Bumpy gel nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Nailz

Reaction score
I feel ashamed and useless atm.

Although I love Brisa Gel, I am having trouble with the end being nice and smooth... my end result looks and feels lumpy. Like waves on the gel. I file finished, but it doesn't do much in regards to smoothing it out! Can those of you who have used brisa for a while, explain how you apply your gel?

If you don't mind. Ta muchly!!

when you say that you file finished what do you mean ? what strokes are you using ? are you looking at the nail from all angles while refining it ? and covering the whoole nail ?

are you then finishing with an even ,
thin brisa top gloss ?

When I have applied all gel to the nail, I wipe sticky off and then file with 180 grit. I stroke downwards on the sides, never along the top. and towards myself along free edge. I look down the barrel and sideways and have a lovely c-curve. Then I apply Brisa topcoat

So the bumps are not there when you have finished refining ?

So the bumps are not there when you have finished refining ?

They are yes. This is why I am confused.

I do my bonding thin layer of gel
Then builder layer/build apex
Then I do a thinner layer over the top.

Wipe off sticky residue, and then file

Maybe I need to file harder! and not be so scared too get stuck in? but then I worry I will file most of the gel off again!!

for aplication
you have to use the gel brush with a really light touch , I think it shuld be re-envented as a mini glue paddle like we used to use with the PVA gule in school lol ,

it is tempting to brush to deep as it is a brush (espechily if you have been used to l and p ,

but you really need to use the surface tention to smooth the gel and work the gel into place ,

for finishing but a little extra finishing witch is ok while you get to grips with the gel aplication , but it is not an insted of , ultumatly sculpting with your brush will save time and dust cleaning .

get your client to turn there hand, then you can check there view as well as your own , you will likely see all sorts from the other way round ,

you can cover the whole nail with the file ,
and dont forget you can scrubfresh and add more gel in small amounts on any dips ,

here is a CND vid that i found fantastic when i was having problems , it is suprising how we rarely get tought how to hold a file or use it !

Finishing Enhancement Techniques from CND - YouTube

They are yes. This is why I am confused.

I do my bonding thin layer of gel
Then builder layer/build apex
Then I do a thinner layer over the top.

Wipe off sticky residue, and then file

Maybe I need to file harder! and not be so scared too get stuck in? but then I worry I will file most of the gel off again!!

no , it is the grit of the file and no so much the pressure that dose the work ,
your client will end up with friction , or you with RSI in your shulder or something ,

watch the vid ,
Finishing Enhancement Techniques from CND - YouTube

I don't mean hard enough to cause friction to abit more pressure to smooth. :)

ahhh thanks hun. I will tae a look..and thanks for tips

I don't use Brisa, I use NSI Balance but to me, it sounds like you might be using to much pressure when applying your gel.
You just need to very gently feather your brush on the surface of the gel, not dip your brush in as such.
It's when you dip or dig your brush in when trying to move the product, is when you most likely get these wave dips you mention.
It's always best to do your shaping with your brush and product and do a small amount of refining work with your file.
Don't feel bad about yourself though, this nail enhancement thing is hard work but too many people think it's childs play but it does take a lot of skill to perfect this trade.
You will get there, just keep practicing and keep a light touch and you will get there and you could also think about going and getting some 1 on 1 help if it's something you can't fix on your own.
Chin up:)

Yes, this all makes perfect sense. And yes, it is 99% me being heavy handed with the gel. Takes some work to go over lightly.

Thanks girls :)

I am a very visual person for me it is very hard to learn with out seeing ,
lucky for me nails are visual lol

this is relay quite odd ,
but it helped me hugely with learning to manipulate gels , and i still think of it sometimes now when i work !

it is called a pond skater !
its not drowning , there use the surface of the water , ok they are not smoothing it out but if they did put there leg though or made bubbles they would be in trouble ,
what i am getting at is after putting the gel onto the nail only use the surface to move it .
picture.php

That's such a great way to help explain Ceri! I'm not a Gel tech yet, but will be soon, and I won't forget him while I'm learning xx

I am a very visual person for me it is very hard to learn with out seeing ,
lucky for me nails are visual lol

this is relay quite odd ,
but it helped me hugely with learning to manipulate gels , and i still think of it sometimes now when i work !

it is called a pond skater !
its not drowning , there use the surface of the water , ok they are not smoothing it out but if they did put there leg though or made bubbles they would be in trouble ,
what i am getting at is after putting the gel onto the nail only use the surface to move it .
picture.php

Yeah, I understand what the problem is, I have trouble being lighter handed with not piercing the service of the gel with the Brush. Pratice makes perfect huh. The good news is. No lifting lol.

Still having trouble with dips and waves in my gel extensions. I just can't grasp getting it nice and smooth, even after file finishing. I am just too heavy handed on the gel and can't seem to glide nicely along the top. Wonder if it is because I am not putting a big enough bead on the nail, and haven't alot of gel to glide

When using my previous gel it self levelled more, so I am used to it being smoother.

Yes, I am filing the right way, but it doesn't make it smooth. still feels wavy!!!

I don't understand how it can be wavy after filing, are you filing through the whole surface of the nail? I had problem myself when beginning with dips and bumps in my gel after curing but I could always correct them by filing them down or adding a little gel..

Yes, weird isn't it. I would have thought filing would have corrected it abit. I even do a thin layer over the top of the whole nails after I build apex.

I don't like the top coat of Brisa either, the brush is horrible and top coat seems gloopy. while applying it, more runs down the stem of the brush and I get a big blob land on the nail!!!

Is there another top coat I can use on CND Brisa?

Are you putting too much pressure on your brush strokes? Gel moulds really easily if you don't put much pressure on it it should blend smoothly x

Are you putting too much pressure on your brush strokes? Gel moulds really easily if you don't put much pressure on it it should blend smoothly x

I know what I am doing wrong. I am heavy handed. I just can't master gliding across lightly on the gel. My brush dips in too far!!

I am too used to runny gel that levels quicker. Brisa is self leveling, but not to the extent it will flatten out. So I am having trouble teasing the gel without it causing dips :/

Ive Never worked with Brisa so don't know the consistency but with my gel I gently feather over the top, not touching the nail with my brush. Why don't you try applying in like a circular motion iykwim? Making sure the whole nail is level and even before curing.

It's really odd how you keep getting dips even after you have filed.

I know...it's really bothering me now, because my gel nails always looked great. It looks worse obviously when I apply polish over the top. You can see the dips!

Wonder if I need to apply a bigger bead to feather out?
Because I find that I never got enough gel to feather out, and this could be what is causing the brush to go deeper then I want it too, and touching the plate.

But then, I need to go careful I don't apply too much gel! lol

ohhhhhh, I need a drink!!! *reaches for wine glass*

Latest posts

Back