pippett. HTH's

Cute Tips said:
Hello All

I have just been reading about contaminated brushes and have a couple of questions myself.

First off,

Which part of the brush is the 'ferrule' and how does it get contaminated?

I am having a bit of a problem with my brush at the moment. The brush is working fine and doing its job great but im worried I might be holding it wrong.
I use Creative's Ultra Sculptor and I tend to hold it on the silver part furthest from the actual brush (hope this makes sence) after applying my l&p the silver part of the brush where I have been holding is all sticky. I am pretty sure that this is not right but I cannot work out how I am managing to do it.

I feel comfortable with the brush, I have also read over and over again Gigi's tutorials on brush control.

Any ideas to what im doing wrong? and why this is happening?

I really dont want to contaminate it so early (I have only had it a couple of months) and I have a feeling that I could be doing just that!

Thanks,
Love
Rebecca.
You are dipping the metal ferrule FERRULE (yes youdid spell it right) in the monomer along with the bristles and then getting your fingers into it. Be careful ... this can lead to overexposure and you do not want that!!

Yes Gigi, that might be what im doing, I will have to cheak.
Is it ok to hold the brush on the silver part?

Absolutely OK to hold the brush on the silver part.

Perhaps do not have so much monomer in your dappen dish.

Better to use less and to use it up and then fill up again. This will help to keep the metal out of the monomer as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back