Calling all dog whisperers... Need your help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g5m_sh

Reaction score
Hi Geeky dog lovers...

I have a problem with my oldest dog Sniff (18month Jack Russell) since i have getting Scratch the new pup (also a JR now about 13weeks) he barks at people in the street, even if they don't have another dog with them...

Its getting slightly embarrassing, and nearly got me into a punch up with some random bloke a few weeks ago, telling me to 'get that effin dog under control' Now, he is under control, and he's not aggressive with it, he just barks!!

I don't know if he thinks he's trying to protect the pup, or what. I need to stop him from doing it, or the pup will think its the thing to do and he will do it as well.

I got him one of them barking collors, that make a high beep that only the dog can hear, but its too big to fit over his adams apple, as he's only got a little neck, so when he barks the vibrations are not making the thing beep!!!

Any suggestions??

Thanks xx

Hi Gem

Have you tried taking Sniff out for a walk without Scratch to see if he still barks?? If he doesn't bark, then it sounds like he is protecting Scratch.

What I suggest you do is start (the sooner the better) taking both your dogs to weekly training classes...there will more than likely be classes in your area and they are usually inexpensive but prove very valuable!....

In my experience I find small dogs can often be harder to handle then large dogs in a lot of cases...jack russels in particularly can be feisty and tend to be highly protective of their world ( that includes you, your house, your furniture, food, toys, other pets and so on ) when Sniff is barking at people he is telling them to go away! that behaviour is being reinforced by the fact that in his eyes...he sees a person coming....he barks...they go past....so therefore in sniffs eyes...he has done a good job ( the barking worked because that person went away!)

He maybe protecting the new pup and he maybe protecting you as well...or both! whatever...hes decided that is his job...you will probably find that progressively he will protect more and more...people coming to the house (the postman)....then visitors...toys...food...you! etc
You must make it clear to him that YOU are the protector...the boss...he will benefit from training on walks without the pup present to start with and eventually with the pup...like I say the best thing you can do is take him and the other pup to training classes...I cant emphasise this enough, hth a bit x

And with regards to the collar...this is negative punishment...its ok but I wouldnt use it until I had exhausted the use of positive reinforcement....so for example....alot of dogs will be motivated with food so if he has a favourite treat...when you walk him....when you see someone approach (at the moment before he starts to bark)...distract him....say his name and show him the treat...keep his attention with the treat until the person has gone past....praise hin for being quiet! Theres lots of things you can try.

Last edited:
What I suggest you do is start (the sooner the better) taking both your dogs to weekly training classes...there will more than likely be classes in your area and they are usually inexpensive but prove very valuable!....

In my experience I find small dogs can often be harder to handle then large dogs in a lot of cases...jack russels in particularly can be feisty and tend to be highly protective of their world ( that includes you, your house, your furniture, food, toys, other pets and so on ) when Sniff is barking at people he is telling them to go away! that behaviour is being reinforced by the fact that in his eyes...he sees a person coming....he barks...they go past....so therefore in sniffs eyes...he has done a good job ( the barking worked because that person went away!)

He maybe protecting the new pup and he maybe protecting you as well...or both! whatever...hes decided that is his job...you will probably find that progressively he will protect more and more...people coming to the house (the postman)....then visitors...toys...food...you! etc
You must make it clear to him that YOU are the protector...the boss...he will benefit from training on walks without the pup present to start with and eventually with the pup...like I say the best thing you can do is take him and the other pup to training classes...I cant emphasise this enough, hth a bit x

And with regards to the collar...this is negative punishment...its ok but I wouldnt use it until I had exhausted the use of positive reinforcement....so for example....alot of dogs will be motivated with food so if he has a favourite treat...when you walk him....when you see someone approach (at the moment before he starts to bark)...distract him....say his name and show him the treat...keep his attention with the treat until the person has gone past....praise hin for being quiet! Theres lots of things you can try.

Thanks Anna, thats been really helpful. We do have a class thats runs every week, i think its only £1 or something. Before i didnt have time do take him, but i do now so might start this week.

Your right, he is getting worse...

Helen i tried taking him out on his own yesterday and he still barked!! But it has just started since having the pup. So don't know if he's just used to barking!

Thanks for your help. xxx

A pound is ridiculously cheap for the sake of a peaceful life...nice walks and an all-round sociacle pup...providing the trainer is good of course....as with everything dont just go on price...question her to find out what sort of background and experience she has etc...it will be obvious if she knows what shes talking about!

I just stick to labs...much easier :lol:..they just eat everything instead lol :green:

Let us know how you get on!

Have you tried carrying a spray bottle with water in it? Just spray him everytime he barks, this help me when training my dog.

Go to this site pet place - - put it straight into dogs barking for you - but this a really fab site

Article Search Results - PetPlace.com

Yeah my lab has just nicked a pink lady apple from my fruit bowl the little sod!!!

Have you tried carrying a spray bottle with water in it? Just spray him everytime he barks, this help me when training my dog.

Yeah thats what i do in the house, but didnt think of taking it out with me.

Go to this site pet place - - put it straight into dogs barking for you - but this a really fab site

Article Search Results - PetPlace.com

Yeah my lab has just nicked a pink lady apple from my fruit bowl the little sod!!!

