Calgel Infills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the point is, if you soak off, rehydrate the nail. I don't soak off clients nails very often. My Calgel clients tend to stick to the same colour, but I change mine often. When ever I've soaked off I make sure they get lots of cuticle oil afterwards.

This is the part from GMG's post of the link that Sandi gave that had me ask the question......

Soaking in Acetone is going to be very dehydrating. That process is only temporary and moisture levels return to normal.

But that drying effect can start to cause problems when done frequently.

The issue isn’t so much acetone as it is with solvents in general. Solvents (in this context) are designed to remove things like enamels and product, but when they do that, they also remove oil and moisture.
When that happens, the nail plate (and skin) can become subtly damaged until they become rehydrated again. When you strip oil and moisture from the plate, you take away all of the lubrication for the keratin polymer that makes up the plate. That makes the keratin brittle and the keratin polymer chains more likely to 'snap' away from one another under duress.
Frequent use of solvents can keep the keratin overly dry and in this fragile state for great lengths of time. The longer its left in this state, the more damage can occur.

Take hand washing as an example. We all wash our hands frequently throughout the day with no problems whatsoever. When people start to wash their hands excessively (like compulsive hand washers) they begin to have lots of skin problems because they are constantly stripping all the oil and moisture from their skin. The Keratin polymer in the skin becomes too brittle and dry and can no longer hold itself together.

I guess in summary... Any solvent is fine for the plate within certain limits. When you begin to exceed those limits, then you can start to have excessive problems.

Hhhmmm

I think what we need to decide for each individual is how often is too often to soak these soakable gels off. I suppose this can vary for each client, but is there a recommended guideline?

i have a lady...been with me since i started 4 years ago.

She comes every 2 weeks religiously, she has a soak off and a new colour every time she comes.

They are in perfect condition underneath.

If i had any doubt about causing any trauma/damage to her nails i wouldn't do it !

i wouldn't say soak everyones nails EVERY time - there is no need for it....you have to gage it for yourself if its needed or if an infil will do.

I dont think there is ONE answer to this question !!

AMb x

Hi! I've been using Calgel for a few months now but infills are driving me crazy! They take me forever & never look quite as good as a new set. I was therefore thinking of soaking off & applying a new set every time client returns but not sure if I should as that's not what Calgel recommend....decisions, decisions!!

Latest posts

Back