Buying Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glome

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'm in the UK and my mum is about to go to Florida on holiday (lucky her)...my question is would it be worth getting her to pick me up a some Gelish colours and maybe the 18g LED lamp? If so where could she buy these from? Or is there a website I can order form & get delivered to her while she's there?

Mainly asking as the exchange rate it would make the purchases easier on my bank account!!!

Thanks

Personally I would not do this firstly you can't take the Gelish on a plane, I've asked as a friend wanted me to for her wedding and secondly I believe the plug for the 18g would not be a British one and so your insurance would not be valid for it and no warranty would cover it either.

I think the lamps in the US are a different amp or something aren't they??

Personally I would not do this firstly you can't take the Gelish on a plane, I've asked as a friend wanted me to for her wedding and secondly I believe the plug for the 18g would not be a British one and so your insurance would not be valid for it and no warranty would cover it either.

I quite agree on the lamp but there is no reason you cannot take Gelish on a plane as long as it is in your hold luggage, I have taken mine on a plane a few times with no problems.

I really dont see why not. If the lamp is both 110 and 220 volts you can easily use a switch plug to use it in Britain. If it's only 110 volts you would need a changer to use it in a 220 plug. Most small electronics are both 110 and 220.

As for the Gelish colors you would need to get an account with Sally's to be able to order it online. If you can do that from Britain I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do that either.

Good luck:)

It really isn't worth buying from another country just to save a bit. If anything went wrong with the equipment or products you would get no support from the distributor here (Nail Harmony UK)

If the lamp doesn't have dual voltage plugging it in here can blow it up! as our voltage is much higher. Or you get a converter plug which is not cheap!

A small amound or products can go in your luggage but it isn't actually legal as you are avoiding import tax and several full and unopened bottles are a bit of a giveaway!!

It really isn't worth buying from another country just to save a bit. If anything went wrong with the equipment or products you would get no support from the distributor here (Nail Harmony UK)

If the lamp doesn't have dual voltage plugging it in here can blow it up! as our voltage is much higher. Or you get a converter plug which is not cheap!

A small amound or products can go in your luggage but it isn't actually legal as you are avoiding import tax and several full and unopened bottles are a bit of a giveaway!!

You forgot the bit about the jail sentence for avoiding import tax everyone brings up when a thread like this is started! :lol:

I agree with mum, I really wouldn't risk it with the lamp.

You forgot the bit about the jail sentence for avoiding import tax everyone brings up when a thread like this is started! :lol:

I agree with mum, I really wouldn't risk it with the lamp.

:smack::lol: Maybe not quite a jail sentence! But I do know quite a few people who have been caught out this way who have had products confiscated or had to pay some hefty duty. I travel all the time with products but usually both out AND back but I have been stopped several times! Fortunately, the only thing I've ever had confiscated is a bottle of acetone!

Plus there's the little thing of not supporting a UK supplier :|

I got a Gelish lamp on my Gelish course which had a non British plug. (It has a two pinned plug) I just bought a wee adapter and it works great - no problem at all.

I wouldn't risk it, at my Gelish training I was told not to buy anything from the states as they might not let you import it here and for the lamp they use different amp so you might experience some problem such as the Gelish not fully curing etc...
If I were you I would buy it at Sally's on their vat free days, it's still expensive but at least it's a bit cheaper and you have a bit of piece of mind :) x

I cannot address the issue of the import taxes, other than to say that professionals should not be evading taxes (so declare what she brings), but buying Gelish and other gel polishes here in the States should be no problem, I would advise you put it in your checked luggage. Some inspectors view gel polish as flammable and will confiscate it from carry-on luggage.

As for the lamp, my Gelish 18G lamp says on the transformer block that it is dual voltage 110-220, but the plug is an American one. At a minimum you'd need a plug adapter and it should work, in theory. Certainly my computer stuff works that way. But I am leery of doing this for things that give off heat/light (hair dryers, curling irons, UV lamps, etc.); I've never had it work quite right and I have heard stories on this and other boards on exploding/burning/zapping lamps that were bought overseas. Plus, there's the unseen problem of undercuring. It's a risk.

So I'd forget about getting the lamp hereand concentrate on getting lots of interesting colors - Gelish and other brands.

Where in Florida is your mum going? I could give you some places.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back