Buffing before Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ54

Reaction score
Is it ok to buff nails before applying shellac? After removal the nail plate is never smooth. I know that buffing should not be required. Iam getting so frustrated with my own nails because I do buff them but it can't be doing them any good. I have applied IBX twice and smoothing gel but it seems to be removal that's the problem. I use d.solve for 10 mins it always needs to be gently pushed off with orange wood stick then soak pad with dissolve place on nail for a min then rub but can't get a smooth surface without a buff with koala buffer. Thanks for any tips.

Are you using smoothing gel under the shellac? If so you need to soak for 15 mins not 10 x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wrap for longer if you have to, making sure the pads won't dry out and reharden the product.

Sorry yes I do leave for 15 mins when using smoothing gel. Should it be left on for longer than 10 if it's just shellac for easier removal. I remember at training that it starts to harden again if left on for longer than the 10 mins. How smooth should nail plate be before reapplying?

Are you using nourishing remover or acetone? A lot of other geeks have noticed the nourishing remover isn't doing the job as well as it was. (There was a thread about it one here).

Also, is your base thin enough? Thick base coat will make it harder to remove.

When I remove shellac I just slides straight off, some may need a gentle nudge with an orange stick, but there's never anything left behind.

I would re wrap after 10 mins if it's not coming off. I wouldn't buff the natural nail....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Iam thinking because the nail plate is not smooth it is taking more base coat to cover the nail and maybe that's why it's not coming off cleanly. So should it just be done again with fresh d.solve until it comes away?

Aftercare, or rather lack of it and also going longer than 14 days, as well as not having your base coat thin enough will all factor into removal time.

It won't reharden if the pads are wet enough. When you have gone as far as you safely can with the orange wood stick make sure you are holding a saturated pad on the nail for 10 seconds and then scrubbing off before unwrapping the next nail.

Latest posts

Back