calgel wiping off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
hi all, i collected my calgel kit yesterday! BUT i'm having a complete mare with it wiping off around the cutical and sidewalls after my last 3 min cure, i've tried applying it thinner and thicker but it still happens??? :irked: i,m doing a good prep and have even tried extending the curing time, i'm using my 36 watt lamp which is only a couple of months old ( that i bought NEW from ebay) and have never had this prob with akzentz, i spoke to tara at calgel and she said this prob is quite commom with the red thats in the pack but the pink 03 that i bought extra ( matches an older clients lippy!) should be fine any suggestions ? PLEASE! :cry:

cant you apply a layer of clear over the top to seal it.

i asked that and althogh she said i could it shouldnt be needed ? i'm really getted because its such a lovely gel to work with.

I dont do Calgel but do Bio Sculpture and I always apply a layer of clear after the colour layers.

I always do a layer of clear after doing a colour overlay. I was told to do this on my Calgel training as it saves any problems with wiping the colour off.

No technically if you have done everything properly you shouldn't need to but I do it to be a secure measure.

HTH's

It does happen occassionaly with number 18 but haven't had it happen with others unless the bulb is about to go in the lamp. Also, i do put a thin layer of clear gel on before wiping even though you don't have to as i think it gives a better shine and you don't lose any colour.

Yep me too - always do a clear layer before wiping although if I do wipe it doesnt seem to come off .................................could be that I havent tried that particular red. Have you applied the gel too thickly and therefore not cured through fully do you think ? Were the fingers flat in the lamp and not on one side or anything like that ?

Other thought, is your lamp ok ? Are the bulbs definately ok ? Have you got 4 x 36 watt bulbs ?

Dont lose heart, try with the clear over the top. Let us know how you go on.

If you are extending the cure time and yet still having a problem, I would say it is your lamp. You should not have to put clear gel over colour. All colour gel needs is a high gloss top coat.

Even though you never had problems with your lamp and Akzents (I am not familiar with Akzents, however), I would put the problem down to your lamp. Is it a Calgel lamp? Is it a lamp by a reputable company? Could it be that the bulbs need changing? Try changing your bulbs and see if this makes a difference.

hi, thanks for so many fast replys :hug: i have just had another attempt with the 03 and 18... thin clear, cure, colour, cure colour, cure, coat of clear, wipe and like magic no wiping off from cutical or sidewall ! (and it's a good strenghtner on my very weak nails !) :lol: i love this site !

Now heres a coincidence.I have just done a set of nails on fortunately a friend more than a client she had number 18 and i have had exactly the same trouble.
I know that my bulbs are coming up to about 9 months although not continuous use.
I am going to go to Calgel tomorrow and pick up some more.Im sure this is my problem as never had this happen before.Im just glad it wasnt on a new client.

oooh i'd be reeally interested to hear what differance it makes !

oooh i'd be reeally interested to hear what differance it makes !

you can test you lamp bulbs. Just put a blob of colour gel onto a nail form and cure for 3 minutes. Then lift off the gel and check on the underside. If it is still quite wet then you need to change your bulbs.

are you giving the gel a proper stir before use. if you dont, you may not have the right balance of ingredients in your application to fully cure.

thats a good idea for testing lamps! yes definatly stiring enough, i think using a clear base and a clear top coat seems to do the trick, i just like things to do what i want them to do ! ( like not needing to use a clear with a colour)

glad to hear ther coat of clear has done the trick. x

thats a good idea for testing lamps! yes definatly stiring enough, i think using a clear base and a clear top coat seems to do the trick, i just like things to do what i want them to do ! ( like not needing to use a clear with a colour)

When I did my training I was told a clear base was not necessary under colour.

what about using it as a final top coat layer ? i do my convertion in jan but i'v got a client that i wanted to use calgel on on thursday

Just to confirm what has already been said, my trainer stressed over and over:
never swipe colour until you've cured a layer of clear overtop - never!

She said it over and over!!!

I do a clear overtop, then swipe and have never had a problem with any Calgel colour.

Looks like that has solved your problem. x

Just to confirm what has already been said, my trainer stressed over and over:
never swipe colour until you've cured a layer of clear overtop - never!

She said it over and over!!!

I do a clear overtop, then swipe and have never had a problem with any Calgel colour.

Looks like that has solved your problem. x

This is exactly what I was told. Also told that it is a particular problem with No. 18. I therefore always finish with a clear layer.

thats what i'm gonna do then ! i got myself in a right pickle over it, i watched the dvd again to see if they show a clear being used before the final cure but unless i missed something (which is quite possible!) i just saw the two coats of colour ?

Latest posts

Back