Cake Decorating??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklepink

modges r us..we r coolio!
Reaction score
hey geekios
i got a fab book last yr on cake decorating and i am yet to have a go....
...maybe it comes from being a bit creative and loving to eat cake...lolol

does anyone else do cake decoration?

have you been on any classes or are there any good books you have found?

its my sister birthday in a few weeks and im going to try to make something simple but pretty for her as it will be more personal that just popping to marks' and getting a ready made one

Jess
xox

Hi Jess ,Glynnis (PP) is the geek for you,she has posted to amazing pic's of the cakes she has done lately,i'm sure she would be able to give you some hints and tips.

Hth's xxx

hey geekios
i got a fab book last yr on cake decorating and i am yet to have a go....
...maybe it comes from being a bit creative and loving to eat cake...lolol

does anyone else do cake decoration?

have you been on any classes or are there any good books you have found?

its my sister birthday in a few weeks and im going to try to make something simple but pretty for her as it will be more personal that just popping to marks' and getting a ready made one

Jess
xox

ive done loads before, i made a blues clues one for matty ive made a postman pat one and without a book, just played arond with icing till it looked ok, and ive made my own wedding cake, and even though i say so myself it wasnt bad, i used matching coloured ribbon and roses with my colour scheme and attached them, there are plenty of good sites on the net with ideas and step by steps etc, so have a go hun

i also do card making and scrabooking and i make clothes and kids costumes etc , so i think the being crafty goes hand in hand dont you?

enjoy it jess, im sure your sister will really appreciate the personal touch hun

xxxx
and pics when youve done it eh?

cheers for the links.... how did i not remember or know that G did cakes???,,,,,,lol

Jess
xox

what is you sister into jess. i normally just go with that, the shoe cake i did was for the simple reason that she LOVES shoes, has 100's of pairs, and her fave colour is pink, and bling.

let me know and ill try and come up with some ideas for ya flower

Dare I say it!?..... I'm a qualified baker! which means part of my course was cake decorating.

Haven't decorated a cake in years, but my specialities were:

7dwarves
nude man
mude woman
garfield
scrabble board
fried breakfast
washing up with taps
ninja turtles
mickey mouse
filofax
typewriter

I would recommend buying REGAL ICE roll out icing and buy the already coloured ones as it saves ages rolling it out.

what is you sister into jess. i normally just go with that, the shoe cake i did was for the simple reason that she LOVES shoes, has 100's of pairs, and her fave colour is pink, and bling.

let me know and ill try and come up with some ideas for ya flower

thanks hunnio..... im thinking of going with a chocolate cake with buttercream filling and then sugarpaste with some thing like polka dots or something simple cut out on top and maybe add a bow?..... dont wanna go to crazy with my first real go

Jess
xox

CHOCOLATE CAKE

5 oz/140gm Softened butter
8oz/250gm caster sugar
2 eggs
2oz/55gm self-raising flour
5 and half oz/165gm plain flour
¾ tsp bicarb
2oz/60gm cocoa powder
Small carton butter milk (tesco’s)
Baking time 1 – 1 ¼ hours

1. preheat oven to 180℃ (350℉/gas 4)
2. Lightly grease tin and line.
3. Beat butter and sugar with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
4. add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
5. fold in combined flours, bicard and cocoa powder alternately with the butter milk
6. spoon into tin and smooth the surface

Once cooked, leave in tin for 5 mins before turning out onto wire rack.

Storage: keep in airtight container in fridge for a week, or freeze for 2 months

this is a fab recipe jess. works EVERYTIME

sorry peter pan but can you tell me why you store it in the fridge for a week? i have never heard that one before or am i just being dumb again?????:confused::cry:

Dare I say it!?..... I'm a qualified baker! which means part of my course was cake decorating.

7dwarves
nude man
mude woman
garfield
scrabble board
fried breakfast
washing up with taps
ninja turtles
mickey mouse
filofax
typewriter

I would recommend buying REGAL ICE roll out icing and buy the already coloured ones as it saves ages rolling it out.

oooooooo thanks for the tip hunnio :D

sorry peter pan but can you tell me why you store it in the fridge for a week? i have never heard that one before or am i just being dumb again?????:confused::cry:

i think she is meaning it can be kept like that for a week

Last edited:

7dwarves
nude man
mude woman
garfield
scrabble board
fried breakfast
washing up with taps
ninja turtles
mickey mouse
filofax
typewriter

Good grief Ann ... you mean to say that you do all those wonderful holistic treatments and you're a master baker too?! You're one talented little geek aren't ya?! :wink2:

blush! (not!)
Yip, for my sins, I trained as a chef (2 years) then master baker (2 years) and even won a scholarship that helped pay for many more beers!!!

worked in the catering trade until 10 years ago when I started my holistic work.

I got into holistics as a hobby originally.

Now, I let my hub do all the cooking. Been there, done that, covered the t-shirt in icing, etc, etc!

as jess said - this is how you can store it IF you want to

I decorated cakes for years, when my daughters were small.
I want the new Wilton 3d cup cake pan.:lol:NEW Wilton GIANT DIMENSIONS 3D CUPCAKE CAKE PAN
I just dont have an excuse/reason to get it.
I have the hot lips pan out on the kitchen counter for Valentine's Day and earlier today, I cut the cardboard for 3 cakes.
I now have to schedule the time to bake, before Valentines Day passes.
Back in the day, I did cakes for weddings,money makes (schools/church)
adult parties, and children's parties. I didn't know how to make money doing it so I gave up.
Baking is a huge relax time for me.

I love looking through cake decorating books. I've had to do a few over the years. I made a witch for a bday cake and I did my sisters wedding cake.

My fave was when I had to do a xmas fruit cake for catering at high school. We had to bake the cake and then decorate with marzipan. I had a great time doing it making marzipan flowers and I did lacey piping around the sides.

I was going to do one for my 30th. I've seen a book on naughty birthday cakes and was going to do a naked man or something similar as my birthday was dirty 30s theme but didn't get around to it. Had I known I could have put my order in to hippy-chick since naked men were her speciality.:hug:

hippy-chick since naked men were her speciality.:hug:

I beg your pardon? What are you trying to imply? (said in an outraged Hycanith Boquet voice):smack:

oooh i wanna do a cake decorating course coz i think they are so fab, i like baking infact i might just go try that recipe of glynis's ,
can you use anything else instead of buttermilk ?? i aint got any of that , lol

oooh i wanna do a cake decorating course coz i think they are so fab, i like baking infact i might just go try that recipe of glynis's ,
can you use anything else instead of buttermilk ?? i aint got any of that , lol

i have tried it without the buttermilk and to be honest, its just not the same.

oh and bye the way, i use the betty crocker premium chocolate filling. its absolutely deeeeee lishhhhhhhhhhhh

Latest posts

Back