Business start up grants

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sassy21

Reaction score
Hi guys

This may be a long shot but I'm just starting up as a mobile beauty therapist and wondered if anyone had any advice about start up business grants or anyone had any luck getting a grant for materials and equipment?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks all xXx

Have you tried The Princes Trust?

I've tried the Prince's Trust a few times and had no reply :-(

Hi
I don''t know if business link does anything ?

I will look into business link.. thanks hun x

Good question ...... ?

With a lot of grants, you either have to come from an underprivileged background and not have started work (especially PYBT). Or there are companies that say they can look for you but beware, they can charge a lot for this. As the above posts say, try Business Link or your local chamber of commerce. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I was offered grants for additional training etc, it turned out they are no longer grants but bank loans - thanks but no thanks! Not sure if that's the same everywhere though.
Speak to citizens advice they will put you in contact with the necessary people. Xx

Also try local charities, that at princes trust worked for me. But then i had been on jsa for a while, 18 and two mouths to feed and not living with parents...

I think personal situation counts for alot.

Ull b very lucky no matter ur back ground at this present time

I know this is going to sound hard and I don't want to offend anybody. But.... I don't understand why people in the UK think the Government (which actually only gets money from tax payers) should fund anyone to start a business, particularly a one man band business.

Its not massively expensive to start up a mobile beauty business, and you will make the money back quickly, so why can't the money be saved or paid back via a loan? You start small and build up as you can afford it.

If the Government dished out grants, there would be people claiming the grants and half heartedly starting businesses and probably not succeeding. If you either save the money or have to pay it back you will be much more committed.

JMHO :hug:

I started up my own mobile holistic, nails and beauty mobile business on 1st Feb this year with no grants, loans, funding etc. Just checked my figures last night and im just coming into profit :) So it's not taken long at all to earn the money back.

I opened a business bank account (having put together a business plan) and was given a £1000 overdraft which is what I used to buy all my equipment.

As I earn more money I'll invest it back into buying more/better products/equipment etc.

But it can be done without a loan or grant!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I've tried the Prince's Trust a few times and had no reply :-(

The princes trust do start up business 'loans' now, this is how I started my business

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I know this is going to sound hard and I don't want to offend anybody. But.... I don't understand why people in the UK think the Government (which actually only gets money from tax payers) should fund anyone to start a business, particularly a one man band business.

Its not massively expensive to start up a mobile beauty business, and you will make the money back quickly, so why can't the money be saved or paid back via a loan? You start small and build up as you can afford it.

If the Government dished out grants, there would be people claiming the grants and half heartedly starting businesses and probably not succeeding. If you either save the money or have to pay it back you will be much more committed.

JMHO :hug:

Some people's financial situation means that they really cannot afford to save though, and they're unable to get a loan (well not one from a reputable source anyway). In cases like this, perhaps a small grant or an interest-free loan from the government would enable people to set themselves up in business so that they won't spend the rest of their lives claiming benefits.

I'm not saying that I disagree with your post btw - just playing devil's advocate and putting forward another viewpoint.

Some people's financial situation means that they really cannot afford to save though, and they're unable to get a loan (well not one from a reputable source anyway). In cases like this, perhaps a small grant or an interest-free loan from the government would enable people to set themselves up in business so that they won't spend the rest of their lives claiming benefits.

I'm not saying that I disagree with your post btw - just playing devil's advocate and putting forward another viewpoint.

I was in this situation, my money was enough to put basic food on the table and pay my gas electic and water. I was skipping meals just so my baby could have milk and have a warm bath.
That was no way to live so i did something About it and proudly paying back into society.

