bump/ridge in my nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky's nails

Reaction score
right i will try and explain this, have sat here for 40 mins taking pics from various angles and lights and settings on camera etc, but not one of them will show what i mean, either too far away to see or too blurred if its up close arrrgggghhhh need decent camera me thinks anyway ....

on my thumb (the one which still has quite pronounced koilonychia (spoon shaped) i have just noticed yesterday a rather strange bump/lump/ridge/peak (dont know what to call it) my nails have actually started growing really fast, so the new tabs and rigourous solar oiling and balming must be paying off lol,

and just above the lunula is a little white dot, looks similar to leukonychia (which dr said i might get due to the zinc deficency thing) but when i rub my finger over the lunula theres a little peak/bump/ridge? (almost like the nails been pinched in, in that place)
its hard and quite noticeable when you look at the nail sideaways or barrell shot, none of the other nails have this and i wondered has anyone come across anything like this before, what i wondering is will it grow right down the length of my nail or maybe it will settle down

if i can get camera to work ill take pics later

thanks guys

xxxxx

sounds like what my mother has .....almost looks like the folds of a fan growing vertical on her nail ( only you just have one).... she likes to pick her nails where the luna is ......they grow out with her nail.....if she's good.....if she's bad they just reform and stay there.........I would not worry about it ......
Wish I could help more :confused:

ooh so sounds like its damage to the nail then? wonder if its just cos of the probs my nails have had, dont remember any trauma to this nail

thanks for reply hun xxxx

Do you pick at the nail without realising you're doing it?
It could be from a habit tic.

no hun, unless i do it in my sleep lol:zzz:, but ive asked hubby and kids, and theyve never seen me doing it either, so dont think its that tbh

thanks

nicky xxxx

hi, sounds a bit what i had the other week. I havent been well and thats when i noticed it. I know people say your nails can say alot about you and when i was ill mine really did! They ended up dry, flaky and just plain awful! I couldnt do anything with them at the time but am now back on track looking after them! The small 'bump' that i had on one of my nails has completely gone now. I have no idea what it was or how it came!!

The white spot on your nail is very highly unlikely to be a "Zinc/Calcium deficiency". If it was all of your nails would be the same and you would probably have more than one spot on each nail.

Sounds to me like the white spot suggests a slight trauma to the nail. (like a bruise in effect). May be at some point you've given your thumb a wack in the matrix area? I know you probably don't remember, but don't forget how long it takes for the new nail to appear from under the eponychium after the the keratinization (sp) process has taken place.
So perhaps by the time the ridge/bump shows up on the nail you'd have forgot how it happened.

If this is the case, don't worry it'll grow out.

Ever found a bruise on your arm or leg, and thought "how the hell did I do that?"?
I do all the time, sometimes I can remember, and sometimes not.:lol:

Sounds to me like the white spot suggests a slight trauma to the nail. (like a bruise in effect). May be at some point you've given your thumb a wack in the matrix area? I know you probably don't remember, but don't forget how long it takes for the new nail to appear from under the eponychium after the the keratinization (sp) process has taken place.
So perhaps by the time the ridge/bump shows up on the nail you'd have forgot how it happened.
Spot on, this is exactly what I think it probably is too Nicky. forgive me for sneaking a look at your freewebs site, I think it looks great, very professional. Your own nails are looking heaps better aren't they? xx

Latest posts

Back