Calgel removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendynailedit

Reaction score
Hi geeks. I hope someone can help. I had a new client in last week who has been having calgel on her nails for years (at another salon). She has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and was going in for surgery. As her usual salon is a long way away, she came to me just to have her calgel removed.

Before she came, I did some research to check how to remove it, and buffed the surface and wrapped in d-solve soaked cotton wool and foil, as directed. It took an hour and a half to remove! It just didn't lift off like I expected it to! She had, had them infilled 3 times, so they were quite thick on half of the nail, but still...an hour and a half?!

I'm just interested to know what I did wrong, just in case I ever have to do this again! I seem to have problems with removal of Gelish too (and sometimes Shellac!) so I'm clearly going wrong somewhere!

Any advice would be great!

Thanks! Xxx

hi hun, i do bio sculpture which is similar to calgel, usually its around 20 mins plus add 5 mins or so for each infill but saying that if a client has very dry nails then can be longer,

when you are buffing top coat are you using a hard enough grit??xx

Hi,

My auntie had cal gel on hands and toes, I only had bio gel remover and like u it was a nightmare to remove. I buffed with a harsh file, soaked off like u, which softened the gel, but didn't lift the gel. I had to scrape it off, each nail-it did come off that way but it was quite rubberery and tough.

I think it took me about an hour and half for hands and toes! Xx

hi hun, i do bio sculpture which is similar to calgel, usually its around 20 mins plus add 5 mins or so for each infill but saying that if a client has very dry nails then can be longer,

when you are buffing top coat are you using a hard enough grit??xx

The freshly applied part (she'd only had them redone the week before) wasn't too bad, but the infill was horrendous! I used a 180 to start with and switched to 240 because I was getting close to her nail. How much do you need to file off?! Xxx

Hi,

My auntie had cal gel on hands and toes, I only had bio gel remover and like u it was a nightmare to remove. I buffed with a harsh file, soaked off like u, which softened the gel, but didn't lift the gel. I had to scrape it off, each nail-it did come off that way but it was quite rubberery and tough.

I think it took me about an hour and half for hands and toes! Xx

That's exactly what it was like! Rubber! Maybe you need the specific remover? I always thought d-solve was ok for anything in place of acetone? Xxx

with bio u only need to buff slightly the top layer then soak....did you try haeted mitts, that generally does the trick or if you havent got any a hot water bottle or any kind of heat,it helps to accelerate removal,

with bio u only need to buff slightly the top layer then soak....did you try haeted mitts, that generally does the trick or if you havent got any a hot water bottle or any kind of heat,it helps to accelerate removal,

Yep...had her hands in heated mitts or 15 mins. Just can't understand what I'm doing wrong...xxx

if they werent nails you had done dont worry about it! i had client a few weeks ago and took me over an hour to remove hers,

id say most makes take around 30 mins incl putting remover,foils etc on x

if they werent nails you had done dont worry about it! i had client a few weeks ago and took me over an hour to remove hers,

id say most makes take around 30 mins incl putting remover,foils etc on x

Thanks souz. Thing is I have a similar problem with Gelish! And that's on ones I've put on, so when this happened it made me think it's something to do with my removal technique. X

If this lady had had 3 infills & they were thick then YES soak off would have been tricky.
I can only say that it would be best to file & take off the excess gel before wrapping. If her nails were dehydrated then the process would have took longer. (I have swapped to Dsolve so know that it definately removes Bio Sculpture more than adequately).

Also noteworthy is that I also had to remove somebody elses Bio Sculpture & apparently the other nail technicians was using primer too, so this resulted in the gels being extra difficult to remove...

If this lady had had 3 infills & they were thick then YES soak off would have been tricky.
I can only say that it would be best to file & take off the excess gel before wrapping. If her nails were dehydrated then the process would have took longer. (I have swapped to Dsolve so know that it definately removes Bio Sculpture more than adequately).

Also noteworthy is that I also had to remove somebody elses Bio Sculpture & apparently the other nail technicians was using primer too, so this resulted in the gels being extra difficult to remove...

Thanks sleeping beauty

Yes, under most of my Gelish clients I've been using protein bond on the tips, so could this be the problem? X

Latest posts

Back