Buff - the story of a salon - Part 2: the nightmare ends!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
It's a long one - sort of War and Peace proportions! ..................
Friday 27 May cont…
So the bombshell was … whilst I was with Grumpy the Landlord, I got a call to say that my builder had damaged his back and it would be too much for him to cope with. Heeeeeeeeelp, what do you do in times of crisis. Phone your mummy of course! She managed to persuade her builder to come out and have a look to see if he can help next Tuesday

Tuesday 31 May

Arranged to have the nail desks collected from Liverpool and delivered on Thursday - can’t wait.

We had our Tantrick training today - it’s such a fab system. My daughter provided 3 friends to be models and they all now sport lovely tans and not a tango in sight. Thanks Mandy and I really apologise about max’s behaviour, he’s a demon of a dog!

Alan the builder came out and came up with some great ideas to keep the costs down - he can do everything except the electrics which I had already sorted.

For the first time since I got the bank loan through in January I finally feel excited. Please god I pray to you not to let any more obstacles stand in my way. It has been a long saga, with the original premises falling through and then the Council teasing me, my builder letting me down and my landlord getting stroppy.

Weds 1 June

My prayers were not answered!! Today I hit an all time low after getting my enthusiasm up yesterday. The solicitor phoned up and said that the terms that the landlord and I had agreed worried him, in particular a fully insuring and repairing lease. He said this was out of order for a short term lease, funny cos all the shops I had looked at were all the same terms. I now have to go back to grumpy chops and renegotiate, which I’m not looking forward to … have you seen those progs with the Grumpy OLD Men, well this man is 1000000000000 times worse. So tomorrow I may suddenly not have a shop at all. Plus the solicitor said it would take 4-6 weeks for the legals to go through and not to do any work on the shop until they have gone through, otherwise I could refit the whole shop and then the landlord decide not to lease it to me.

Now I can understand all the above, but why am I having to negotiate - what exactly am I going to be paying my solicitor £800 - £1000 for? This whole project has been a rip off from one authority to the next.

I had also wondered when you watch theses programmes why all the building work was so last minute, with people having to work into the wee small hours to hit their opening deadline. Now I know. Because no bugger will pull their finger out for you to get the lease assigned over. No one cares. It’s just a bureaucratic paper fest.

Well I cracked. The months since I started this idea of opening my own salon and fulfilling a dream became a dark nightmare. I broke down in tears to my b/f on the phone, and then Pam my lovely, lovely client asked me if I was okay and I just howled. I felt so bad, she’d come into have her nails done and had this mad wailing banshee in front of her. But thank god it was Pam, she’s my longest standing client and she just let me sob my little heart out and gave me a big cuddle.

So today I hope is the lowest I will ever feel. If Grumpy won’t play the game then I’m going to up sticks and emigrate. I’ve been on working tax credit for the past 5 years since doing nails, I’m trying to get a real business up and running and employ more staff and GIVE back to this country some of the money it has given me to get going. But you know what, they don’t seem to want it back. The system just makes it as difficult as they possibly can to start a small business, so to anyone thinking of opening their own salon be warned, it’s a rocky rollercoaster of a ride.

FELT SO FED UP THAT I WROTE TO THE PRIME MINISTER - HOW DAMNED DIFFICULT IT IS TO START UP A SMALL BUSINESS AND WHAT’S HE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?? No doubt I’ll get a snotty reply from one of his little minions!! Watch this space!

Thursday 2 June

Woke up and thought “Destiny is trying to tell me I’m not meant to have my own salon, so if Grumpy the landlord ain‘t gonna play the game then neither am I!” Went and saw Grumpy’s assistant and told her my solicitor said that we had to change the terms of the lease or it’s a no go. Later that afternoon he sent me a snotty letter full of the proverbials accusing me of this that and the other. I phoned my solicitor and we both agreed that it was ADIOS GRUMPY!!

So now I have no salon! And do I care? Not a jot! This little chapter is just a snippet of what I have been experiencing for the past 6 months, a rollercoaster of slaps in the face and knock backs. So anyone daring to dream about opening their own salon, unless you are really lucky, be warned, your dream could be your next nightmare.

So now I am going to set up my own salon from home and give my self a chance to take stock and assess my future. For the first time in months I FEEL FREE AS A BIRD!!

I don't know what to say! That is so sad!! I'm sure your salon from your home will be utterley perfect and a haven of beautiful nail and relaxing treatments and everyone will love it!!

I'm so sorry it's not worked out for you, it really isn't fair! You deserve for it all to be perfect!!
Well done for trying, you deserve a medal!!

Best wishes!!

Tilly xx

Wow Sass you have been through the mill. I am glad to hear that you feel "free as a bird!".

I hope things go better for you now - relax and take stock and get rid of the stress of the last 6 months - unfortunately the grey hairs don't go as quickly as they appear when the stress goes LOL.

sorry to hear you have been through so much aggravation,

wish you well for the future.

oh my, i have been watching this post im sorry for all the crap these people have put you through,:mad: set your self up at home im sure every thing will be fine, not so much stress as well, good luck, chin up. wishing you lots and lots of luck for your new adventure. good luck.xxxxxxxxxx:hug:

aawww hun i really feel for ya, but i do think that things happen for a reason :D , so it might be you end up being better off than if you did have the salon , hope things go ok, lots of love dee xx :hug:

Destiny well and truely does not want you to have that particular shop - so good riddance to it and Grumpy Bloke - Hell, you want better than that and you will find it.

