Buffing toenails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailtech770

Reaction score
Greetings!

I have heard quite a multitude of things regarding buffing toenails before a basic pedicure. I was taught to do so, and am quite surprised that multitude were taught quite the opposite.

What do you professionals do? What have you been taught?

Best,

I've been in beauty both as therapist and lecturer for over 30 years and I don't think I've ever come across any specific advice either way!
My personal thoughts are that buffing should not be done as standard in every pedicure.
Thorough & correct cuticle removal should remove any 'roughness' on the nail prior to polish application.
If you are applying gel polish then this will self level and hide any unevenness anyway.
On rare occasion I have buffed a big toe nail to smooth it a bit but only if the nail has good thickness. I wouldn't buff any thin nails.

I've been in beauty both as therapist and lecturer for over 30 years and I don't think I've ever come across any specific advice either way!
My personal thoughts are that buffing should not be done as standard in every pedicure.
Thorough & correct cuticle removal should remove any 'roughness' on the nail prior to polish application.
If you are applying gel polish then this will self level and hide any unevenness anyway.
On rare occasion I have buffed a big toe nail to smooth it a bit but only if the nail has good thickness. I wouldn't buff any thin nails.

Interesting, indeed. I have always buffed very very little. I'll keep this in mind.

Generally speaking, I think buffing is to be avoided since it does thin the nail. For most people though, toenails are thicker than fingernails, the buffing of toenails is done far less often than fingernails, and toenails are kept shorter, all of which mitigate the impact of buffing. So I'm not as set against buffing in a pedicure as in a manicure.

CFBS makes a good point that gel polish will even out any unevenness, making buffing unnecessary even in a pedicure.

Generally speaking, I think buffing is to be avoided since it does thin the nail. For most people though, toenails are thicker than fingernails, the buffing of toenails is done far less often than fingernails, and toenails are kept shorter, all of which mitigate the impact of buffing. So I'm not as set against buffing in a pedicure as in a manicure.

CFBS makes a good point that gel polish will even out any unevenness, making buffing unnecessary even in a pedicure.

I think I am sold on not buffing anymore. I was taught differently but you can teach this old gal new tricks. 🤭

Latest posts

Back