Building your Mobile/Home Business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which has been the best method of building your mobile/home business?

• Standard Directory Listing (Yellow Pages/Thompson etc)

Votes: 42 12.4%
  • Full Advert Listing (with above directories etc)

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Local Newspaper Advertising

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Poster/Flyer Ads in Local Stores/Boards

Votes: 31 9.1%
  • Flyer Drops (door to door etc)

Votes: 57 16.8%
  • "Accidental" dropping of your business card at every opportunity!

Votes: 35 10.3%
  • Recommendations/Word of Mouth

Votes: 233 68.7%
  • Going everywhere in uniform, badge and a pocket full of cards and a fab set of nails on!

Votes: 38 11.2%

• Total voters
thanks chris, I'll check them out!

Hollyballoo said:
Great links there Chris - maybe you could add them to the Links page for future use?

Not too sure how to go about and do that but I will have a look and work it out. Glad to be of help :wink2:

chrisbow said:
Not too sure how to go about and do that but I will have a look and work it out. Glad to be of help :wink2:

GMG has just added a new area for advertising in Links - try popping them here ;).

Hi - had thought of this idea myself & just might take it up !!
So far my best has been word of mouth & i'm also quite cheeky & ask ladies in shops etc( if they have nails ) where they have theirs done.
If they're local I offer a business card & they're usually 2 polite to refuse !!!! Well you never know - they've got the number if they do want to ring !!!
Just get our name out there - people need to know your there otherwise they'll never find you.
Just hang in there
good luck Jayney m
Sassy Hassy said:
Has anyone put flyers under the wipers on people's cars. Have thought about doing this after a client of mine who has her own business (an undies shop) did it and got a good response, or handing out flyers in the street? Just wondered if there were any legal applications with this - my client said just do it and then if there's any come back then plead innocence and promise not to do it again!!

Hiya x

I did some leaflets in December and did door drops, on the back i put a 2005 calender. I did this as cos i thought it was bit different and also it would help clients when booking to see the dates, at the bottom was a space to write the appointment time/date. They did go down quite well and have seen them on a few fridges at peoples house, so they seem to be keeping them around if only for the calender, but at least they arnt in the bin.

xxx

Hollyballoo said:
GMG has just added a new area for advertising in Links - try popping them here ;).

Hi

All added - enjoy :biggrin:

best ever response (apart from word of mouth being the first) was an article about me and my business in a local newspaper.

I've been working from home for ten years now and the only advertising I do is hrough word of mouth.These's nothing better,do a good job and they will tell everyone on the other hand do a bad job and they will tell everyone.
Sam

Buisness is steady away right now,i have never advertised,but i am still in uniform when i do the nursery run.My clientel is based on recomendations.

should have had other on there too as I advertise on my car x

I also did a massage live on our local radio and that helped. I also do loads of charity work for local schools.

I also find my website brings in more than anywhere. I am also on yell.com x

For me it's been the leaflet drops to kick start interest with word of mouth recommendations from these clients. I would say word of mouth is the most effective now, I am thinking of offering an incentive for clients who pass people on to me in form of money off/voucher etc.

I have also done a couple of talks promoting my business which although nervewracking have brought in some loyal clients. I also placed a very inexpensive advert (£45) for full page entire year in a local advertising magazine which has already paid for itself.

Newspaper advertising has been very ineffective for me. I spent £200+ at Christmas and the paper even managed to cock the ad up saying I offered spa 'facilities' instead of spa 'facials'. Have you ever seen a Jacuzzi in the back of a Citroen Berlingo?! I would get some business if I did. Ha ha! x

most of my client shave come from word of mouth, a few from ads in the local rag. I love the key ring idea.

Most of my clients come from my website, leaflet drops and word of mouth

I do special promosions. I do salon days in the clients home, they will give me a room for a day and book all their friends in and I will go there and do all these nails, and then I will give them theirs for free. That is if there is more than 3 fully paying customers. Saves me the money to drive around and do my advertising really..... Also I can do more customers in the day in that way, because I don't have to pack and unpack all the time. And I always do remember to tell them that everyone has the same opportunity. Quite good way to get the clientele really.
:)

I get my flyers distributed door to door with the other grocery & department store flyers.

For each 'drop', I get calls and they pay for themselves.

And from those calls, once they are clients, they give me referrals.

ALSO another thing I do is everytime I'm at the mall, I leave flyers in the bathrooms, or on tables in the foodcourts.

Also I solicited a few girls that work at boutiques into coming to see me for their nails for a reduced price (this gets "my nails" seen more by the public) and I offer a referral program. For every 5, the person gets a freebie of their choice.
Working good so far.

I need to approach boutique staff again. The girl I had in a boutique quit her job LOL

I have slowly found success with word of mouth. Mostly because it's free and advertising costs $. My husband already a bit pieved at the $ I have spent thus far for courses, supplies and retail. But it takes $ to make $ right? Also it makes me feel safer to know that the client is a friend of a friend etc. instead of going to someones house blind. I would hate to end up at someones house who is a wierdo who makes me feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

I have tried everything on the poll....my sign sits at the end of my drive....as well ....when I first got here I went to allott of the B&B's ....also local buisiness's ..but have found through all of them word of mouth is by far the best .....

I haven't been mobile for that long so most of my business is through friends or friends. I have placed free listings with yellow pages & thomson local but not had response yet :cry: .
Next month i have got a colour advert going in a local magazine which has 60,000 readers (or so they claim!) so i am keeping my fingers crossed for that.
The magazine also offered me a half page editorial & advert for 12 months for about £490 which i did consider until i realised there writer would be getting £'s worth of treatments for free...they weren't even willing to knock any money off ! I can't complain though as the fee for the advert i am having is quite cheap considering it is a monthly with full health & beauty section.

Latest posts

Back