Building free edges without forms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Please note: the nail bed in this tutorial is quite damaged.
Done this, this afternoon, to try and help a few of those that arnt quite sure how to do it.

carry out your usual prep etc

1. If possible try and straighten the (non-existent) free edge

2. apply a light coating of oil to skin, above free edge. (this helps to release the product from the skin.

3. build free edge, butting product up to natural nail

4. apply clear l/p to zones 1 2 3
  • if using custom blend on nailbed, only apply to nail bed, butting it up to your free edge, then apply clear over the entire nail.
5. finish nail in usual manner -

pic 5 is finished with clear L/P
pic 6 has a ccb nail bed

dont forget to release the skin from underneath the free edge....

hope this has helped

Attachments

• nail before.jpg
    nail before.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,069
  • apply oil.jpg
    apply oil.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,230
  • apply free edge.jpg
    apply free edge.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,908
  • zone 1 2 3.jpg
    zone 1 2 3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,200
  • finished nail.jpg
    finished nail.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,449
  • custom blend nailbed.jpg
    custom blend nailbed.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,079
Wow I never knew you could do that!!!

Brilliant tutorial G, i learnt this on my course but have never had to do it, actually i had forgot all about it untill ive just read this lol

Thanks for sharing and jogging my memory :hug:

learnt about doing a similar thing last week on my Bio Sculpting workshop last week, havent had a go yet, so works just a well with gel too!

Thanks for the demo G!

Great tutorial Glynis, can this method be used on someone if there nail bed is bitten down to half the size you had to work with
My neighbour keeps asking me to do something with her nails but she bites them so bad there is only about 4 to 5 mm of nail plate left on the nail bed, every time she asks i just laugh and say yes i could put you in handcuffs so you cant bite them, but i would like to be able to help her if it is possible

nice one glynis ,xxx
and to all the geeks who have ever asked me how i do my nail biters nails , ...this is more or less how lol :green:
i could never put it into words ,
i work back to front though, i do zone 2 then zone 3 , and then build my free edge and overlay with clear xxxx

You are a true insperation G - thank you :hug:

great thread mum!!!
oh happy mothers day btw!!
sorry its late
im going to try this technique from now on!!

Great tutorial thanks for showing us.

your so clever babes...and that nails looks just right for a fella....great work xx

if you didn't know, you'd never guess it wasn't natural, thanks for this:hug:

Wow!

I was going to ask after one of your last threads how to do this but you've beat me to it.

My poor daughter is going have to lend me hands at the weekend, I think this would be ideal for her.

Thanks again Gylnis!

Teri x:hug:

I think that this is fantastic! I never thought about doing this.

well done for another fab tutorial!:hug:

Very clever - the before and after pictures don't look like they could possibly be the same:)

great tutorial.the quality of the pictures is very clear.i never realised you could do this untill i found this website.:)

My client tonight had nails almost identical to your first pic Glynis. I knew she was coming so I was relieved when I saw your tutorial today. My client wanted a white French zone 1 so I butted up this to her free edge (in zone 2 really) then put perfect pink in zones 2 and 3 and then put clear over all three zones. I used the solar oil as you suggested under the man-made free edge and they looked pretty good.

I am worried that the oil will make them lift but I did put it on sparingly. What about over exposure? Its the first time I have had this client.. it should be ok on this one occasion shouldn't it?

It certainly made it a quicker service and to be honest I thought looked more natural than when I have applied a saddled tip and overlay. The client was very happy. I would have preferred to do a natural free edge but she was insistent lol!

Thanks for the idea Glynis.. fingers crossed that the procedure will be successful :)

FAB tutorial thanks Glynis!!! :)

brilliant, i never knew you could do that, i wonder if it works on small toes too?

Instructions are spot on and well shown honey. It is ont of me favorite ways to enhance a bitten nail. And yes toes can be done the same way :) xx

great tutorial and great work. You've done a miracle on these nails!!!Well done!!

Latest posts

Back