Calcium in Gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieJ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I work with a girl who I noticed had her nails done the other day - I had a look and found out they are natural nail overlay with Gel, she went on to say that the nail tech said the gel has calcium in it which actually helps the nails grow.Now my first reaction was that its not true and it couldn't have calcium in it, but as im a relative newbie and don't know this girl too well I didn't say anything just said that they looked nice and that was that!

Is there any amount of truth in this? If not its not really fair for the tech to say this as the client is always going to believe it!

thanks x x

I suppose a product could contain calcium ... but it would have no affect on the growth rate or health of a normal natural nail.

Fingernails contain, actually, only trace amounts of calcium and it is one of those myths that calcium-containing products help your nails at all.

This type of Marketing is all about appealing to those who believe the myths or simply do not know the facts.

Like claiming that one particular nail product is organic and that somehow makes it better for the natural nails. Rubbish ... all nail products are organic which simply means they contain Carbon. Doesn't mean the products are better or more pure or healthier! Cow poop is organic (hardly pure or healthy) ... great for the garden, but not for your nails.

OMG...whatever next LOL

There is roughly 0.07% calcium in your nails....you have more traces of titanium and alluminium in your nails so Calcium has no effect whatsover to your nails

Amanda

Thanks for the reply Geeg. Its hard to say anything about it when you're not 100% sure of the facts!

I suppose its a good marketing technique for her but its a shame then that the clients are thinking that the Gels are good for you, and L&P isn't. I suppose its a case of explaining the facts to the client! :Grope:

Lily said:
OMG...whatever next LOL

There is roughly 0.07% calcium in your nails....you have more traces of titanium and alluminium in your nails so Calcium has no effect whatsover to your nails

Amanda

Like ive just said, im sure its a good marketing technique for her but I find it funny how they can just say this without it being totally true! :irked:

Trouble is anyone can say anything these days ... all the more reason why we have to be clued up and know the facts and not just blindly believe the silly hype surrounding claims like this. Easy to dispel the myths when you know the facts eh??

Knowledge is Power!!

There is way more sodium than calcium in the nail plate..........but we are not told eating loads of salt helps your nails grow!!!!

Yeah like stick your fingers in a glass of milk and it will make them stronger :eek:

Amanda

Reminds me of a client who actually argued that point with me! She was saying my nails are so good because evey single day of my life I drink a glass of milk, I told her the facts etc etc but she just didn't want to hear it!

Hey I'm just a nail tech what the hell do I know about nails!!!!!!!!!

Oceana said:
Reminds me of a client who actually argued that point with me! She was saying my nails are so good because evey single day of my life I drink a glass of milk, I told her the facts etc etc but she just didn't want to hear it!

Hey I'm just a nail tech what the hell do I know about nails!!!!!!!!!

Yeah i have had that too Clare......like exactly who is the proffesional here????????

Not me....i aint spent loads of money and time on valuable training???????

Lets all stick one finger in a glass of milk for an hour every day to see what happens lol

I am not taking the micky and as Geeg says......when companies say a certain thing then some people will beleive it???????

Its only when you see outside of the 'bubble' that you see that soemtimes what companies say are very very misleading

Amanda

when i did a certain nail companies training we were told this sort of rubbish it wasnt until i did lots and lots of other training that i found out that this was so untrue.:eek:

Latest posts

Back