SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashes909

Reaction score
I know I can’t be the only esthetician/lash artist who is fearful to be going back to work anytime soon. Lots of people come across as being eager to return to work on here and I understand that as estheticians we have to work to live, but at what cost? No one is addressing the safety of the esthetician/therapist themselves. I don’t want to be selfish, but right now the safety of my client is second in comparison to the safety of myself and my family. I can’t imagine actually working on clients lashes and being so close to their faces right now (even with a mask and gloves). Even the thought terrifies me. From research I’ve read and how long the virus can stay in the air and surfaces I don’t think any manner of disinfecting will truly protect me when I am actively touching clients faces. It just isn’t safe!

I just opened my business only at the beginning of January. I was finally finding my feet when coronavirus struck, so I have a lot to lose the longer I stay closed. I’m sure I will lose all of my clients if other businesses open as well and I don’t. But the idea of opening in May seems nonsensical unless I want to put myself and family at risk. There is no vaccine and the numbers are rising in the state I live in. I am even questioning now whether being an esthetician is safe any longer in this new world. If this is something that we will be battling on and off until there is a vaccine then I don’t know how being an esthetician fits into that equation.

I see people saying that they will be implementing new cleaning measures in their salons to protect clients, which is great, but what about our safety? I don’t want to risk my life and my at-risk mother because someone needs lash extensions.

I know this is a more negative viewpoint, but I wanted to try to voice some fears that I was hoping other estheticians might share. I’m sure some will say, then don’t be an esthetician anymore if you don’t want the risk, but I don’t feel like the choice of risking ones health and life is something one should ever have to make. And I’ve been a lash artist for years now. It’s all I know job skill-wise, so it’s not like I can just find another career.

Is anyone else struggling like this? I can’t be the only esthetician who is fearful to return to work anytime soon and questions the safety of returning to work too soon. And feel like their viewpoint isn’t being addressed.

Last edited:
That’s interesting. I don’t think I’ve spotted any posts on here from people desperate to return to work?
Here in Europe, I feel that people are less keen to return for exactly the reasons you’ve stated.

Here in the US there has been concerning news the past few days about states beginning to reopen and going against scientists warnings. Georgia, which is a state right next to mine is going to be reopening for estheticians, barbers, etc. in only three days. And the forums here are predominantly from the viewpoint of keeping clients safe. I wanted to express more of a viewpoint of keeping ourselves and our families safe.

I just feel alone because I never see a viewpoint of estheticians that don’t want to rush out until there is a vaccination or a means to keep us safe. Even if it means going against the opinions of politicians. We have a job that puts us at risk since we touch peoples faces and work in close proximity with clients, so I just don’t feel protected. I can’t socially distance from lash clients or stay 6ft apart when I am working.

I just wanted a space for estheticians to also express their fears for their own health.

I think you’ll find lots of support for your point of view in here.
You’re right, you shouldn’t be sent back to work until there’s evidence it’s safe to do so and as the US currently has the highest number of Covid-19 deaths and there’s no sign of the numbers decreasing, then it clearly isn’t the right decision at the moment.

Unfortunately, the Governors of those States are funded solely by the extremely wealthly who need their businesses to stay open.
When people are merely fodder in the great Capitalist machine, individual lives are expendable to those in power. :(

Hi lashes909
I feel exactly the same as you. I work from home and spend considerable time pondering on all this
I’ve been 16 years building up my business and I adore my clients, many have become friends but the health and safety of myself and my family comes first. Im asthmatic so fit in the vulnerable category and sadly I no longer have my mum but if I did she would definitely be a strong consideration for me like with you.
I’m in absolutely no rush to return and I’m sure many share these sentiments. I feel like a too-quick return will see a second wave of this damned virus in a few months and we’ll be back to square one.

I don't want to rush back to doing nails.
Lucky for me it's not my main form of income, I work in an office and I am still able to do my job. I have been one of the lucky ones.
In Australia Nail Salons have ceased to trade from direction of our Prime Minister but even when the restrictions are lifted I doubt I will jump straight back in.
I have a salon in my home, separate entrance, family room. Although it's only used for my nail salon it's still connected to my house and our family toilet is used by clients.
So I will be considering the health of my family before I start taking my old clients back.
You do what you think is best for you hun.

Latest posts

Back