Builder in a bottle

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanyer21

Nail addict
Reaction score
I’m a little confused about the new craze with builder in a bottle

Is this different to just your normal gel overlay ?
I have done builder gel for years under a gel polish colour and from reading up I gather this builder gel in a bottle is the same technique built up to give strength then buffed in , or am I missing something and is it better ?

I think most BIABs are being treated as a tougher gel base coat. A lot of clients now want the "natural nail life" so are using BIAB to grow their natural nails in a way that THEY believe is less damaging than acrylic.
Some BIABs are stronger than others. There's a very popular one out there that a lot of techs on Instagram use, I believe it's designed for overlays and tiny extensions (chipped natural nail repair, extending one nail shorter than the rest etc).
The BIAB I use is designed for salon length extensions using tips or sculpting forms. It can also be used for overlay when used with a rubber base coat.
The technique varies from brand to brand. For mine, cuticle prep, etch natural nail, scrub rubber base into the natural nail, cure, thin layer BIAB, cure, thick layer BIAB for structure, flip the hand over to level and form apex, cure, gel polish/topcoat.

BIAB should NOT be used on nails that don't need extra strength, despite some nail techs offering BIAB as there standard basecoat, with no softer alternative. Strong nails + Strong BIAB = hard nails that are prone to breakage/trauma when knocked. There's no flex.

I don't know which builder gel you use, so cant say whether a BIAB would be better, but if you have used the same product for years, maybe it's time to see what else it out there

I think most BIABs are being treated as a tougher gel base coat. A lot of clients now want the "natural nail life" so are using BIAB to grow their natural nails in a way that THEY believe is less damaging than acrylic.
Some BIABs are stronger than others. There's a very popular one out there that a lot of techs on Instagram use, I believe it's designed for overlays and tiny extensions (chipped natural nail repair, extending one nail shorter than the rest etc).
The BIAB I use is designed for salon length extensions using tips or sculpting forms. It can also be used for overlay when used with a rubber base coat.
The technique varies from brand to brand. For mine, cuticle prep, etch natural nail, scrub rubber base into the natural nail, cure, thin layer BIAB, cure, thick layer BIAB for structure, flip the hand over to level and form apex, cure, gel polish/topcoat.

BIAB should NOT be used on nails that don't need extra strength, despite some nail techs offering BIAB as there standard basecoat, with no softer alternative. Strong nails + Strong BIAB = hard nails that are prone to breakage/trauma when knocked. There's no flex.

I don't know which builder gel you use, so cant say whether a BIAB would be better, but if you have used the same product for years, maybe it's time to see what else it out there

thankyou for your reply
I use ibd for gel overlays and extensions. For the builder is a bottle I tried the Naio nails but when you just use it as a thin layer it just peels off the way you are supposed to use it would be no difference to using the ibd gel :/

CND has two products in their Plexigel line that I use. Shaper is a thinner clear gel that can be used under Shellac or worn alone. It’s more flexible with one coat and is soak-off.

Builder is just that, used much as Kyralouise mentioned above. Builder also comes in flesh tones.

Latest posts

Back