CA Resin Information

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsinlondon1

Reaction score
Thanking Doug Schoon and Samuel Sweet for their much valued help with this Article.

Thanks Guys you rock !

Methyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive is perfect for repairing broken China and glass. Methyl has a stronger smell and its vapours are a little more irritating to the skin (and eyes) than Ethyl, but, overall they're pretty close in performance. Methyl is a little more difficult to remove, so because of all these little differences makes Ethyl a better suited adhesive for nail enhancement purposes

Methyl Cyanoacrylate and Ethyl Cyanoacrylate Adhesives do not cause cancer, No Cyanoacrylate is carcinogenic. Cancer-causing substances are very rare in comparison to all of the chemicals people come in contact with each day.
(Note: they only difference between medical and non medical is there certification. They are the same product, so even a non-hospital grade is very safe.) Cyanoacrylates are very safe, if used properly, i.e manufacturer’s instructions are followed and warnings are heeded. These adhesives are are used as internal sutures during surgery.
The main difference between retail and professional nail adhesives are in the special additives added to the Cyanoacrylate. These additives can make bonding to the nail plate easier and stronger, especially to oily nail plates. Both should be colour stable. If they tend to discolour, it's most likely due to an incompatibility caused by one of these special additives. Some companies have there own special additive blend, while others use generic formulas.

Ethyl Cyanoacrylate (EC) adhesive is a little bit more flexible and works better on the nail plate. More flexibility gives us better longevity on the nail plate, so because of all these little differences, Ethyl Cyanoacrylate is a better suited adhesive for nail enhancement purposes.

Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesives come in different viscosities. Thin, medium and thick viscosity. In order for these to polymerize they need moisture. All resins will eventually polymerize without any Spray or Brush on Activators, as the moisture that is present in the air and on the nail plate upon contact with the adhesive will cause polymerization.
To speed up polymerization and to give us a better salon work time, we use a trigger known as "the Activator". There are two types of Activators, Spray on and Brush on.

The spray on Activator works, by delivering a fine mist over the coating, triggers the polymerization and shortens the cure time to seconds. Normally, EC Adhesives will polymerize with even tiny amounts of moisture. Some manufacturers put more stabilizers in to give us more product time control and workability to create nails - so the activators role is to override the stabilizers and to speed up polymerization.

Spray on activator, sprayed to closely, too much or also using it with a thick viscosity adhesive can cause a chemical heat reaction (Exothermic reaction), this reaction can reach temperatures of 120F / 49 C. The more molecules of Cyanoacrylate you have, the more heat is released. Each time a molecule of Cyanoacrylate joins with another, a tiny amount of heat is released. If 100 million molecules joined together in a few seconds, will release more heat than 50 million molecules polymerizing in the same amount of time. This exothermic reaction can lead to onycholysis and is also a very uncomfortable experience for the client. To much of this trigger can also lead to micro shattering of the adhesive, which then reduces the strength and adhesion of your coating, tiny microscopic cracks appear that eventually can turn into product breakdown.

The brush on activator works in the same way, but instead of a spray delivering the trigger, a small brush is used to brush out the adhesive and to start the polymerization, this trigger has a slightly different chemical composition, giving us a slower, more controlled cure time. This type of activator is used for thick set adhesives, giving us the advantage to build a good apex and reinforce the stress area.
The Brush on Activators are easier to control, easier to keep the product off the hand and out of the breathing air.

So for the thin viscosity adhesives, air dry is usually enough to polymerize the coating.

A. Spray on Activator is only to be used with thin to medium set viscosity Adhesives.
B. Brush on Activator can be use on all viscosities Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesives.
C. It is also advisable to use Activators and Adhesives from the same manufacturer, as each of these will have developed these, to work efficiently and safely with their product.

Thanks Ruth, what a brilliant article:)

Thanks Ruth, excellent as I'm brushing up on my fibreglass skills learned about 12 years ago.

i was informed (or maybe mis-informed) that activating resin makes it more waterproof than un-activated resin due to a chemical reaction (when i did a fibreglass course), is there any truth in this?
i activate everytime i use resin, it prevents me ruining my files by buffing through to semi set resin and clogging my files.

i was informed (or maybe mis-informed) that activating resin makes it more waterproof than un-activated resin due to a chemical reaction (when i did a fibreglass course), is there any truth in this?
i activate everytime i use resin, it prevents me ruining my files by buffing through to semi set resin and clogging my files.

No Carl, there is no thruth in the statement that ec resins are more waterproof if activated. When they are dry they are dry and the activation process does not change the mollecular structure of the resin.

Someone wanted you to use lots of expensive activator. I was originally taught the same thing ,,, probably form the same people.

Cheers Ruth - You are full of great advice and knowledge x

Everyone should read this, even if they don't use a wrap system. Knowledge is power. Great info Ruth!

Well Done! I'll be directing the next class to your article!!

Brilliant!!
V/informative. Thanks:)

how did i miss this one?lol
fab info hunnio :)

Latest posts

Back