Building your Mobile/Home Business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which has been the best method of building your mobile/home business?

• Standard Directory Listing (Yellow Pages/Thompson etc)

Votes: 42 12.4%
  • Full Advert Listing (with above directories etc)

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Local Newspaper Advertising

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Poster/Flyer Ads in Local Stores/Boards

Votes: 31 9.1%
  • Flyer Drops (door to door etc)

Votes: 57 16.8%
  • "Accidental" dropping of your business card at every opportunity!

Votes: 35 10.3%
  • Recommendations/Word of Mouth

Votes: 233 68.7%
  • Going everywhere in uniform, badge and a pocket full of cards and a fab set of nails on!

Votes: 38 11.2%

• Total voters
I've been pretty lucky - I only want to build up my business slowly and all my clients have been word of mouth:green:

definatly word of mouth has been my best advertising. in the beginning i did spend a fortune on advertising in local papers and flyers. waste of money and i have learned my lesson. now when i get phone calls promoting advertising i tell them im not interested.

Being Mobile...I have had a Mobile Nail Technician sign made up on the back of my spare wheel cover on my 4X4... Cost a bit but, that's advertisement all the time....

I post flyers at several local store bulletons and get quite a lot of attention. I also have vehicle mags and make sure I have business cards and brochures with me at all times. Word of mouth seems to be the best advertising though. I just recently got started, so low cost advertising is what I go with. Next it will be the yellow pages but I need to become more established. Sorry about some spelling mistakes.

have'nt i seen this poll about 3 times before:confused: or am i imagining things. i am not sure if i should post a response or not feel i might be repeating myself

Has anyone put flyers under the wipers on people's cars. Have thought about doing this after a client of mine who has her own business (an undies shop) did it and got a good response, or handing out flyers in the street? Just wondered if there were any legal applications with this - my client said just do it and then if there's any come back then plead innocence and promise not to do it again!!

I DID IT! And I really didn't get any feedback from it, did literallly hundreds all within a 20 km radius. I also did a flyer mailout in a 1300 household area and had about 3 responses from that! $$$$$$$ ouch.
I have a professional sign at my roadside, pass out cards everywhere and also have little clear baggies with a few in them and one stapled on the outside- can't say this does a lot either, I am finding Word of Mouth is the best ( and makes me feel the best) and my sign.
I think you just have to keep plugging away and doing "whatever it takes"
:hug:

hi geeks;
Well I have just delivered 400 pamphlets in the last 2 days, with another 200 to go tomorrow ,ahd to have a break,my feet where killing me lol. so hopefully I will get some calls. \\But my husband came up with a good idea, next year I am going to sponsor my 6 yr old nephews football team,ON the back of their shirts I will have my business name and phone.and its only going to caost approx $200 aussie dollars not bad for 6mths advertising.They where the name on their shirts and their jurseys. So hopefully this will help build up my clientele.(thought it was better to go with the 6yr olds rather than the 14 yr olds I dont think they would like walking around with ANNES NAILS on the back of their shirts,)

Hi

I recently set up a salon at home in my conservatory and to get me started I advertised in a local publication that promotes local businesses. The ad cost me £35 for a half page black and white. We all know that its hard to make a profit in any new business so I put my priority in getting known. I advertised an introductory weekend offer where potential clients could book a set of extensions or a luxury manicure on the d5esignated Saturday and Sunday for only £5! I was of course inundated with clients! From that initial advert I have built up a steady business offering extensions, manicure, pedicure and nail art and generally have up to 12 clients a week! All from one £35 advert!:)

Word of mouth definitely for me, have done lots of leaflet drops but that has never been as effective as the good old reccommendations.

Its a nice feeling that people are talking and saying nice things about my work.

Teri x:)

well i can say i`ve never advertised my clients have come purley from word of mouth and as i`m also a mobile hairdresser i kind of already had a lot of my clients, whom most have said that they probably wouldn`t have enhancements on if they didn`t have them done at home.
oh and i do wear a badge on my tunic saying i do nails and i usually have nice nails too !!!!!!! lol:lol: :lol:

I have decided that I live in an advertising black hole.

I previously had a soft furnishing business with my sister and we used local press and leaflets in our early days. We never had a single response to leaflets but a good response to local press. A couple of years on we started advertising in the local press again and got no response same applied to leaflet drop. It really has only ever been word of mouth.

Now I am promoting my nail business I have delivered over 3 hundred leaflets
and placed 2 adverts. I have had one phone call from an advert and that is all.

Others have said this is a difficult town to get business off the ground in still I will just have to keep plodding away.

I have a question though, where can I get decent business cards made? I give clients price lists with my number on but they are a little big to carry around in a purse! And does anyone know where to get keyrings made or if you can get a kit to make your own? If clients have your number handy they can pass it on easily to others![/quote]

Online at vista print, they do buisness cards free or more for just a few pounds, I have some and they are great.

Latest posts

Back