Buying a domain name and web hosting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJK

Addicted to pilates geek
Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up a website and I'm trying to do things as well as I can but I really haven't got a clue.

I've looked at 123.reg. My domain name is available and I could buy web hosting at the same time. Will that be a problem later if I want to change web hosts and point my domain at another web host (think I'm using the right language but not positive)?

Note - I think I want to use a paid web host rather than a free site because it will be fully customisable and have the space I need to expand into.

I can highly recommend Bryon at Scotserve | Premium hosting and domain services - what he doesnt know about domains and hosting aint worth knowing.

He is also very fair and honest and wont rip you off. There are a lot of companies out there who will register your domain name in their name rather than yours, so make sure you are down as the Registrant in the Nominet registration.

SJK

You need to look at two things.

- Domain Name (yourname.co.uk is about £3 per year)
- Hosting Space (anything from £10 per year to £70 per year)

You can buy domains from a few places, but 123-reg is the recommend one on here.

Hosting space - I use Vidahost, UK (Maidstone) Based, and email replies within 30 minutes, and telephone calls within 5 rings, and very reasonably priced, including your own personal emails.

Brilliant Service. If you are looking for someone to design/build for you, then let me know, and I can offer some more info in regards to this, as my other half designed mine. Newcastle | Sunderland | Mobile Beautician | Beauty | Holisitc Therapies | Mancuires | Pedicures | Microdermabrasion | Training

If you use someone like 123-reg then it should be dead easy to cancel the hosting if you no longer need it, whilst keeping your domain name with them and updating DNS or nameservers to point to your new host.

But if you want web hosting with bog standard FTP access, then it would make sense to use 123-reg for that, as they should be as good as any...

Latest posts

Back