Business gone quiet???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail_star2003

Reaction score
Can I ask if any of you are facing a really quiet time with your business? I work from my home-based salon as I have for the past 7 years but it seems that it's gone really quiet lately and it seems that other local salons seem fairly quiet too.:irked:

I know I've experienced quiet patches in the past but never this bad or at this time of year.

Someone please help me with how I can drum up some business fairly cheaply (as no work means no money!!) otherwise I'm scared I might have to get a proper job!!! :rolleyes:

Hello your not alone my mum (who lives in Ilford)is going through a quiet patch too. She also runs a beauty salon from home. The business has been established for 10 years and is normally very busy. My mum was telling me its always quiet around this time of year for her. Ive suggested to her to try and do a bit more online advertising as that works well for me!

I still have my client base..but the phone isnt ringing like it used to. I have myself to blame entirely for this as i havent been advertising..partly through lack of motivation and a second job..ADVERTISE,ADVERTISE!! DONT BECOME COMPLACENT. Thats my best advice:)

have you thought about running an 'introduce a friend' promotion?
thats what i do when things go a bit quiet.

xx

Same here. Thought it was just me (paranoid head on :lol:).

Still got my regulars but the phone hasn't been ringing..although I took two new bookings yesterday (amazing what happens when we have sunshine).

I think it may just be the time of year. I've done nothing but shell out for the children...summer hols....school unform, so if I'm broke I'm sure plenty of others are too.

i am really dead at the moment , was busy before i went away and not had a booking since i got back last week :irked: wish it would pick up !!

I've had a quiet year, and not the usual manic summer that we have had in previous years. However, this week has been mental!!!!!! Can't figure it out, but I did seem to go quieter from the week gas bills increased.

I have been quiet this week and last week but the diary is looking very full next week. I did expect it to be a quiet few weeks anyway.

Thanks everyone!! I'm glad (in the nicest possible way!) that it's not just me. I have been thinking about what I could do and I had thought about doing the introduce a friend thing which I'm going to start from this week.

It's just such a nightmare when it's like this. I agree with you Elaine (and I only live in Aveley) that I feel it's been a quiet year also. I was absolutely manic last year and yet this year I've just kind of plodded along.

Oh well, I'll carry on and do a bit of advertising and some special promotions and hopefully things will pick up. I hope it does for all you too! :hug:

Dead quiet me!!
I am actually focusing on training a bit more.. Im so sick of tip overlay.. Have my usuals.. but not pumping out the leaflets like i used to..:lol:

I've been really quiet for the whole of August only one or two bookings! - but I'm quite new and people tell me that it's not a good time because of holidays etc but things have gone ok for me this week. Probably due to the fact that kids have gone back to school. I'm also about to start 'introduce a friend' and do some leaflet drops with a limited time offer on them - tips I've picked up from others on this site. Good luck - I hope it all picks up for you soon.

Siana

Still retaining most of the client base, and there have been a few new bookings too . . . however I have lost two or three regulars due to "financial reasons" recently

Thanks everyone!! I'm glad (in the nicest possible way!) that it's not just me. I have been thinking about what I could do and I had thought about doing the introduce a friend thing which I'm going to start from this week.

It's just such a nightmare when it's like this. I agree with you Elaine (and I only live in Aveley) that I feel it's been a quiet year also. I was absolutely manic last year and yet this year I've just kind of plodded along.

Oh well, I'll carry on and do a bit of advertising and some special promotions and hopefully things will pick up. I hope it does for all you too! :hug:

Hi Kelly,

Hope this helps:

Step 1

Do you do newsletters to your clients? I do one every 3 months, introducing the latest in products, a nice marketing pitch, give the ladies and idea on how to use them or how nice they would be for a friend or relative's birthday. I also include the latest trend and do some "too good to miss" special offers which always gets the regular ladies to book in. Maybe some handy nail tips for good reading! It is hard work to post out to all the clients but you manage. My ladies look so forward to the newsletter!

