Burning sensation when i file

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
Hi,
can someone please tell me why when i do sculptured nails ,when im filing the zone areas ,some of my clients say ..oouch its burning!!!Is this because the gels too thick ,or is this just a common prob,and how do i go about preventing it.:eek:

you are probably applying too much pressure when filing, try to sculpt the shape of the nail with your brush not your file

xx

Is this whilst its curing? If so its called heat spike...the best method of stopping it is removing your hands from the lamp and pressing briefly on the table top before returning them to the lamp. It shouldn't re-occur then.

A good search on Heat Spike will turf up loads of info on it, but quite frankly I'm surprised your training never included it.

From your post I gather it's while filing. Do you hand file or do you use an electric file? It sounds like you are using too much pressure while filing. Also be sure to use the correct file grit. You do NOT want to cause any rings of fire and you definately need to watch how close to the natural nail you are filing. It would be best to take a course using an efile if you haven't already as you can cause alot of pain and discomfort if your technique is daft. I also want to remind you that you can also create rings of fire while hand filing so always be certain to have a gentle touch. HTH

Hi all ,
Thanx for the reply ,yes it is when im hand filing ,its usually on the final layer of s gel(bio sculpture),when i get the burning ,so i dont think i would be too close to the natural nail then ,maybe i am being too heavy handed or a too harsher file i ll ease off in future see if it helps ,thanx.:eek:

From your post I gather it's while filing. Do you hand file or do you use an electric file? It sounds like you are using too much pressure while filing. Also be sure to use the correct file grit. You do NOT want to cause any rings of fire and you definately need to watch how close to the natural nail you are filing. It would be best to take a course using an efile if you haven't already as you can cause alot of pain and discomfort if your technique is daft. I also want to remind you that you can also create rings of fire while hand filing so always be certain to have a gentle touch. HTH
Have you any details please on the E file training,thanx.

Hi all ,
Thanx for the reply ,yes it is when im hand filing ,its usually on the final layer of s gel(bio sculpture),when i get the burning ,so i dont think i would be too close to the natural nail then ,maybe i am being too heavy handed or a too harsher file i ll ease off in future see if it helps ,thanx.:eek:

remember to keep the file moving when filing...holding it in the same spot for too long will produce heat.

Filing too fast, too hard and in one spot for too long. I dont know if you do your own nails or not.. but IMO its the best way to learn pressure control.. because YOU can feel it.

Hi all ,

What file/grit are you using....Bio tend to recommend refining with the spongeboard, and its more difficult to cause burning with this file. Have you switched to a harder file?

put a nail on yourself and file it as you would when doing a client ...... then you will know what they are feeling

What file/grit are you using....Bio tend to recommend refining with the spongeboard, and its more difficult to cause burning with this file. Have you switched to a harder file?
Im not using a bio sponge board im using a 100/180 grit file.

Im not using a bio sponge board im using a 100/180 grit file.

I'd say that could well be contributing to your problem. I stopped using spongefiles when i first did Bio, but have returned to using them since as they work much better with it as a softer gel. Harder files rip Bio and therefore can hit the natural nail before you know it....causing damamge and burning.

I actually love the spongeboards now - and whilst they seem a bit more expensive to start with (don't buy from Bio - there are much cheaper places Nails Plus Beauty - home page ) and they sanitise brilliantly and last much longer than at least the cheaper, hard files.

Its also down to ensuring that you don't file the same area for too long, but thats much harder to do with a spongefile. The lower grits are also brilliant for infilling.

Hope this helps and you sort it...

I'd say that could well be contributing to your problem. I stopped using spongefiles when i first did Bio, but have returned to using them since as they work much better with it as a softer gel. Harder files rip Bio and therefore can hit the natural nail before you know it....causing damamge and burning.

I actually love the spongeboards now - and whilst they seem a bit more expensive to start with (don't buy from Bio - there are much cheaper places Nails Plus Beauty - home page ) and they sanitise brilliantly and last much longer than at least the cheaper, hard files.

Its also down to ensuring that you don't file the same area for too long, but thats much harder to do with a spongefile. The lower grits are also brilliant for infilling.

Hope this helps and you sort it...
Ah many thanx have ordered some already ,i didnt like the sponge boards thats why i went back over to normal files,found them too bending ,but i ll stick with em now i know this could be my prob thanx.

Latest posts

Back