Business - Do, Don't, Not yet? Help....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat Tov

Reaction score
I qualified this time last year in NVQ3 beauty and ever since I took my final step from the college foyer leaving it all behind - long to be in the beauty industry working - but for myself!! My dilema is - I have a house to run, rent to pay and a child to support. I have no bloke that can support me whilst I relish my dream:cry: (well I have the bloke-just not the financal support! lol) Same old, same old...... I have thought of selling my car to get start up funds, possible bank loan:eek: but besides the start up money blah blah - Should I be listening to my family and hold back? Is now not a good time with the recession? I have no spare time to go mobile to begin with and my family think I'll struggle to get clients. Ideally I want to rent a room, maybe in a hair salon? (have my eye on one in a PERFECT location, too scared to ask in case I get a know!) I have started planning costs of equipment and analysing local salon treatment costs to obtain an average. I've got the name sorted, skills - just no B*LLs!!! (thank god!:lol:) Joking aside:Grope:, i'm so driven to do this but my lack of support is holding me back and fear I won't make enough to pay everything. Is there EVER a right time? I imagine going into Business is the same in theory for having kids! There never will be a good time. Your all 'professionals' is business generally good? I'm quite prepared to GET customers and work hard at it. There will only be me - how difficult can it be?? I'm scared to leave my full time job for something short term that may belly flop. Any advice welcome.

sorry....no answers.

It is recession at the moment. I've been doing holistics for 15 years. I could not run a house on what I earn.

If you cannot survive on no money.....don't do it. going self employed is a gamble, you don't come out with a fixed amount of money every month, sometimes you cover rent. You also have NI and tax to take care of.

If you have a mortgage to pay and all the bills and need "X" amount of money coming in every month or lose you home, then I would suggest not going into it.

But, I am all for following your dreams. So, why not do half and half? Go part time in your employed job and go part time in your beauty career.

I'm afraid you would need to sell more than your car for start up costs and then you have no car!
Starting up is really not cheap and you need to learn to walk before you can run.
It's very tempting to jump right in there but you need to pace yourself.
You may well be prepared to get the clients but it's not that easy.
I'm sure lots of people on this site will tell how many quiet weeks and months they had when they first started and they all put the effort in too.
Maybe you could try and find the time to do a couple of hours a week so people will get to know you and know your work.
I know it's not what you want to hear but you have a family to support and if you are having doubts already then it really is best to wait for a while.

id try and get some advise from a business advisor who knows about these things and also u seem actualy quite set on the idea neway i think you just want the confirmation that it will go ok,,,BUT your family arnt giving you that.
but doit for the rite reasons hun whatever your family think its your mistake at the end of the day!!but try and get all the info before going into anything!!!

Why not get the experience you will need to be the best by working in a salon for a couple of years, then you will be able to polish your skills off while earning a steady pay check! I worked in a salon for two years (well three but one was on reception while I trained) and realised it takes a long time to get good at everything and you need a large number of clients to get the experience, which does not happen over night in your own business.:hug:

See a business advisor, find out what government help/grants/financial support is available, then you'll have a much better idea of whether it's possible. I'd also ask about the room you have your eye on, at least you'll know one way or the other then.

Thank you all for your advice. It's all inspiring. I worked for 2 years in our local Spa as head receptionist and have been qualified in nails since 1997. I carryout home facilas using my galvanic machine, waxing, tints etc on family & friends but it's not the same. I'm currently earning money in sales but for someone else and I know I could run my own business it's just will I manage. I guess if I dont then at least I tried and i'd have to make best of adjusting to something else. Bank Advisor may be my next stop. I'm not going to keep putting off because: - it's for the best - My millions await me... LOL
Just after investing hundreds in getting the qualification its time to get some back and do I job I know I enjoy and worked hard to achieve. Just wondered what business was like for everyone right now and what things did you all do initially to obtain your customers. I have a few ideas, would like to know what works though for starting up.

I started my own business going mobile in aug 08. I have invested in many advertising schemes, done leaflet drops, put cards in windows,papers, everything you can imagine. I have even stood in the middle of my town centre and gave out leaflets and flyers.
I am very very quiet. I rarely have a busy week and i have still to make a profit.
It isnt about making your millions, believe me if you think its easy money to be made in this industry then you are wrong it is very hard! Luckily i can afford for my hubby to be paying my way but if you cant then dont do it.
Sorry to sound like im bursting your bubble but its not easy! There is further investment in stock and equipment, advertising, rent etc.
If i were you i would take it up in my spare time and gradually work your way up.
Fair enough its your dream like many of ours but its also your life and if all goes wrong where will you be?
HTH XX

Latest posts

Back