C curl and pinching

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanyer21

Nail addict
Reaction score
How many of you pinch the nails to form a really defined c curl I have been watching videos on this and was wondering if this is really much better ? Most of my infills clients then go onto just an overlay on there natural nails once the tip has grown out so then wouldn't that c curl make no difference anyway ?

Yes I put a c curve in new sets

No you can't do it on infills as the free edge us already cured product and therefore can't be manipulated into shape.

If you wanted to enhance a natural c curve you would need to remove all existing product and replace, forming the curve as the product cures.

It's a skill that needs to be taught correctly as lots of damage can be caused by pinching the wrong place, too hard, at the wrong time in the curing process, etc.

I would avoid doing very pronounced C curves because it can actually damage the finger by causing the nail plate to come off the nail bed. C curve places an upward force on the nail plate.

Its best to avoid this practice because if damage were to happen, every one in the industry will take a hit because of this mistake.

Last edited:
Like anything, it depends on the nail shape of your client. Some common sense is needed. If they have a flat natural c-curve, you can enhance this a moderate amount. If their c-cure is more pronounced, you can increase it more. For a while, the Pipe shape was incredibly popular in some countries and that has a 50% c-curve - not every clients nails were suitable for this. (Still my fav shape)

But as Trinity said, it needs to be taught correctly face-to-face to avoid harm.

I would avoid doing very pronounced C curves because it can actually damage the finger by causing the nail plate to come off the nail bed. C curve places an upward force on the nail plate.

Its best to avoid this practice because if damage were to happen, every one in the industry will take a hit because of this mistake.

6 years ago — A new client came to me as she was experiencing pain with her acrylic nail enhancements. She said that her tech kept sending her away saying that the pain was normal and then probably just because she was focusing on having nail enhancements on, she had them on for around month with two infill appointments by her tech.. and decided to try somewhere else to see if the pain stopped.

She rightly trusted her own judgement.

On seeing the nails, I could see that they had been pinched and talked through the whole procedure of application.. confirmed the hollow pipes and pinching tool use.

On removal, and as feared, she had a serious onycholosis (lifting of the natural nail plate). Sore, red, infection on the way.

I could literally see how much pain this lady was in by her face when she was talking me through things, bless her she was wincing.

Tech’s don’t realise that they are curving too much and lifting the natural nail off gradually with the curing product, it gets worse with wear, and in a very short time.. clients also do not realise this on application so won’t say anything - they trust the professional.

It’s damage that shouldn’t have to happen.

As much as pinching is lovely, unless you’re completely confident that you can do it without creating an unnecessary problem, then it’s best not to.

I was never confident with it, but never asked for it and mostly didn’t feel I needed it but that’s my own choice, I don’t think that it shouldn’t be done overall but I think there is definitely specific mastery involved in pinching so that you get the free edge curve only.. and not the rest of the enhancement, the bulk over the natural nail plate.

It does look beautiful on competition Y2K nails, and competition nails have a super long free edge, I think for me pinching would always be about competition nails - not general wear nails x

ps sorry for the long client story, just think it’s well worth mentioning.

Last edited:
6 years ago — A new client came to me as she was experiencing pain with her acrylic nail enhancements. She said that her tech kept sending her away saying that the pain was normal and then probably just because she was focusing on having nail enhancements on, she had them on for around month with two infill appointments by her tech.. and decided to try somewhere else to see if the pain stopped.

She rightly trusted her own judgement.

On seeing the nails, I could see that they had been pinched and talked through the whole procedure of application.. confirmed the hollow pipes and pinching tool use.

On removal, and as feared, she had a serious onycholosis (lifting of the natural nail plate). Sore, red, infection on the way.

I could literally see how much pain this lady was in by her face when she was talking me through things, bless her she was wincing.

Tech’s don’t realise that they are curving too much and lifting the natural nail off gradually with the curing product, it gets worse with wear, and in a very short time.. clients also do not realise this on application so won’t say anything - they trust the professional.

It’s damage that shouldn’t have to happen.

As much as pinching is lovely, unless you’re completely confident that you can do it without creating an unnecessary problem, then it’s best not to.

I was never confident with it, but never asked for it and mostly didn’t feel I needed it but that’s my own choice, I don’t think that it shouldn’t be done overall but I think there is definitely specific mastery involved in pinching so that you get the free edge curve only.. and not the rest of the enhancement, the bulk over the natural nail plate.

It does look beautiful on competition Y2K nails, and competition nails have a super long free edge, I think for me pinching would always be about competition nails - not general wear nails x

ps sorry for the long client story, just think it’s well worth mentioning.
That's pretty crazy.

But yea, pinching just creates more risk for the industry. I don't think there's a safe way to do it because if you just pinch the free edge, the nail looks off..

That's pretty crazy.

But yea, pinching just creates more risk for the industry. I don't think there's a safe way to do it because if you just pinch the free edge, the nail looks off..

It was awful. I only know very little about pinching to be honest, it does make sense that it would be off.

It looks so beautiful as a finish so can see why people would want it, I’m guessing if it’s seen on social media that might increase requests too x

It was awful. I only know very little about pinching to be honest, it does make sense that it would be off.

It looks so beautiful as a finish so can see why people would want it, I’m guessing if it’s seen on social media that might increase requests too x

It does look really nice as a finish.

Latest posts

Back