Calling all geeks - advice needed for a reader

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathryn

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just had this letter in from a reader and wanted to publish it, along with some words of wisdom from you guys, in the July issue of Professional Nails.

Any chance some of you could respond to help Maxine? See below.

Thanks all

Kat
xxx
Deputy Ed
Professional Nails
E: [email protected]

Hi. I would like advice regarding the old non standard salon issue. I have been in the nail industry for eight years and have had a tanning shop open three doors away from me. She has now started doing nails after doing a one day course. She offers a full set at £19.00 and I have had a large banner placed above my own salon to advertise that I am fully qualified. She has now decided to copy me and has put ads in our local papers to say she to is fully qualified when she is not. What can I do to stop her making the good salons look bad? I have contacted trading standards who said if I can give them evidence to support my complaint they mad do her for false advertising. I wish they would hurry and bring in legislation, but in the meantime, what can I do?

Surley if she has done a one day course then trading standards cant really do a lot (can they???) if she is abiding within the limits of that qualification???

the issue of what constitutes being 'qualified' is a blurred one that is usually lost on the general public. however, you have experience on your side. i know that i would much rather be treated by a technician with 8 years experience than one who is a novice.i think the answer in this case may be to raise awareness of the level of skill you have developed over the years.you could start by taking some photographs of your work and displaying them with your service menu in the shop window. also perhaps you could consider displaying testimonials from satisfied customers.

As has been said on lots of messages, this is a problem which may or may not be dealt with, with legislation - we will have to wait and see on that one. When compared to legislation to do with wars etc. as a very wise lady has said - Nail legislation is fairly far down the list.

We should be looking at improving our own standards within the nail industry and eventually hopefully the untrained, poor technicians will disappear.

In the meantime you can help yourself by educating your clients into what to expect from a great technician. You have experience and education on your side and this will hold you in good stead.

Don't spend time, effort and money on worrying about what others are doing - concentrate on making sure your business is as good as it can be.

Good luck with your business and don't fret - it just gives you wrinkles LOL.

I think you will gain lots and lots of customers for your salon from this shop and this persons' 'bad' work will send customers scampering to your door.

Stop stressing ... raise your standards even higher and show that you and your service is worth paying for. Make a ceremony of doing everything this person doesn't do. No good sanitizing everything when your customers aren't there to see it. Do it in their face so they know what you are doing. Add a few small touches to your service that don't cost you anything but that place you apart from the rest, like a small massage with a beautiful hand lotion to complete the service ... serve a variety of beverages including juices or more exotic teas etc.

Women LOVE nails. A bad operator will not put them 'off'. Women will search out another technician who is better, if they are not satisfied, and the fact that you are next door is a bonus to you because they won't have to go far now will they? You should not be worried.

Bad technicians are not a new phenominon. They've come (and gone) for 20 years and the industry is still growing.

How many diabolical hairdressers do you know who run sucessful businesses? Not for long. Where is the difference? HAVE WE ALL STOPPED HAVING OUR HAIR DONE BECAUSE OF A FEW BAD OPERATORS? Does the whole reputation of hairdressers stink because there are plenty of bad ones about? NO. And neither will one bad operator spoil your reputation.

Ignore the person. My advice to you would be the same if this girl was a great technician ... make yourself greater!

I once read a story about a simillar situation, the way the experienced tech dealed with the situation was very amusing. She simply put an add up saying "We fix £19 sets" ...

Prionace said:
I once read a story about a simillar situation, the way the experienced tech dealed with the situation was very amusing. She simply put an add up saying "We fix £19 sets" ...
What a brilliant idea!! Don't think I'd have the guts to put something up in my window like that tho!

Kathryn said:
Hi all

I've just had this letter in from a reader and wanted to publish it, along with some words of wisdom from you guys, in the July issue of Professional Nails.

Any chance some of you could respond to help Maxine? See below.

Thanks all

Kat
xxx
Deputy Ed
Professional Nails
E: [email protected]

Hi. I would like advice regarding the old non standard salon issue. I have been in the nail industry for eight years and have had a tanning shop open three doors away from me. She has now started doing nails after doing a one day course. She offers a full set at £19.00 and I have had a large banner placed above my own salon to advertise that I am fully qualified. She has now decided to copy me and has put ads in our local papers to say she to is fully qualified when she is not. What can I do to stop her making the good salons look bad? I have contacted trading standards who said if I can give them evidence to support my complaint they mad do her for false advertising. I wish they would hurry and bring in legislation, but in the meantime, what can I do?
My advice would be...............
Do only one thing................Uphold your standards and even raise them, continue giving the best of your service.

The public isn't stupid nor do they like wasting money on bad service......
Now I am not saying that the new Technician next door is terrible, but she is lacking experience..........and that will show, specially after only having done a one day course...........

