Buying/using photos for website etc.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemiss1t

Reaction score
Hi,

Where does everyone buy their pictures / photos for their own use - I have some ideas to use some quotes and I have Googled them and seen some really nice pictures (rather than me just typing them onto the website).

I do know people who just "save as" a picture and use them - but you need permission don't you?

Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Carly xx

What is it thay you want pictures of? There are some thay you can use which do not have any copyright, so you can use them freely, but on your website you want it to be about you and your salon. So maybe take some pictures yourself of your work, your salon, would be much better x

If you just want generic images contact your suppliers if you use brands and they should be more than happy to help for stock photos. If I'm going anything like that I use stock photos from suppliers or pixabay, it's a website with free images you can use. But definitely get some photos of your work space, your work and your logo too to make things unique to you and your brand as @jamiereid92 says!

Some free options;
pixabay.com
pexels.com

If you want something specific though you need to pay. We use deposit photos because we get a good deal buying a big bulk but Shutterstock tends to be the best but isn't cheap.

Don't use any images on Google because everyone thinks nothing will happen and it won't happen to them but it really does. There are bots built to scan for these photos 'in the wild' so to speak and if they find it and you can't provide a proof of license purchase they don't mess about. You'll be paying in the hundreds or going to court.

There is a great free photo stock called unsplash, I usually look for quality pictures there ;) For the paid ones it's usually shutterstock

What is it thay you want pictures of? There are some thay you can use which do not have any copyright, so you can use them freely, but on your website you want it to be about you and your salon. So maybe take some pictures yourself of your work, your salon, would be much better x

I had a summer house salon at home but am now going mobile so a lot of my photos were of the salon - I always forget to take photos of my own work - how do you go about getting client's consent to allowing their photos on the website?

I wanted some quotes to help pitch the idea of having a home visit and being comfortable and had just seen some nice font styles when I googled on Images - hope that makes sense?

Carly x

Some free options;
pixabay.com
pexels.com

If you want something specific though you need to pay. We use deposit photos because we get a good deal buying a big bulk but Shutterstock tends to be the best but isn't cheap.

Don't use any images on Google because everyone thinks nothing will happen and it won't happen to them but it really does. There are bots built to scan for these photos 'in the wild' so to speak and if they find it and you can't provide a proof of license purchase they don't mess about. You'll be paying in the hundreds or going to court.

Thank you for your comments - this is why I want to go about it the best and correct way and once I have found the right pictures, then I won't need to change, but just update them.

Carly x

There is a great free photo stock called unsplash, I usually look for quality pictures there ;) For the paid ones it's usually shutterstock

Thank you - I am going to have a look on here. I did buy a really specific picture from Shutterstock years ago but I just wanted a few more to add onto the website.

Carly x

Hi. You try taking your own pics. or try using google to to search for pics. there is a way top search for copyright free images, but as said before, not always good. I have used shutterstock on quite a few occasions. If you only want web based images then the cost is not too bad. its when you start wanting broadcast quality and hi-res images that the prices rockets up.

Ive paid a few £ for an image in the past and the most I have ever paid is £50 for a 32 second video. The good thing is I can then use any of the images and video again and again.

Gary

Thank you - I will be taking photos of my work but as I created my own website, I just wanted some nice photos to help the website look professional to represent me and then add photos in time.

Carly x

I got some great, professional looking ones just to help with the website to look professional - found them easy to use too. Thank you for the recommendation.

Add quotes onto your own photos! I use “PicLab” on iPhone and just add fun quotes and stuff onto my own images / so much fun!

Also, I once paid for a local photographer to take some pictures for a project I was working on - I got brilliant quality images that wouldn’t be used anywhere else that helped make my website look professional! It was worth every penny and I’m so glad I did it!

Add quotes onto your own photos! I use “PicLab” on iPhone and just add fun quotes and stuff onto my own images / so much fun!

Also, I once paid for a local photographer to take some pictures for a project I was working on - I got brilliant quality images that wouldn’t be used anywhere else that helped make my website look professional! It was worth every penny and I’m so glad I did it!

Thank you for your reply - I do want to start using my own photos - how do people go about consent for using client's in their photos etc?

I got some great, professional looking ones just to help with the website to look professional - found them easy to use too. Thank you for the recommendation.
Good job! ;) was glad to help!

Latest posts

Back