Step 2

I also make sure that my regulars don't leave without at least booking up to three appts in advance. I always mention how quickly I get "booked up" and that they must get in quick ... sometimes at certain times of the year I'm not that busy, and they don't know this, but at least my appt book is full.

Step 3

By getting your appt book as full as you can without relying on the phone so much (treat the phonecalls as a bonus) you will be able to guage your weeks and arrange your special offers according to what you have booked in! For example, Pedicure Specials, I always say if you book another one in advance today, I will honour the special price for you at your next one. THEY DON'T SAY NO ... EVER!

For example I did a Dermologica special this week after one of my clients bought £190 worth of products, which we ordered in for her, my special was "spend anything over £50 this week and receive £10 off a facial (RRP £45)." I knew she liked the Body Therapy range and after seeing the special she came back and bought more, and booked in for a facial. :)

I hope this helps you honey, these techniques work over and over again for me. Sorry for babbling :irked:

P.S. If you like I can email you one of my newsletters to give you an idea :wink2:

xxxx

ooh could you email me one hun , pleease if you dont mind :green: it sounds a good idea , my email is
[email protected]

busy here...i haven't done any advertising for over a year now as i already have enough clients to handle and saw it as dead money....am i wrong...?? should i still be keeping my name out there...? I am asking cos i am useless with this kind of thing.

Thanks x

To the peeps that have pm'd me for the newsletter, coming your way now!

xxxx

busy here...i haven't done any advertising for over a year now as i already have enough clients to handle and saw it as dead money....am i wrong...?? should i still be keeping my name out there...? I am asking cos i am useless with this kind of thing.

Thanks x

Hi Angie,

I am busy too, I think I had one very quiet day all year and that was just wednesday when I had not one client, that hasn't happened since I started business. But then I've been fully booked before and after.

I've been back to back lately but I still advertise. They say you should advertise when you're busy, not when you're quiet. And I disagree calling it dead money, I think it's very important for potential clients to still know you're there, doing well, rather than just your regulars. At least then when your regulars brag about you, you're somewhat well known ... at least around where you live.

Just my opinion, hope you don't mind :hug:

xxxx

Hi Angie,

I am busy too, I think I had one very quiet day all year and that was just wednesday when I had not one client, that hasn't happened since I started business. But then I've been fully booked before and after.

I've been back to back lately but I still advertise. They say you should advertise when you're busy, not when you're quiet. And I disagree calling it dead money, I think it's very important for potential clients to still know you're there, doing well, rather than just your regulars. At least then when your regulars brag about you, you're somewhat well known ... at least around where you live.

Just my opinion, hope you don't mind :hug:

xxxx

Of course i dont mind...:hug: thats why i asked...i had no idea if i was doing the right thing or not...i can totally see your point. Think i'll get my ad back in our local rag then. Thanks Rose xx

Hi I've just returned from Holiday and my diary for next week is empty except one booking, it may be because people have been on holiday or cos the kids go back to school.

I hope we can get some more work in, I'm sure it won't be long til the phone and email will be busy with new appointments.:lol:

Thought I'd give you a quick update! I was feeling really miserable yesterday with my lack of clientele and my son had to go to a birthday party. I would normally change out of my tunic to go out but I thought that if I left it on the mums at the party may wonder what I did for a living or, even better, ask me.

Because the party started before I finished work my mum had actually taken my son. So there I go, halfway through the party, strutting my stuff in my tunic and as I got to where my mum was sitting, 3 of the mums (who knew my job) said to me that they wanted to book an appointment!!!! :) I couldn't believe it!!

I've also seen them today and I've printed out some leaflets with an 'Introduce a friend' offer on and give it to them. I'm taking my diary to the school tomorrow to book them in! Woo hoo!! I've also had another mum ask me today for an appointment. I have since printed out another 40 leaflets and I'm going round the school playground tomorrow and giving them out! I'll let you know how it goes!

Latest posts

Back