Building free edges without forms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fab tutorial well explained and great photos.

So due i understand this right, due you sculp right on the skin?? sorry just want to see if i gets this right before i give it a go

Did you use clear powder to build the free edge?

Though very doable, I would really caution about this technique as the oil wont stop monomer from penetrating into the skin. If anything, it may actually facilitate the absorption of monomer into the skin.

Though it would be rare, this could constitute negligence if the client developed an allergic reaction from the application as all manufacturers recommend to avoid all skin contact.

I was just going to ask if the oil (particularly Solar Oil) would cause the monomer to be drawn into the skin, rather than block it. Glad I read all the way to the bottom. :D Maybe you could use something like vasalene or a mineral oil instead? Something that can't penetrate the skin but acts as a barrier.

I'd also like to know what color you used for the free edge--looks like a blend? Very natural looking and could be used on a male nail biter!

i take it this is what you were talking about in the cat room....thanks!!!!

this is what techs should do for people who have extremely bitten nails...

Trying this out today, but why clear no pink powder on nail bed?

Hi,

Some of my mums nails are like this and she has asked me to put a set on her, as I am new I said wait awhile, but as I have seen this I will give it a go.

Would you recommend a hard gel or a soft gel to do this with?

Glynnis, what was the colour you used for the free edge, it's a brilliant looking natural nail colour.
I've made up a pot of Gigi's 'secret' free edge colour, but your does look more 'real' particularly for a bloke.
Thanks hun xxx

Ohhhh man I totally forgot about this tutorial! I really wish I'd seen this before I started the worst biter I've ever seen in my LIFE. I used forms and it's *okayyyy* but this would have worked so much better.

Hello, this is my first post, so please bear with me. I was just wondering if it would be an idea to clip off the "wings" or sides of a form and affix it to the nailbed to protect from over-exposure? As in cutting out a small square piece just big enough to cover the nail bed, not for actually sculpting. You have probably tried this and gotten ugly results?

fantastic how cooool so what blend have you used for the free edge ?? xx

Great tutorial! Your pics are fab! I ran across this tutorial last week and lo and behold, my thumb nail broke to the quick a few days later. I used this method last night and have a beautiful brand new thumb nail.

Thanks so much for sharing. XOXOXO :)

Hello all

Just wanted to pick up the point that has been made about the skin being in contact with the monomer. I was told in college that this was a massive no no , (in fact the tutor used to have a fit if she saw you doing it ) and that you had customise a nail to fit if you were working on a client with bitten nails. This looks like a brilliant way to do it and I wouldnt mind trying it on myself but I would like to know what everyones opinion is on this method against fitting a false nail method .

Lynda

This is great. Can it be done for a nail bitter too? x

Brilliant tutorial! Im trying this out on the hubby later xx

What colour & make of product did you use for the free edge, it looks so natural?x

Very interesting. Gonna try this i think. Good pictures too.

Latest posts

Back