Buff - the story of a salon - Part 2: the nightmare ends!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww, my dear friend...

I'm sooo sorry to hear that things did not work out in your favor, but do keep your chin up and that upper lip stiff, all this means is that there is something 2,000 times bigger and better out there for you...remember that "delays are NOT denials!!"

Love ya my sassy hassy boo!!:D

It is a shame that things did not work out better for you, but from the sounds of it you did exactly the right thing. If the landlord was that grumpy to start with then further into the lease he only would have got worse and if you had any problems he may have caused even more trouble for you.

You have done the right thing. Concentrate on your home salon, I am sure you will make a brilliant success of it...Good Luck and Best Wishes

Good luck with your home salon - I am sure it will be a great success as you sound like a lady who knows what she wants. I agree with the others, fate is a funny thing and I am sure that the right place will turn up when you least expect it. Take care, chill out and let the last 6 months fade as a distant memory. :biggrin:

I think that you should keep hold of all your stuff and hunt for a new premises, this one was obviously not meant to be but the next one will be better!!!

Good luck Sassy, i'm sure you'll suceed in your next endevear!!!! :hug:

you poor thing :hug:
i sooo know where you are coming from.
i've been in business for 18 yrs now, & 1 day i will write a book about my experiences, really, they would fill a book :eek:

there are as many ups as there were downs, just!, but is was all a learning curve.

if i could give anyone a few bits of advice they would b:

1. NEVER do anything on "a gentleman's agreement". even if the "gentleman" is a long standing freind of yours :eek: . always use a solicitor.

2. always have more money than you think you will need (easier said than done). i spent the 1st 10 yrs, borrowing money, working hard, paying it back, borrow more money.... & so on.

3. don't get too big. the VAT man will take you for everything you've got.

every bit of grief i've had in the last 18 yrs can b brought down to 1 of these 3 things, one way or another.

all that said, ive watched lots of people open salons and for no fault of their own, have had to close.
all the plannong in the world doesnt guarrentee you sucess.

you did the right thing, always follow your instincts, either set up from home, as you know lots of geeks have done this, and are very happy.
if i had more space at home, i would consider it, but it would have to be completely seperate. i've had the displeasure of having my whole salon in my house twice due to re-location, it wasn't funny :eek:
or continue looking, sometimes a house that is for rent is a good option, but the change of use takes some time.
these landlords are used to short term agreements and may b less hassle.

chin up, take a few deep breaths, and well done for sharing your experience on here, it may of made someone think twice about making a hasty decision.

liza

Aww :cry:
Lots of sympathy, that sounds like a nightmare :hug:

Good luck to you Sarah in what ever you decide to do.

wow i nearly cried for you im going through trying to open my own salon but keep falliing at the 1st hurdle every time i found somewhere it falls through or some one under cuts me im currently looking at my 3rd property and its an established buisness but i still have my doubts

but most respect to you hope the home salon goes well and u fullfill all your dreams xxxxx

Goodbye to mr grumpy pants and Hello to the beginning of yor new adventure as there is sure to be one!

I wish you all the luck with your home salon

Vannessa :D

Thank you all for your kind wishes - just broke the news to my daughter at uni that she's lost her bedroom, didn't go down too well, but it's empty for about 48 weeks of the year so seemed silly not to use it until I decied what to do next.

Liza your advice is brilliant. Geeg had already advised me that whatever I budgetted for then borrow at least double and she was right, it costs more that you think to get things going.

I now know that before entering into anything seek legal advice first, rather than agreeing between yourselves and then having to go back and renegotiate because you've been had over by an unscrupulous landlord.

And the vat thing, well thank god I never got that far.

My saddest part was telling Kelly that she would no longer have a job. She is such a sweetheart and we get on so well. She's worked part time for me for a year, and was going full time when she finished her level 3 beauty in July. I'm trying to persuade her to set up her own mobile business, but she's too scared. I wish her all the best, I've lost a good therapist and a darling girl who has had me in fits of laughter so many times. If someone in the Fareham area needs a good therapist I can't recommend her highly enough.

Sarah

Ask Kelly to ring and speak to Charlotte at The Haven hun, she's off to oz soon and im not sure if, typical i've forgotten the name of the other lady there ! they have started looking for a replacement. Lovely lovely place and just down the road from where you guys are at present !

