SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emsi

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here..
So I got my certificate a few weeks ago and as I’ve been adviced, I went to my local capital hair&beauty. When I asked if they have any soak off gels (builder gel, not gel polish) they recommended the soak off UV builder base gel, also referred to as “builder in a bottle” by the manicure company. They told me how it’s an easy soak off builder gel, but with an easier application method so I thought I’m gonna give it a try. I also got a basic builder gel by the same brand, just so I can compare the two.
Everything went very well until I got to removal. During the application process I did everything exactly as instructed by the manufacturer and even though they claim it soaks off with acetone in 15-20 minutes, I was sitting there for an hour and still had some residue from the gel left on my nails.
When removing, I first buffed off the top coat and the gel polish, I actually thinned it down quite a bit (careful not to touch the natural nail plate ofc) and then wrapped my fingers in foil, with a cotton pad soaked in acetone (I use the salonsystem 100% pure acetone). I left it on for 20 minutes and then went in to check, as I believed it would’ve been all soaked off by now, and almost nothing has happened. So I warapped them up again and left it for an other 40-50 minutes and even then there was some left of the gel still... I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong since I did everything exactly as I learned and was instructed by the manufacturer, and based off the reviews off the product I use, others don’t seem to have this problem..
Dumb question I know but is there maybe a difference in quality and/or strength in different brands of acetone?? I mean pure acetone from one brand should be the same as pure acetone from an other brand but still... I have no better idea as to what can the problem be.
Any ideas or advice??
Again, I’m a newbie, I don’t have a lot of experience and I’m quite lost at this point.
Thank you!

You could have left it on a bit too long, the acetone would have evaporated by then and the nails hardened.
I would wrap and leave for 10 mins (saturate those pads) and then try the first one to see how easy it comes off.
Hope that helps!

Hi, newbie here..
So I got my certificate a few weeks ago and as I’ve been adviced, I went to my local capital hair&beauty. When I asked if they have any soak off gels (builder gel, not gel polish) they recommended the soak off UV builder base gel, also referred to as “builder in a bottle” by the manicure company. They told me how it’s an easy soak off builder gel, but with an easier application method so I thought I’m gonna give it a try. I also got a basic builder gel by the same brand, just so I can compare the two.
Everything went very well until I got to removal. During the application process I did everything exactly as instructed by the manufacturer and even though they claim it soaks off with acetone in 15-20 minutes, I was sitting there for an hour and still had some residue from the gel left on my nails.
When removing, I first buffed off the top coat and the gel polish, I actually thinned it down quite a bit (careful not to touch the natural nail plate ofc) and then wrapped my fingers in foil, with a cotton pad soaked in acetone (I use the salonsystem 100% pure acetone). I left it on for 20 minutes and then went in to check, as I believed it would’ve been all soaked off by now, and almost nothing has happened. So I warapped them up again and left it for an other 40-50 minutes and even then there was some left of the gel still... I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong since I did everything exactly as I learned and was instructed by the manufacturer, and based off the reviews off the product I use, others don’t seem to have this problem..
Dumb question I know but is there maybe a difference in quality and/or strength in different brands of acetone?? I mean pure acetone from one brand should be the same as pure acetone from an other brand but still... I have no better idea as to what can the problem be.
Any ideas or advice??
Again, I’m a newbie, I don’t have a lot of experience and I’m quite lost at this point.
Thank you!

If I’m soaking a builder base what I would normally do is file off all of the colour using an efile leaving the builder base careful not to touch the natural nail. Then I get plastic manicure bowls that are originally for soaking the cuticles and pour in some acetone and soak both hands :) or else work using alternating hands. Saves a lot of time best of luck [emoji177]

I noticed that with The Gel Bottle's BIAB, after wrapping and leaving for about 10 mins and then taking tbe foil off, it doesnt look like the acetone has done anything but if you gently start to scrape the product off, you'll notice it has actually melted. An additional 10 mins of wrapping should finish the removal. And remember to work on one finger at a time. Also try filing the surface of the remaining product before re-wrapping. Xx

Hi, newbie here..
Any ideas or advice??
Thank you!
Im not keen on the ss acetone, I know acetone is acetone but for some reason this one didn't seem to soak off as well as others

You could have left it on a bit too long, the acetone would have evaporated by then and the nails hardened.
I would wrap and leave for 10 mins (saturate those pads) and then try the first one to see how easy it comes off.
Hope that helps!
I second this [emoji1362]

I contacted the manicure company about this and they said
1. Carefully remove top coat with file
2. Soak/wrap as normal for 5 minutes then gently push off the top layer.
3. Apply acetone again and wait 5/10 minutes.

They said ectended soaking has tje opposite affect but I haven't mastered tje removal yet, am struggling too hut this method is going a LOT better than what I was doing before. Let me know if you figure out any tips!

Latest posts

Back