Busy beautician but still not covering her wage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all

I wanted some advice on calculations please my beautician is making just under her wages but is doing an average of 60 clients per month with approx 12 new clients per month. Her wages are £1007.pm /34 hours and has been with me since April 18. I have only been open just over 18 months.

My work (hair) is keeping the salon in profit. But I feel I'm carrying it all....im due to go off on maternity soon, and am terrified (I'm recruiting but struggling to find someone to help on the hair side while I'm away).

How do you calculate what your new staff 'should' be earning when you are a new salon and can't really compare it? My services are high value due to colour correction work ect.

Or I can up prices /add new services ?

Rough price guide:

Calgel -22
Lashes- 35-65
Lash lift and tint -28
Pedicure -28

No facials or massage currently due to room and cost (this is something I can look at in the new year)

Thank you x

Definitely review the services offered. All those treatments are lengthy with small profit margins.

Waxing is quick, takes up no space and has great margins, also I'd put your price up of lvl and pedicures and defo offer massage if you can x

Waxing is quick, you have to spend out a bit to get a wax heater and the bits to get going but then it’s a lot cheaper to keep going!

Can she offer tints as stand alone treatments e.g a brow tint and wax or just a brow and lash tint?

What about just doing file and polish or stand alone gel application on fingers and toes?

60 clients a month ... well if she works 20 days a month that is three clients a day, I would imagine there is scope for improvement there.

I am not sure I agree that massage is the way forward. It would take an hour (plus), is hard work and would probably only rake in £35 - £40.

Spray tanning can be done in less than 10 mins but call it 15 - 20 with consultation, changing, etc. and can earn £20 a pop.

Last edited:
Can I just clarify, you're paying her £1,007 per month for 34 hours per week? If so I'm assuming she's under 21, if that's the case I have found it helpful with younger people to invest as much time as possible in customer service training, you need to bear in mind that new therapists only perform a treatment three times before they're qualified in it and are generally quite terrified!.

Have you worked out what your average transaction value is?. Have you calculated your running costs per hour for the room? this should give you the amount you need to make per hour to survive, you may need to up your prices.

Can I just clarify, you're paying her £1,007 per month for 34 hours per week? If so I'm assuming she's under 21, if that's the case I have found it helpful with younger people to invest as much time as possible in customer service training, you need to bear in mind that new therapists only perform a treatment three times before they're qualified in it and are generally quite terrified!.

Have you worked out what your average transaction value is?. Have you calculated your running costs per hour for the room? this should give you the amount you need to make per hour to survive, you may need to up your prices.
Her wage is NMW. For her age. She has 4 years experience, so not new.
I have to say, her customer service is fantastic but timing can definitely be improved.

I run a hair and beauty salon, with three treatment rooms and the rest of the salon is dedicated to hair so I don't calculate per room as there's one therapist, currently employed.

Average transaction is £32.

Thank you xx

Waxing is quick, you have to spend out a bit to get a wax heater and the bits to get going but then it’s a lot cheaper to keep going!

Can she offer tints as stand alone treatments e.g a brow tint and wax or just a brow and lash tint?

What about just doing file and polish or stand alone gel application on fingers and toes?
Yeah we do all you have mentioned above. Sorry was just giving examples of prices in my post. We do everything apart from massage and facials x

60 clients a month ... well if she works 20 days a month that is three clients a day, I would imagine there is scope for improvement there.

I am not sure I agree that massage is the way forward. It would take an hour (plus), is hard work and would probably only rake in £35 - £40.

Spray tanning can be done in less than 10 mins but call it 15 - 20 with consultation, changing, etc. and can earn £20 a pop.
4 days per week but you are right... There's scope for more.

But after 18 months is this an ok number?

Waxing is quick, takes up no space and has great margins, also I'd put your price up of lvl and pedicures and defo offer massage if you can x
Can I ask what you recommend for the increase? Thanks

4 days per week but you are right... There's scope for more.

But after 18 months is this an ok number?

I work 29 hours a week and usually do at least 30 clients a week

I work 29 hours a week and usually do at least 30 clients a week
Ah ok, presumably you have been open in that location the same time then?
Xx

Can I ask what you recommend for the increase? Thanks
Sure, id charge £30-£40 for lash lift and £40 for a pedi, my pedis take me a good hour and I get alot of repeat business, callus peels are also great £25 and extra for gel x

Sure, id charge £30-£40 for lash lift and £40 for a pedi, my pedis take me a good hour and I get alot of repeat business, callus peels are also great £25 and extra for gel x
Great ok I think I need to be working towards 40 per hour per service really. Does that sound about right x

Ah ok, presumably you have been open in that location the same time then?
Xx

I work in a salon and I have worked there since June, these clients are in addition to the therapists who were already there and had established regulars :)

I work in a salon and I have worked there since June, these clients are in addition to the therapists who were already there and had established regulars :)
Ah ok.
See my salon has only been open 18 months so we are still building a reputation in the area.
As yours is an established salin, it's quite different & not a fair comparison. But your client numbers would be great to work towards in the near future x

Can you reduce her hours until she becomes busier?

I could not live on anything close to £1007 a month (even after deductions which i presume this figure isn't). Trying to reduce that even more sounds like a guaranteed way to loose an employee.

I could not live on anything close to £1007 a month (even after deductions which i presume this figure isn't). Trying to reduce that even more sounds like a guaranteed way to loose an employee.
It's not an option x

Also I know it’s extremely hard for small businesses but I wouldn’t be happy to pay the minimum wage. Minimum wage for a skilled tradesperson I feel is insulting. I know it’s not your fault but I always say you pay minimum wage you usually get minimum back... xxxxx

Latest posts

Back