Calling all make-up artists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty_sarah

Reaction score
hey all,

starting a new job tomorrow and they provide makeup. i havent done this since college so im in need of some help.
i have my old folder out and making some notes and wil be watching youtube till my eyes fall out lol but i need some books to help me too and was hoping you could point me in the right direction to which books are the best.

i need a book on evening makeup, special occassion and wedding as the salon does mostly these.

thank you in advance for your help
sarah xxxx

The bobbi brown makeup manual is really good. X

I'd get the Bobbi Brown one too. X

I would personally avoid any Bobbi Brown book like the plague!

Nothing beats hands on experience. If you're not feeling confident because it's been a while you should practice on as many people as possible. Do you have some friends or family that might be willing to let you use them as a practice model? That was you get to try things out on different skin types, tones, ages etc.

I have a couple of Kevyn Aucoin's books and they are fabulous. They're out of print now though so you'll have to check amazon marketplace / ebay.

However, I do a book is tricky to learn from. Youtube videos are better. Look up Pixiwoo if you haven't already, their tutorials are excellent.

Hopefully your new salon might give you some extra training if you're not very confident.

Otherwise just practice loads. Get your friends/relatives/neighbours etc round and practice on them, and do you friends' make up for nights out etc. Especially putting on strip lashes / eyeliner etc, which are some of the trickier parts of occasion and bridal make up.

I have a couple of Kevyn Aucoin's books and they are fabulous. They're out of print now though so you'll have to check amazon marketplace

I absolutely love Kevyn Aucoin too, not only his makeup but his life story too,amazing!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

I absolutely love Kevyn Aucoin too, not only his makeup but his life story too,amazing!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek
Me too, he was truly inspiring and an amazing talent.

Thanx girls, I was told about kevyn in college so I'll get some of his and I'll Defo try you tube x

Another vote for Kevyn Aucoin and check out tutorials on YouTube for inspiration- Pixiwoo, Lisa Eldridge are good ones to watch :) x

Latest posts

Back