Business | Carlton Institute Goes Into Liquidation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
While you may be worrying about your future if you are a student of The Carlton Institute, you can rest assured that the awarding body VTCT has pledged their support as the beauty school has been placed into liquidation.

While the Directors of The Carlton Institute have not yet released any comment, it has been confirmed that liquidator Leonard Curtis has been appointed and has confirmed that the company has ceased trading.

VTCT has said it will help students transfer their courses to new centres.

Speaking to Professional Beauty, VTCT chief executive Stephen Vickers said, "We accept we have a moral and financial duty to all students registered with us and we have a network of centres that have agreed to help."

The biggest obstacle the VTCT face however was identifying all the students. The Carlton Institute had agreed to hand over all student portfolios but this amounted to only 60 despite the Institute consisting of eleven schools.

"They also admitted that only about a third of the students they put on VTCT courses had been registered with us," added Vickers, "so there are two thirds of their students – minus the ones we have portfolios for – that we are trying to trace, and we are anxious to hear from them."

The students that The Carlton Institute had registered with VTCT will be directly transferred to a new centre without charge. However, those that the Institute did not register are likely to be required to pay again to re-register.

Vickers also said, "We do want to make it clear to students that they may have paid upfront tuition fees to The Carlton Institute but only about £60 or £70 of that comes to VTCT for registration."

Vickers confirmed that the VTCT would be happy to help those studying non-VTCT courses too. "We are a charity and will help anyone we can. We understand this is a hard situation because people may have spent all the money they had to study with The Carlton Institute and can’t afford to start again."

In their efforts to support students, the VTCT will be holding an open day for former Carlton Institute students. Students will be able to seek out advice and support.

VTCT has called for all students of The Carlton Institute to contact them via [email protected] with the subject line Carlton Student.

Sussex-based machines and skincare supplier The Carlton Group (also known as Carlton Beauty & Spa) has asked that we make it clear that it is in no way connected to The Carlton Institute and is not in financial difficulties.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• the_carlton_institute.jpg
    the_carlton_institute.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 122
Good on vtct for this. I did my nvq2 with tci in 2010 and I was constantly worried about the lack of support (with the exception of a few fantastic individuals who I got through to on the phone!). I always wondered how they made their business viable because they charged you for literally everything (portfolio marking, assessment days) and I was thinking "how does this determine customer satisfaction and repeat bookings?

What happens though if carlton didn't register you?

What happens though if carlton didn't register you?
It looks like you need to email the address given with the Carlton Student subject line and they will help you. You may be required to pay another £70 approximately for re-registration and will be given a new beauty school to attend.

Good luck with it all x

It looks like you need to email the address given with the Carlton Student subject line and they will help you. You may be required to pay another £70 approximately for re-registration and will be given a new beauty school to attend.

Good luck with it all x
Thanks I have found anothe beauty school but it's still costs hundreds of pounds to get assessed x

Latest posts

Back