Burning sensation in lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @NancySyd - it's very interesting, there are some similarities and some massive differences. We have virtually no enforcement, some on the London Boroughs are starting to insist on NVQ's for Salons but I'm not sure they're as strict with homebased and mobile techs. Each individual County has its own council and they set their own rules, so there's no consistency across the country. Add to that the fact that many don't bother to register and work legally, or pay tax, etc. it's a bit of a free for all.

Marian Newman and some other industry leaders are launching The Federation of Nail Professionals imminently so there's some light at the end of the tunnel. That said, be careful what you wish for! 🤪 🤓
Trinity, I wonder whether more and more councils will start to require salons to have licences from now, as they'll be after every bit of revenue they can get their hands on after this pandemic has drained their funds. My salon's within a London borough and they brought in licensing 3 years ago, but this year they have paid out a one-off sum to help with the cost of all salon licences. I imagine next year the price will go up fairly dramatically though.

Trinity, I wonder whether more and more councils will start to require salons to have licences from now, as they'll be after every bit of revenue they can get their hands on after this pandemic has drained their funds. My salon's within a London borough and they brought in licensing 3 years ago, but this year they have paid out a one-off sum to help with the cost of all salon licences. I imagine next year the price will go up fairly dramatically though.

It's a tipping point at the moment, a few London boroughs brought in their NVQ requirement a few years back, but not all did. Equally, not all local Councils have bothered to jump on the band wagon. You're absolutely right in that it's a untapped revenue stream for all Councils but it would involve an initial spend to employ someone to manage it, including site visits, etc. and as most Councils are ramping down not up I'd be surprised if many bother. They'll throw it back to the business owner saying they should ensure they have the relevant registrations/qualifications/etc.

As mentioned, I suspect the Federation of Nail Professionals will trigger lots of new 'interest' in regulation, etc. Whilst I'm all for tightening up our industry and I'm also very aware that one should be careful what one wishes for. I, for one, may well fall foul of any new regulations, I 'qualified' nearly 20 years ago, did a private training course with CND. It's not an NVQ although it's one of the best training courses in the world. I've also done several courses with them since, again, non are specifically NVQ so I could find myself having to re-train all over again.

I agree with @Trinity.

Years ago, hairdressing training was mostly through the apprenticeship route and people were deemed ‘qualified’ at the end of a specific period. Some extremely competent and very experienced hairdressers who were trained this way have never completed any formal Diploma qualifications and providing they are employed in a salon, the salon insurance will cover them.

However, they still sometimes struggle to obtain insurance when they choose to work on a self employed basis as they don’t possess that all-important piece of paper.

Latest posts

Back