Buffing nail before Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade-v

Reaction score
Hey geek, I trained with shellac with one of there beginner courses which is the manicure and shellac application. I was told not to buff the nail.
In college today (nvq) tutor was talking about manicure and I said I was told not to buff when doing shellac and she said that's wrong and I would of been told to buff. I'm pretty sure I wasn't!

You don't need to buff with shellac, some other brands of polish you do, if you've been trained with sweet squared they will tell you the same.xx

Buffing the natural nail prior to Shellac application is a big no no and one of the biggest advantages to using CND Shellac.

Why don't you go on the CND website and print out the instruction and take in for your tutor.

Last edited:
Hi jade, maybe your tutor was thinking you were referring to gel polish and not actual CND Shellac. The method is in your manual hun and we were not taught to buff the nail so you are right! x

It does sound as if she was talking about "shellac" as in generic for all gel polish, as opposed to CND Shellac. CND has long touted no buffing as a primary benefit of CND Shellac. Some other gel polishes don't require buffing, but CND really promotes no buffing of the natural nail prior to application and no buffing of the top coat for removal.

Trust your CND training Jade, your tutor is wrong and you are correct. No buffing of the natural nail at all with CND Shellac. :Love:

Has anyone tried buffing the nail prior to shellac? Does it stop the shellac lasting longer or is it advised not to do this so you don't damage the nails?

I usually buff over with a gentle block file if I have just removed shellac to make sure it's smooth and the shellac is completely gone- is this ok or not?

Has anyone tried buffing the nail prior to shellac? Does it stop the shellac lasting longer or is it advised not to do this so you don't damage the nails?

I usually buff over with a gentle block file if I have just removed shellac to make sure it's smooth and the shellac is completely gone- is this ok or not?

Shellac was designed to not require buffing the nail at all, meaning that if done properly the whole application and removal process does ZERO damage at all, no matter how gentle you buff the nail, it is damaging and thinning it, even though it's not much. And the thing is that little bit of buffing you do won't affect adhesion, but if your doing it every time you remove then your slightly thinning the nail again and again and again, and you'll get to a point where you've done a lot of damage, and it's not necessary at all.. When you remove, you wrap for 10 minutes, pull off each wrap 1 at a time remove what you can with a orange wood stick and then with a cotton pad with acetone give the nail a good scrub and that gets all the little pieces off. Then once you've pepped the nails again for reapplication and scrub freshed the nails will be completely clean ready for the fresh application.

Latest posts

Back