Business rates appeal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daydreams01

Reaction score
Hi, just wondered if any of you salon owners have successfully appealed to get your business rates reduced? I paid a rogue company quite a lot of money a few years ago who promised me I was paying too much and they could get it reduced. I was new and green and hadn't heard of these rip off merchants before, hence, it never went anywhere and I gave up chasing them.
I then decided to do the appeal myself, and have a tribunal hearing in the next 6 weeks to try and get the 2010 rating review lowered. I believe the measurements are wrong which is my grounds for appeal. Unfortunately even if this appeal is successful and I get a rebate from the last 3.5 years, from April due to the 2016 ratings review, I will be taken above the threshold where businesses don't need to pay.

It's so annoying as the government made a big announcement in last years budget that most small businesses would become exempt from business rates and I was so happy as it would have applied to me but they basically gave in one hand and took from the other as in my high street, most of the businesses have been put up so much in the review that we are practically all above the £12000 limit. Mine has gone from £12500 to £15000, it's such a joke, the government are killing the high street. I really want to take on someone new and thought the money I would save each month could pay an apprentice but will probably have to leave it now.
Anyway if anyone has gone through the tribunal and has any advice for me, I would love to hear it. I doubt I stand much chance but I need to give it a go as the rebate will make such a difference for me if it's successful but the thought of standing there and presenting my evidence is so nerve wracking.

Latest posts

Back