Calgel Infills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura h

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if I could ask calgel users if they always soak off the nails when they need infills as I am finding it would probably be quicker. Can you soak off and re apply the same day as in my notes it says it needs to be done the day before due to the oils etc in the solutions that could cause lifting.

Thanks in advance
Laura

I always buff down and infill - only soak off if theres any lifting at free edge. This sometimes happens on my own right hand due to handling acetone etc on other clients. My left hand has been on since September and I just keep infilling - sometimes have to buff down if they're getting too thick. I also read that you cannot re-apply imediately after soaking, personally I haven't had a problem with this at all. If I need to soak off to change colour etc I've always re-applied straight after without any problems.

Hope this answers your question

Diane

I do with french ,but i buff down and fill in colour unless its getting thick.

thanks for the replies. Gill I presume you soak off and re apply the same day and get no probs???

Hmmm I see where you are coming from with regard to their instructions but in reality no client who needs a soak off ( even if its say to change from a dark to a light colour where you would have to ) is going to want to go away without their gel protection and return another day for an overlay - chances are their natural length would not be strong enough to last till they came back.

I dont always soak off but certainly have had no problems when I do.

just a quick question...wouldnt soaking off every visit be harmful to the natural nail..??

Hi

I use calgel and i infill on french or colour for about 3 or 4 appointments, depending on the client, then i soak off!

When i soak off i always re apply straight away and have never had any problems,and yes i think soaking off every time cant be good for the nail

Although the soak off solution isnt 100% acetone, it still has it in it, so i have found it does dry out the nails if you soak off every time!

I normally buff down but I have never experienced any lifting if I soak off and re apply.

I was however advised on my course that it is not best practice.

hth's

No no problem on re application.I soak off using foil and the calgel remover i also put oil around cuticle.It comes off so quickly when there isnt many coats on and i tend to just use clear and white.I would say its off in 10 mins.
I just find it difficult to get as nice a finish next time around the white always looks a bit thick, i suppose i should practise more rather than soaking off but it works for me.I mainly do colour anyway.

I soak off and reapply as well without any problems as most clients would not be happy to come back the next day to have the new gels done.

I do get them to give their hands a really good wash after the soak off though using a scrubbing brush to make sure all the accetone has gone before i reapply.

I normally soak off every 3 times.

thanks for all your replies. I feel happier now as even if you infill several times your going to need to soak off eventually and I was trying to work out how I was going to get the client back the next day for it!! Its just not practical.

Thanks again
Laura

Why soak off so frequently?
It isn't doing the natural nails any good by soaking off every 3rd/4th visit.

Every time enhancements are soaked off moisture and oils are stripped out of the nail plate.

Check out this thread for a bit more info... http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/534-acetone-safety.html

What do Calgel recommend (during their training) regarding soaking off of their gel?
Do they recommend soaking off quite as often?

Why soak off so frequently?
It isn't doing the natural nails any good by soaking off every 3rd/4th visit.

Every time enhancements are soaked off moisture and oils are stripped out of the nail plate.

Check out this thread for a bit more info... http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/534-acetone-safety.html

What do Calgel recommend (during their training) regarding soaking off of their gel?
Do they recommend soaking off quite as often?

the softer soakable Gels Sandi do not file down as well on infills as the harder type gels so to avoid the nails looking thick and bulky you do need to soak off occasionally. Plus if you get any lifting that needs to be removed the gel tends to tear so sometimes it is better removed and starting again with a new set.

My Bio trainer recommended that you soak off after every other infil.

This is what i was getting at too.....washing and scrubbing the nails afterwards wont undo the dehydration that has occurred by soaking. Soaking causes a temporary dehydration of the nail...thats fine...it will repair itself. But constant soaking will alway take longer for the nail to repair.

My Bio trainer recommended that you soak off after every other infil.
:eek: wow, I'm shocked... the drying effect that has on the natural nails must show itself at some point or another, do you get problems with clients nails say 3 or 4 months on by soaking off so often?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound as if I'm questioning the training and education that Bio and/or Calgel techs receive, I'm genuinely interested as to why it is recommended...

I understand what you said about the gel sometimes tearing, I've read on threads about that happening, but I assumed, probably wrongly, that it wasn't a common occurrence and that they were ok to be buffed down if you were getting thickening of product.

I know this of Bio cos i have used it....but with Calgel...?? Calgel can be filed down cant it. x

I too usually end up soaking off Bio enhancements every few infills....some clients look after their nails well they can go for several sets, but some need soaking off every couple of visits.

Calgel, for the small amount I've used it, files down better, but a lot of the reason my clients prefer to soak off is I have a lot that use colour and they often want a colour change. Although with Bio you are trained to put a layer of clear under the colour, so thyeoretically you could buff down to this, whereas with Calgel, I believe you are trained to put colour straight on the natural nail (please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not Calgel trained, that was just from a conversation with their rep at an exihibition)

It does seem to be that Bio as it has a slightly more rubbery and rip-able (is that a word?) nature than other soak-offs (albeit the spongefiles are great with Bio and if you use them it does't rip at all), but in all honesty it soaks off so nice and quick that the nails are not only unaffected, but most are actually in lovely condition..

To be honest I'm such a lazy devil that i never buff my own down and pretty much always soak off - and I get bored quickly, so my nails are usually removed every couple of weeks and honestly they've never been in better condition.

i think it does require clients do ensure the do their aftercare for real tip top condition, but then all systems do.

PERSONAL PREFERENCE:D

I have some clients that for instance smoke....calgel..may prob be discoloured come infill time..i'd soak it..by the time i've wrapped up every finger and gone back to the first nail its ready to come off ( if you work thin in the first place)

Some peeps 5 -6 infills - dont need a new set.

Colour.....i only ever do ONE infil....sometimes i soak every set as by the time i've filed....and they want a different colour anyway its easier to soak off.

The more experienced you get the more you'll ACESS the nails and think....yep they are ok to file or NOPE i may as well soak em off and start fresh.

Its no sweat really to soak them off - unless you have LOADS of layers - just make sure you file well first ( i use a 180 grit) and break the seal wrap up in foil as i say by the time the last finger is wrapped - start at the first nail to ease the dissolved product off.

hth

amb xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
just read back through the threads....

question...............

what causes most damage....soaking off the nails or

Filing them down thin to re apply?

Soaking off causes temporary de hydration yes but filing could potentially cause damage too / de railing of the nail plate - horses for courses !

I use both and do both!

Amb x

I used to soak off Bio and Calgel each time and I did notice that the nail got a bit fragile over time. My own nails became a bit thin because I was changing the colour more often than every 3 weeks. However, I find it very difficult to file either down properly (Bio is the more challenging, as said).

When I tried a buff off I was so pleased with its file-a-bility! It really does looks like a brand new overlay after a rebalance.

Latest posts

Back