Burnt scalp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmh65

Reaction score
Hi all
Did a client yesterday who asked for gray hair .. been trying to do this for her for a while . The gray thing is new to me . Her natural colour is about a level 7.
Shes always changing her hair colour . I could highlight it then about 6 weeks later she will put a box dye on it .
Anyway ..... i lifted it all first on the roots with bleach 30 vol left for 15 mins then put through to the ends (her ends were already lighter?) Then put the new NXT gray colour on which is a 7.11 . Have always used this brand and she has had it before. She was happy and i left ...
3 hours later she message to say her scalp is hurting and its very sore and in pain ..... obviously i am worried ... any advice on what to do ??

I presume you have patch tested her with NXT? How long ago was the test? If it was a long time ago she may have developed a sensitivity. That happened to a client at college once.

Also what brand of bleach was it? I wouldn't use some of the cheap brands of bleach for scalp bleaching.

Hope it gets sorted ☺

What bleach did you use? Was it one specifically for scalp bleaches or a generic lightener intended for use in foil?
You should only use a lightener that states that it’s suitable for on scalp bleaching. Check the manufacturers instructions.
Also, NEVER use 30vol near the scalp. It’s far too strong.
20vol is the max you should use at the roots and for level 7 roots. you could have used 10vol as the heat from the head will help with processing.

Also, with grey, it’s usually best to tone out the yellow with a violet toner before applying your target grey otherwise you will end up with a browny grey.

I used indola bleach 30vol on scalp .. maybe you are rite should have used 20 vol . Hoping after a few days it will calm down

I used indola bleach 30vol on scalp .. maybe you are rite should have used 20 vol . Hoping after a few days it will calm down

I don’t think it’s an eh oh well kind of thing.

This was done to me and my scalp fell off in chunks. It felt like fire. It was like my skin was melting. There was blood and deep chunks of skin falling out, with hair attached...1cm deep. Left holes in my head. I could have made a Hairpiece out of it. The pain is unbearable.

I hope you are checking on this person and recommending they go to a&e if it’s bad.

Even a mild scalp burn can be excruciating

I am taking this very seriously. I am massaging every day to see if she is ok ... i had advised her to rinse her hair with cold water and of it gets worse to call 111 for advise of go to a and e . Believe me i feel terrible what has happend .

I am taking this very seriously. I am massaging every day to see if she is ok ... i had advised her to rinse her hair with cold water and of it gets worse to call 111 for advise of go to a and e . Believe me i feel terrible what has happend .
I’m 40yrs a hairdresser over the yrs sometimes I came across the colour taking chemical reaction to the shampoo they were using (head and shoulders)but in your case if she was going take a reaction like this it would’ve been burning from applying bleach or the toner right away..As the other hairdresser said it could be her scalp has developed a sensitivity.Did she do anything when she got home? I can’t see nothing wrong what you did try not to worry sometimes things like this happen learn from it.. you doing all that you can if she’s a good customer she will understand too. Ask her take some antihistamines that might help.. and as you said go to her doctor or hospital hopefully she didn’t need too..xx 🤞😘

Hi all
Did a client yesterday who asked for gray hair .. been trying to do this for her for a while . The gray thing is new to me . Her natural colour is about a level 7.
Shes always changing her hair colour . I could highlight it then about 6 weeks later she will put a box dye on it .
Anyway ..... i lifted it all first on the roots with bleach 30 vol left for 15 mins then put through to the ends (her ends were already lighter?) Then put the new NXT gray colour on which is a 7.11 . Have always used this brand and she has had it before. She was happy and i left ...
3 hours later she message to say her scalp is hurting and its very sore and in pain ..... obviously i am worried ... any advice on what to do ??
First of all I hope your client is okay :)
I have had this happen to me and happen to clients in the past, all be it very rare.
The main thing I find that helps is definitely an anti oxidative conditioner as soon as possible leave it on for at least 5 mins. This will help neutralise the pH level of the scalp and hair after it's been exposed to bleach, colour etc.

If your client can try not to shampoo her hair for a few days this will also help.
If she does it needs to be a very mild shampoo with cool water, same for the conditioner.
She should avoid heat styling, as added heat will upset the already sensitive scalp.
I'd strongly advise that she avoids putting any product near the scalp also.
I have used indola bleach myself many a time, and from experience I do find it quite harsh, I'm sure 9% is the maximum strength developer you can use with it off scalp. If you were to do a simar thing to a client again I would suggest no more than 6% with the indola bleach on scalp.
Otherwise invest in a scalp bleach, these are formulated with oils and conditioners designed to protect the scalp during processing...... I use Framesi d colour b cream and this can safely be used with 12% on the scalp, but this is only recommended for 7+ levels of lift. But having said that the highest I've used with this on the scalp is 25vol/7.5%.
Also just in case only ever shampoo once between colour services. e.g :- when rinsing bleach, shampoo once, then tone.
(it may seem like I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but these are little things that can easily be forgotten) I hope you find this helpful :)

I’m 40yrs a hairdresser over the yrs sometimes I came across the colour taking chemical reaction to the shampoo they were using (head and shoulders)but in your case if she was going take a reaction like this it would’ve been burning from applying bleach or the toner right away..As the other hairdresser said it could be her scalp has developed a sensitivity.Did she do anything when she got home? I can’t see nothing wrong what you did try not to worry sometimes things like this happen learn from it.. you doing all that you can if she’s a good customer she will understand too. Ask her take some antihistamines that might help.. and as you said go to her doctor or hospital hopefully she didn’t need too..xx 🤞😘
Thank you so much for you kind words . She is a good friends daughter and they have been very good about it .. im just so upset with myself i have been hairdressing for 15 years now and this has never happend to me befor . I will definitely learn from this xxxx

Latest posts

Back