Calgel advise please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooey

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first time on here and have been wanting to come on here for ages. I have started doing Calgel nails (trained last July) and am finding it a real challenge - i never realised just how much goes into a set of nails, and bow to your experience and expertise.!I have done a lot of sets of overlays now, but the vast majority of clients are experiencing the gel lifting ( including myself when i do my own nails) despite spending a good half hour preparing the nail beforehand(is this too long?) as I am a bit of a perfectionist.
Also, on the rare occasions when i have done an infill, the clients always say how thick the gel looks afterwards, and I realise this myself but i don't know how to thin it down without filiing all the gel off. am i being too scared of filing too much? its just that it seems like you are filing the gel off as you file into it. Can you advise on the best type of file to use for an infill? I would really appreciate any advise as i work on my own and could cry about this sometimes! thankyou!

Hi and welcome to the site.

There are many technicians here that use Calgel and I'm sure you will get lots of help when they see this post. x

where are they lifting? are you making sure you are capping the free edge and curing them before they shrink back from the free edge?

Thickness can be an issue after a few infills through experience a new set I do 2-3 coats all fairly thin, then at infill time I really only refill the regrowth area and lightly pull gel over existing gel and making sure I recap at free edge therefore very little extra gel is going onto existing gel just a very very thin top coat if you like.

I hope this makes sense

thanks for that yes it makes sense. the gel has been lifting from all over the nail- sides, near cuticle, free edge. Perhaps some of my clients have oily nails and i need to doubly make sure they are completely dry before i apply the gel, do you think?I (think) i am pretty meticulous so its so disheartening when the lifting occurs, but there is obviously something i'm doing wrong. i've watched my calgel dvd again tonight and its helped a bit to restore my confidence!thanks for your advice.
may i ask how you do an infill for a set of nail extensions, if some of the nail tips/sculptures have cracked or broken? Would you take the whole nail off and apply a new one or repair it with silk?
i'd be glad of your advice. thanks a lot!
x

Latest posts

Back