I am in the same situation. I don't want to be on benefits all my life and want to do something rewarding and go into business on my own in the nail/hair/ beauty sector. I don't want grants or loans or owe money out. I need to be shown how to run my own business. I have 1 year left on income support until they put me on job seekers allowance then they won't help me. Without spilling my personal circumstances to much, my money comes in I pay my bills, buy food then buy products. I make them last as much as I can and be economical as I can. I think in this current climate it's risky and I sometimes get a little scared because if I fail I will have nothing to fall back on. I am going on a business seminar on the 15th of next month the last one I went to there were people there from all walks of life which made it even more interesting.xx

I was in this situation, my money was enough to put basic food on the table and pay my gas electic and water. I was skipping meals just so my baby could have milk and have a warm bath.
That was no way to live so i did something About it and proudly paying back into society.
this is me right now, I'm doing my best to get myself off the system and once again fully support my family.
That being said I find many people question why I would want to come off the system, they don't understand living hand to mouth constantly is draining and I'd rather do a few extra hours to make more to be able to afford a treat than rob Peter to pay paul... Determination will get us there.
Oh and I was refused any help toward initial set up, costs, equipt etc as' Nail services are ten a penny and popping up everywhere.. If I wanted to get into something really usefull to then I'd get financial help.. IT course? Languages? ' of course I shook my head in disbelief.
I was lucky to have an understanding tutor to help with the initial basics until I'd practised (and charged equipt costs) until I could buy my own basics and I'm still earning to replace as I go at the mo.

A society that lets people live like this in the first place. ???

Jobs are almost impossible to come by hence so many people starting self employed so juicy I disagree with you. I was lucky enough to have a husband when I started up self employed who helped my set up costs but lots of people out there don't have any help so it would be impossible as it costs 100's and 100's to do it properly. I feel happy paying taxes knowing its going towards things like grants helping people making something of their lives than half the stuff it does go too.
As far as I'm aware they don't hand grants out willy nilly you have to have a detailed business plan prove what you buy with receipts if you don't take your grant seriously you can be liable to pay it back as it were a loan.

I am in the same situation. I don't want to be on benefits all my life and want to do something rewarding and go into business on my own in the nail/hair/ beauty sector. I don't want grants or loans or owe money out. I need to be shown how to run my own business. I have 1 year left on income support until they put me on job seekers allowance then they won't help me. Without spilling my personal circumstances to much, my money comes in I pay my bills, buy food then buy products. I make them last as much as I can and be economical as I can. I think in this current climate it's risky and I sometimes get a little scared because if I fail I will have nothing to fall back on. I am going on a business seminar on the 15th of next month the last one I went to there were people there from all walks of life which made it even more interesting.xx

go to your local jobcentre and book an interview or look online, if you have been unemployed and on benefits then there is help for you to become self employed. also if you are on income support you can work for up to 15 hours a week. get some advice hun because it will be worth it in the long run xxx

just wanted to also say the ppl who say why do ppl expect the government to help them are usually the ones that have never really been hard up so would not understand what it is like. to be quite honest we pay our taxes,ni etc so that when we are needing that bit extra the government can help us. Granted there are ppl out there who take this for granted but not everyone is like that and should not be treated as such.

well done to those of you are who are taking that massive step to try and give your family a future and yourself some independancy and respect xxxx

Jobs are almost impossible to come by hence so many people starting self employed so juicy I disagree with you.

just wanted to also say the ppl who say why do ppl expect the government to help them are usually the ones that have never really been hard up so would not understand what it is like. to be quite honest we pay our taxes,ni etc so that when we are needing that bit extra the government can help us. Granted there are ppl out there who take this for granted but not everyone is like that and should not be treated as such.

I agree with you and "Yes", you are right, I have never been in that position. But I have worked for everything I have and I appreciate everything I have. It has not been easy.

I do not understand why people have a problem with paying back a loan either from the Government or a Bank. If it is to start a business you will be making money soon, that's the point of starting a business. If you don't think you will be making enough to pay back a loan, you shouldn't start the business.

We are currently putting a second child through University. It is massively expensive. There are no grants just loans which we will have to pay back. We have just finished paying for the first child and the second one has just started! The third one, hopefully will be going next year. In total I think we are talking well over £60,000. But it is a choice we are making so that they can earn decent salaries one day so we think it will be worth it. I don't see the difference in me investing money in my children and someone else investing money in their own business.

I also still strongly believe that if its your own money you will be more committed.... thinking along those lines, perhaps my kids should be paying for themselves :D

Love and peace everyone.

Latest posts

Back