Never bad mouth the Technician next door............This will make you the bad guy and it is unprofessional.............
Just think of it as a bonus....she advertises, she raises public awareness, but it's you that has the upper hand, you have 8 years of experience, 8 years more then she has got......You have nothing to proof, she has, she is the new Technician on the block remember how that felt????...........
I personally would and I have done this, introduce myself, wish her luck and be the nice guy here!!!!! And let your work speak for it's self !!!!!!

As for being qualified, as far as the law stands, if she has taken a course, no matter how short this was and she has received a recognised industry certificate, holds a valid insurance certificate, then she is qualified and legal..............
The only time you could complain about here would be via an unhappy client, a client who has received a bad service and called you in as an industry expert to assess any personal damage.............

So good luck and remember it's nice to be important, but it's more important being nice!!!!!

Surely, if we make too much fuss about techs who have only completed short courses, then all of us who trained with Creative for example will be classed as unqualified. I know a lot of NVQ techs who laugh at how short Creative courses are yet their nails are awful. It's my experience that it doesn't matter how long the course lasted, it's all down to the integrity of the tech and experience which only comes with the more clients or models we have.

In my opinion what makes a person good at what they do takes alot of PRACTICE.

The more nails that are done your own standard goes up.

Dont be too worried about the other, yes there will be a lot of custom her way due to the price. But one thing is for sure if her standards are not up to scratch the custom will go elsewere - YOU.

l for one always wonder why certain things are so cheap, when you know what level of skill and knowledge is needed for nail services.

Be the best you can be and professional you never dog another tech, not good ethics.

let the clients be the judges. ;)

I agree with all of the comments made..... It is true that the Creative courses are short, but having gone down each of the routes.... eg. a one day course, NVQ and learned with Creative, I would certainly say my best experience has come from my Creative learning along with the teaching I received from other more experienced Techs early on.... I am now proud of my nails... and the fact that people miles away often recognise my nails!

Had I simply stuck to my one day course and taken my learning no further, I would have given up long ago....... My first complaint was my turning point. And I'm sure when the new technician receives her first proper complaint, she will find herself, either learning more or giving up!!!
Don't worry about the things you can't change.... I also think that the idea of a sign saying you fix £19 sets is quite a comical one... might work!

Kimmi Rocks said:
Surely, if we make too much fuss about techs who have only completed short courses, then all of us who trained with Creative for example will be classed as unqualified. I know a lot of NVQ techs who laugh at how short Creative courses are yet their nails are awful. It's my experience that it doesn't matter how long the course lasted, it's all down to the integrity of the tech and experience which only comes with the more clients or models we have.

If she's qualified she will have a certificate but remember just becauase you hold a certificate doesn't mean you are worthy of it... but I reaaly wouldn't let this worry you - if she is as bad as you beleive they will soon come running to you to sort out the problems. YOu cant start a war and you must becareful of what you say to your customers keep professional you dont want to be slapped with a liable case. Plus it takes to far much energy worry about other people when you have your own business to worry about and i would imagine after not very long you will be even busier if your assumptions are right!!!

Louise
Nails by Louise

I think everyone has said it all, so dont worry, your nails and the service you offer will speak for itself.

Kathryn, (ello honey!) The only advice i can add, is that if any customer comes in complaining about any other poor standard of service, remain professional, dont moan about them, and tactfully suggest they contact trading standards at their local council. If they get enough complaints, then they will have to go and check them out. This is the safest and most professional way to shift the cowboys!

You could also contact your local newspaper, ask them to write an un-biased feature, giving advice to customers who have, or who are thinking of having their nails done, giving them professional advice on what to look for in a quality nail tech. (ie clean desk/uniform, non-mma, good consultation and aftercare, quality of service etc). We did this when we opened our salon and displayed the article in the shop window, got lots of new clients!

Give the girl a chance .

Everyone was a newbie or novice when they started even the lady who sent the letter was the same 8 years ago .

The girl may have only a one day course and then many months of practice and having education after books videos internet maybe she even looks at the education on this web site or maybe she has a tech friend who is very very good that teaches her .

She is making sets of nails for 19.00 because she is new and she wants to have customers and not lose money in her shop .

She is doing what many educators advise on this web site to start a bit cheaper and move your prices up when you have more experience and have more customers .

In the origional letter there was no talk about mma or bad service from reading it 2 times i can only see that the lady has a problem that a girl is working cheaper and she now has some competition .

Good luck to the newbie novice practice study hard and i hope she builds a good buissness and can then make a full book and put her prices up a little bit .

Competition is healthy and the girls nails can not be bad or the customers would not go back if they are bad this lady waving her certificates does not have a problem this letter i read that she has a problem with another salon opening and the price is cheaper .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back