By accident or design?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deena

Reaction score
Reading through all the highs and lows that are part and parcel of becoming a nail tech on here, I was wondering how people got into it in the first place?

For me, I'd been thinking about having my nails 'Done' for a while and just wandered into a salon late one wet afternoon and asked if they could fit me in? They asked me all sorts of questions about what I wanted and I just stood there looking nonplussed, as I didn't know anything about different 'Systems' or much else besides regarding nail enhancements, tbh. :confused:

Anyway, I sat there fascinated as she began to work her 'Magic' on my <at the time> nibbled talons and commented that she made it look incredibly easy, but that I suspected it wasn't. She just smiled and continued to transform them for me. My interest grew with my subsequent maintenance visits. That got me thinking .....

Anyone like to share how they decided to embark on their training? :)

There is actually a thread here somewhere, that's quite long actually that tells of how everyone ended up becoming Nail Techs. It's rather interesting to read the stories.
I'll see if I can't find it.

:hug:

Would be great to read and sorry if I'm going over old ground for some of you.

my friend does nails and i always like the idea of before and after look....she has done it for 7 years....when we moved to where we are now (1 and 1/2 years ago)my hubby opened his/our tattoo studio...i was bored (children grown up ) and NEEDED something to do....went round my friends who does nails,and then she said why not do the same.....practised for bout year then took exams passed and here i am ....it fits in well with chidren as i work from home....luckly i have not had them ill when i have done nails....i am my own boss and i love it...love meeting new people,would not change it for the worl dxxxx

I only had my nails done two times before .......once to get them on....and once for a fill......

decided I could do it when the nail tech hurt me....leaving scabs on all ten of my fingers ! :eek:

I decided I could do that with allot less pain !

the rest is history

I'd been having mine done for years with varying degrees of good/terrible nails to show when I started wanting to learn. My Creative lady in Oslo, Anne Vera and one of her girls Marit were my final inspiration. I couldn't get taken on for the Creative course so I went with EzFlow. Its been a huge experience for me, I'm on a go slow since getting to the UK, running our of monomer and supplier issues but when I get a brush in my hand to do my own nails or practice on my various practice things I just dissapear into my own private universe. Nothing quite like it.

Yes, you think you'll just have a little play and a couple of hours later, you realise you're still at it! :)

Would be great to read and sorry if I'm going over old ground for some of you.

Not old ground hun, :hug:

I'm sure there are other similar threads, BUT we also have a lot of newbies since that thread was first run, so I'm sure we can get some new stories

:green:

I guess it was kinda by accident, a spur of the moment thing. I was in a job i didn't partically like, and wanted to work for myself. After speaking to my mum she suggested to do a nail course, coz i was always doing my own nails (just manicures), so i thought it sounds good so what the hell? I looked around for a good course and well i got bitten by the bug:green:

Although i never knew whether my mum wanted me to do the course cos she though i would be interested in it or because she was getting her nails done at the time & thought it would be good if i could do them for her ;) i guess i will never know lol.

The story of MissVain
The first time i had my nails done it was a french acrylic sculpture. I was 18 and studying in canada. Didn't have a clue about manicures, pedicures or anything about nails except pink & red polish, nail file and nail clipper. Haha.

i am from a multimedia background. I have a creative agency doing print & web development. Then I decided to train in nails. Although it was purely out of interest & as a hobby, I wanted to take the best course available so I decided on EzFlow.

What started out as a hobby has become a career switch for me. After my training, I knew nails was what I really love doing. So, I am now a proud owner of a salon :) I also have plans to start another salon with a school in the future.

~ The End ~

Are you sitting comfortably? Then i'll begin......:lol:

I'd always done my friends hair, makeup & nail from being about 10, then after my GCSEs i didnt know what i wanted to do in life so ended up staying for 6th form. At the time my cousin had started at the local college doing beauty and she signed up for a nails course in the evening too, and told me about it, it sounded interesting so i signed up too. And as they say the rest is history :wink2:

I had some BAD experiences. The first time I went to have my nails done, the tech literally filed through my nail plate. It was beyond description. The nails were lumpy and hideous. I love pretty nails but I could never find a technician that could do them for me. That was several years before I found Nail Geek last November.

My mum is a registered nurse but she always wanted to be a hairdresser. She and I were having a conversation last Thanksgiving about what path she would have chosen if she could go back and do things differently. She told me she'd have gone the beauty route.

So my mum was my inspiration. She and my MIL really encouraged me, actually the whole family did. We managed an amazing house of cards for childcare while I went to school.

My other motivation was my grandparents and their feet. Prior to school, I hadn't ever worked on another individual. My grandparent's feet were a right mess. Thick, overgrown and literally painful for them. I worked on them a little bit each time I saw them and the began to grown out beautifully. I could literally see a line of demarcation where they began to be healthy.

Whiile in school, I was able to extern with a distributor that also has a salon attached to it so I've had the opportunity to learn from and work with educators from CND, OPI & Medicool in the past year. I'm looking forward to working with educators from EZ Flow, IBD and Backscratchers as well in 2008. I was just promoted to Education Coordinator which was like winning the lottery as it gives me so many chances to learn new things. I'm working on my grand master now for CND and I have high hopes of one day becoming an ambassador.

S

Wow Carl your site is amazing! Personally I had acrylics since I was 13 and then decided to do a BTEC in beauty therapy just because I liked the look of it followed by all my Creative courses and mobile tech work. My BTEC then came to an end and I realised if I had to work full time to support myself and my little boy I would have to work for myself because like many women I wouldn't want my boss deciding what hours I could spend with him. And then I ended up workin all the hours God sends anyway! :lol:

For me ...it was purely by accident I got into nails!!!

My sister had been getting her nails done for ages...but I had no interest.

She bought me a voucher for her nail salon for my Christmas....by April and with the voucher about to run out I thought I had better just bite the bullet and make an appointment. I did.
I got a set of sculptured nails....and I was absolutely fascinated and hooked after that first appointment.
People in work, who had never spoken to me before, were admiring my nails.
I kept going and was a regular client, then I decided to make the leap from client to Technician.

It was a lot more difficult than I thought!!!!....but I persevered.

It was the best career move I have ever made!

I sat with my boyfriend in a restaurant one evening crying into my wine. My job was so stressful, the competition for promotion was beyond fierce, and in trying to compete and succeed I only saw my lovely kids for a hour a day, sometimes less. I was so upset at having spent years at college/uni for something that I thought would improve my way of life and I was more miserable than I could imagine. My boyfriend looked at my hands (complete with acrylics), and being a complete bloke said "those women that sit doing nails all day probably make more money than you for less hours and are happier doing what they do". I understood his point, as blunt as it was, but it got me thinking. that week, I booked my creative foundation course. I'm now part time at work, part time mobile tech, with a view to leaving work completely early next year in favour of being a full time mobile tech.

Nails aint easy, the hours arent part time, but I'm so happy now, I know I've done the right thing :green:

Latest posts

Back