Just tell Charlotte i suggested to call just in case there is a vacancy still

kx

Sassy Hassy said:
Thank you all for your kind wishes - just broke the news to my daughter at uni that she's lost her bedroom, didn't go down too well, but it's empty for about 48 weeks of the year so seemed silly not to use it until I decied what to do next.

Liza your advice is brilliant. Geeg had already advised me that whatever I budgetted for then borrow at least double and she was right, it costs more that you think to get things going.

I now know that before entering into anything seek legal advice first, rather than agreeing between yourselves and then having to go back and renegotiate because you've been had over by an unscrupulous landlord.

And the vat thing, well thank god I never got that far.

My saddest part was telling Kelly that she would no longer have a job. She is such a sweetheart and we get on so well. She's worked part time for me for a year, and was going full time when she finished her level 3 beauty in July. I'm trying to persuade her to set up her own mobile business, but she's too scared. I wish her all the best, I've lost a good therapist and a darling girl who has had me in fits of laughter so many times. If someone in the Fareham area needs a good therapist I can't recommend her highly enough.

Thanks Karren I will, Kelly didn't want to go into another salon as she was worried about the bitching you get in some of these places, but knowing how lovely Charlotte is, it could be just the place for her. It would be such a shame for her to give up after 3 years of training.

Sassy Hassy said:

all the grief you have been through..and still thinking of others!! i sincerely hope things get better for ya....you will find bigger and better (and cheaper;) heres hoping) premises !! STUFF GRUMPY CHOPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amb x

Hi my Sassy friend :hug:

I am so sorry to hear that Kelly had to loose her job, just reading your posts brought a few tears to my eyes because I know how bad you wanted your salon but as hard as it is to accept Ms Matrix was right when she said there is something far better out there just waiting for you to come along. Who needs Grumpy old men anyway!!!!

I am very happy for you that you are doing this at your home, you are going to do very well. I can even come and help you decorate!!!

I wish you all the success in the world hun and hope all your dreams come true!!!

Love ya lots!!! :hug: :hug:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the start of the big transformation. Decided that it would be too unkind to make my eldest daughter lose her room completely so Natalie is moving into the 2nd bedroon as it's massive (this is the one I would have used), and will split it so Elizabeth will still have her own space. Broken two nails so far (they're natural) which is pants!

you're more than welcome to come and help decorate Rose (promise I won't take you to a garden centre this time!!). Are you any good at laying laminate flooring!

Sassy Hassy said:
you're more than welcome to come and help decorate Rose (promise I won't take you to a garden centre this time!!). Are you any good at laying laminate flooring!

Yesssss!!! :hug:

I have given it a go before and it stayed stuck :D so I don't know if that can be classed as good :irked:

Just let me know when you're gonna start, I don't have a home to decorate (I rent!) so I would really love to help!!! I don't really get my hands dirty much so it will be a wonderful "experience"!!! Ohhhh! Max can keep us company!! :D

Great idea about the bedroom, I'm sure Elizabeth is relieved, bless her!!

xxxx

Sass, just a thought hun, but why dont you stay where you are ??? you know exactly what you are getting already so no further stress there and no further expenditure ! you have the rooms you want / need and you have the licence etc and separate room for your perm makeup ? kelly can stay and advertising and clients wont be disrupted ?

kx

It had crossed my mind! But you know what it's like, once you decide that where you are isn't the right place and it's time to move, it's hard to sum up the inspiration to go back. I even asked Kelly if she fancied staying there, but she knows all the bad points about the place and declined.

This will give me the breathing space I need before I come up with my next hair brained scheme (where does that saying come from?, Does it mean if you're bald you don't get them!)

I hope Louise is going to loan me the room on an ad hoc basis so I can still do the permanent makeup.

I really feel for you, what a nightmare. I'm also a big believer in fate so hopefully theres something bigger and better out there waiting for you.

Chin up and good luck

Just to let you know that I am hapiier than I have been in a very long time, I feel like a very different person and it seems that everything turned out for the best in the end! Don't ya just lurrrve destiny!

Latest posts

Back