I'm sorry you've had to spend so much money, time and energy getting to where you are now just for it to all fall through......but......you have a wealth of experience now........so when the perfect shop comes up you'll know the right steps to take in the right order and it will all run smoothly :hug:

Relax and destress for a while - recharge your energy and emotional batteries then come out renewed and ready to rock and roll :D

Lots of love
Trin
xx

O no seems a shame, all ur hard work, but I’m a believer in fate and that just wasn’t the salon for u it will happen and when it does it will be the most perfect salon and it will just talk/ call to u then you will no!

I whish you all the luck in the world!!

Derry

I am the biggest believer in fate, and the last 6 months have been such agony that I think I must be being guided to another destiny, and that a salon is not meant to be mine. Thank you for all your kind words - and particularly for putting up with my stroppiness lately - now you can see why I was so stressed, and why I needed loads of hugs on Wednesday!

Onwards and upwards!

(ps look out on geekbay at the end of the month - should be a few bits and bobs up for sale!)

;)

Good Luck Sassy
With whatever you deciede.xoxoxox

It will be worth all the hassle in the long run

Love N Hugs
XX J XX

I'm sorry that things didn't work out with the salon, hun, but I'm sure you'll do yourself proud with whatever you set up at home.
Is there no way you can get a large log cabin or anything that will still house most of your lovely purchases?
At least you have a big ole weight off your shoulders now, anyway.
xxxx

Sarah, I am so sorry things haven't worked out as you wanted them too, I shed a private tear for you and all your anguish over the last few months.

But if it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be and karma will come back around.

You know you're great and are and will continue to be a fabulous success wherever your location.

Lots of love and hugs.

Cathie xxx

I'm beginning to think that I was very lucky in that the acquisition of my salon premises went so smoothly, and I have a great landlord.
I do not think that a salon was not meant to be, I believe that that particular property was not meant to be. from what you've said about the landlord, probably for the best.
You will find the right place and it will all go smoothly, like the right piece in a puzzle.
You do need a break from these past few months, you will be a success working from home and when the time is right you will move on. :hug:

You can bet your bottom dollar Sazzy, That once you start up at home and the Salon bug is behind you, The perfect Shop and lease will jump out and grab ya. I do believe in fate and like many have said this one was not to be.
But hey who knows what will be in the future for you.
All the Best

Hi there, just wanted to send a big hug to you and I am sure you will do great from your home salon.

I am in similar position to yourself (stressed to the hilt for the past 6 months) and am leaving my salon to go it alone from home in a few weeks. Take a breather and things will turn out just fine.

Good luck.

Sam

Wow sass!!!
When I saw this thread I was already for the next installment of your red tape fiasco... but it was just like 'Desparate Housewives' .... Rex Cant die :rolleyes: ... and for a moment, I felt the same here! You cant give up on your dream!!!! Well I guess you havent, just shelved things for a while, and all that strain you were under would have prob left a nasty re-occurring aftertaste with the place, so maybe its for the best!
So, heres to your freedom, your future, your new salon... whether it be a home-salon or the place thats just waiting for you to discover its whereabouts... good luck hun... you deserve some! :hug:

Oh Dear.... I do hope your home salon goes really well after all you've been through!!

The log cabin idea is a good one... I had been tempted, in the beginning to cnvert my garage!!! I think you have made the right decision though on the property front, as the landlord may well know of several faults with the building which you could have been held responsible for!!! I came across a similar situation with my lease and was lucky enough to be able to change it!!
You just need to hang on in there, because a little step back can sometimes be a blessing in diguise.... there may well be another perfect salon just round the corner!!!

Keep your chin up!!! Suex

oh sarah after all the sweat, blood and tears but like you i truly believe infate and what is ment to be will be
i also believe in karma.............so grumpy man... stand by :evil: :wink2:
hugs for you and your future hun :hug:

Dear Sarah, So sorry your dream salon was a nightmare salon. I have never met you but from the vibes i get from reading your threads you are a strong woman who can really hold her own and think clearly. You will rise again and the salon of your dreams will be fantastic! for now chill out and collect yourself, we all know you will be opening the champagne soon! I take my hat off to you for all the grief you have had to put up with and send you big hugs and well wishes for the future! I'll watch this space sass.
Love Debs XX

Do you know Sarah..... you will do well, as many others have said, things happen for a reason and they do - you'll see.

If this now means you will start up Buff as a home salon I am sure you'll have loads of clients coming to you and know you'll not have the headache of Mr Grumpy Guts and proverbial Red Tape of the delightful Council. When I left you the other day, I visited a lady who is sucsessfully running an amazing home based salon and is SOOOOO busy!!!!

You take care of yourself Sass, chin up and give Max and Tristan a big hug from me!

Mandy xx

Latest posts

Back