Thanks Paula, i will have a look now. xxx

Hi Geeky dog lovers...

I have a problem with my oldest dog Sniff (18month Jack Russell) since i have getting Scratch the new pup (also a JR now about 13weeks) he barks at people in the street, even if they don't have another dog with them...

Its getting slightly embarrassing, and nearly got me into a punch up with some random bloke a few weeks ago, telling me to 'get that effin dog under control' Now, he is under control, and he's not aggressive with it, he just barks!!

I don't know if he thinks he's trying to protect the pup, or what. I need to stop him from doing it, or the pup will think its the thing to do and he will do it as well.

I got him one of them barking collors, that make a high beep that only the dog can hear, but its too big to fit over his adams apple, as he's only got a little neck, so when he barks the vibrations are not making the thing beep!!!

Any suggestions??

Thanks xx
Hi . I have a few sugestions hun I do feel your pain :cry:, buts its nothing that cant be sorted.First of all get rid of the collor sniff will see it as a punishment , you need to get him out of the habit of barking and the collar is not the answer ,if you got it from a pet shop or vet you should be able to return it and get full refund .
A few things to try :

x take them both to doggy socializing classes this will help them both get used to other people and dogs in a controlled enviroment.

x if sniff is male castration will make a huge difference ,if you dont fancy the surgical options .your vet can place a implant under his skin , it works the same as a proper castration but needs to be done every six months.

x take sniffs favourite toy / titbit on the walk and use it as a distraction , so when you see someone walking towards you make yourself more interesting than them with his toy.

x you need to relax , i know this is hard cause you know when you see someone its going to happen but sniff can feel you tense up and will 9 times out of 10 bark at the random strangers coming towards you to protect you cause he can feel you tense and he thinks its cause of them you tense & thats his job.SO TRY TO RELAX :lol:

AT THE END OF THE DAY DOGGIE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND ITS ONLY PEOPLE WITHOUT WHO MAKE US FEEL BAD BOUT OUR FURRY CHILDREN .WEVE ALL BEEN THERE :!::!: KEEP SMILING HUN :)XXXX

Hi . I have a few sugestions hun I do feel your pain :cry:, buts its nothing that cant be sorted.First of all get rid of the collor sniff will see it as a punishment , you need to get him out of the habit of barking and the collar is not the answer ,if you got it from a pet shop or vet you should be able to return it and get full refund .
A few things to try :

x take them both to doggy socializing classes this will help them both get used to other people and dogs in a controlled enviroment.

I am going to take them both this week, although, we are a doggy family, so they get to see loads of people, and different dog's every day. I normaly walk Sniff with my Mam and my Aunties and there will be 6-9 dogs out with us. He also goes out with my younger bro shooting, along with another bunch of dogs. So its not like he's not used to seeing other people or dogs.

x if sniff is male castration will make a huge difference ,if you dont fancy the surgical options .your vet can place a implant under his skin , it works the same as a proper castration but needs to be done every six months.

I have thought about this lots, but he's such a lovely little dog, and dont want him to turn into a grumpy old fart after he's had it done... i didn't know about the implants, i will look into it.

x take sniffs favourite toy / titbit on the walk and use it as a distraction , so when you see someone walking towards you make yourself more interesting than them with his toy.

I always take treats out with me, but he's not a greedy dog, so he's not bothered by them. I will have to start carrying chicken about with me... NICE!!

x you need to relax , i know this is hard cause you know when you see someone its going to happen but sniff can feel you tense up and will 9 times out of 10 bark at the random strangers coming towards you to protect you cause he can feel you tense and he thinks its cause of them you tense & thats his job.SO TRY TO RELAX :lol:

I am always very calm when we approach other people or dogs, as i know that some times the tension of me pulling on the leader can make him worse. But it must be when he pulls forward to bark, i yank back and thats what must cause it.

AT THE END OF THE DAY DOGGIE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND ITS ONLY PEOPLE WITHOUT WHO MAKE US FEEL BAD BOUT OUR FURRY CHILDREN .WEVE ALL BEEN THERE :!::!: KEEP SMILING HUN :)XXXX

I love it when we walk past a dog thats barked before him, so i dont look so much of a tool. hahahaha...

Thanks every one for your help, i am def gonna looking into everything what people have said!!

THANKS xxxx

I love it when we walk past a dog thats barked before him, so i dont look so much of a tool. hahahaha...

Thanks every one for your help, i am def gonna looking into everything what people have said!!

THANKS xxxx

the implants are awesome i show both my male samoyeds and they have totally calmed down since them .

A halti is a fab piece of dog walking kit . stops them pulling so you have total control (when you have dogs like mine is an awesome feeling:lol:)I can totally recomend .xxxxxxxx

Does it work in the house when you spray him?

As DivaDeva says try to relax, chances are you are transmitting anxiety down the lead, your dog will interpret this as you being scared so he thinks he needs to protect you. Its a vicious circle you see a problem in the distance, start getting anxious and he reacts by protecting you. I think you would definately benefit from training classes, maybe even a couple of one to ones. The worst thing you could do is to leave it as you may end up getting more and more anxious and this could result in stressfull walks with your dog. hope that helps :)

Latest posts

Back