Butterfly 'Top' Ring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGritt

Reaction score
Hello, this is my second tutorial for how i make a butterfly ring.

Appologies again for the photo quality.

This tutorial is missing out the actual making of the ring and just going into the 'top' section, this ring is very fragile!

*Firstly prep/create your acrylic ring as detailed in the other tutorial*

Items

• L&P
  • Sculpting Forms
  • Paints & Brushes
  • Glitter
  • Clear Varnish
  • Orange Stick/Dotting Tool
Step 1 Creating The Body Of The Butterfly.

Apply l&p in a long retangular shape to a nail form, allow to partially set so the l&p is still soft and pliable, once at this stage, remove from the form and roll into a sausage shape. Put to one side and allow to fully harden.

Step 1.jpg
Roll.jpg

Step 2 Creating The Wings

In this process you need to make a mental not of the size you are working with so that all of the wing shapes are the same size when sculpting on your form.

Start by sculpting a petal shape on your nail form with your l&p.

Step 2.jpg

Allow to partially set again and remove the petal shape from the nail form, pinch the point of the petal shape to add some shape

Step 2.1.jpg

Make an additional x3 petal shapes in this way.

Step 2.2.jpg

Step 4 Painting Your Butterfly

i am usuing acrylic paints on my butterfly, you may use varnishes also, this is a tricky step as the bits are very fiddly.

Start by covering the petal shapes in orange and allowing to dry

Step 3.jpg

Add detail to your wings , i am using black.

HINT: Use a dotting tool or orage stick to hold the wing shapes down whilt painting.

Step 3.1.jpg

Paint the sausage shape we made in black and allow to dry.

Paint the remaining wing shapes with your black **Remember to also paint the rear sid of the wing shape**

Step 3.3.jpg

Add some glitter to the middle of the wing shapes.

Step 4 Attaching the butterfly

Thjis process has to be done quite quickly as the acrylic 'blob' can cure before we have attatched.

Add a 'blob' of clear acrylic to your previously made ring and start by sticking the sausage (body) shape into the centre.

Step 4.jpg

Continue adding your petal shapes into the 'blob', if they feel slightly unsecure turn the ring upside down and re-enforce with more clear acrylic.

Allow to harden and finish with a coat of clear varnish, allow to dry and you are done :)

Done.jpg

Step 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back