Calling all newbie waxers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetyrex

Reaction score
I trained to wax the old way, spatula to pot, dipping in and out! Not very hygienic but that's how we used to learn how to do it!
I haven't waxed for a couple of years on clients, only friends so I'd like to know your tips on new ways of waxing.
I've heard some people using metal spatulas so you can spread wax over a bigger area with wax and wipe clean.
I've been told about the drizzling spatula to spatula way?!
What do you all do with warm waxing I a pot?
Thanks x

Hello I just use a wooden spatula and never double dip anywhere. Especially not on bikini or underarms.

I use a metal spat for legs and larger areas but if I need to go over any area twice I will use a new spatula.

You will get all different answers to this one.

I was always told that double dipping was fine. I always thought other wise. I only really use my wax pot for smaller areas such as eyebrows and lip or chin, so a new spatula everytime.

Otherwise everywhere else gets used with a roller.

I trained to wax the old way, spatula to pot, dipping in and out! Not very hygienic but that's how we used to learn how to do it!
I haven't waxed for a couple of years on clients, only friends so I'd like to know your tips on new ways of waxing.
I've heard some people using metal spatulas so you can spread wax over a bigger area with wax and wipe clean.
I've been told about the drizzling spatula to spatula way?!
What do you all do with warm waxing I a pot?
Thanks x

i was taught there was nothing wrong with double dipping and have even heard so from many well known names in the industry, i use wooden spatulas and i double dip only on legs but if they bleed or anything (obviously from coarse hair not me ripping skin :green: ) i don't double dip and use a new spatula everytime. new spatula every time for bikini, underarm, chest and back. anything on the face i only need to dip once so the double dipping rule doesn't apply :p

everyone on SG has different opinions, depending on where you are in the world and your training :)

I know there's loads of opinions on this. Woul love to know what you all do an how you were trained. I'm interested in all the different ways we get trained!

I was trained that double dipping was fine, although when I qualified I bought Australian bodycare hy wax to eliminate this problem as you use disposable heads for each client.

same as that and i always use a touch of talc on underarms and bikini. makes waxing there very easy. i think that may be changed now though as i see on a lot of posts that waxers are using a touch of oil.

I have recently done my wax training and was taught that double dipping was fine apart from bikini and armpit unless spots if blood, i guess every training different, also use wooden spatulas x

I was also taught double dipping is a no no on bikini and underarms but everywhere else ok. I was taught to use talc to protect the skin but find a very light layer of oil better.

same as that and i always use a touch of talc on underarms and bikini. makes waxing there very easy. i think that may be changed now though as i see on a lot of posts that waxers are using a touch of oil.

yes i use talc. never heard of oil!!

Hot wax for all intimate waxing
Roller wax for legs arms backs chests and backsides
Hypo-allergenic warm wax for all facial waxing
Tea tree warm wax for little bits and pieces
Thin slick of oil laid down before applying wax in most areas

Jacqui xx

I've never used oil either... what oil do u use as I would like to give it a try? I guess u could use it on any area? Thanks :)

I was taught not to double dip. Sometimes I do forget but then I throw the rest of the wax pot away. Total waste of money so I try my best not to forget! Unless im near the end of the pot & doing several areas on one person, I dip & dip again to my hearts content & then bin it.

I use disposable wooden spats for all hot wax and don't double dip.

I use a large metal spat on all strip waxing and do double dip as I apply the wax on large areas. HOWEVER!…….if I had to re-apply more wax on stray hairs (I don't because I use the wax already on my strip) I would use a wooden spat and throw it.

I always use a new spatula for different areas of a client, I double dip also. I haven't tried using alc, do you just sprinkle a small amount on the bikini and underarm area or put some on a cotton wool pad and wipe on. Do you do this for every client or just ones that perspire more? Sorry for all the questions I'm just always looking for ways to improve !

I always use a new spatula for different areas of a client, I double dip also. I haven't tried using alc, do you just sprinkle a small amount on the bikini and underarm area or put some on a cotton wool pad and wipe on. Do you do this for every client or just ones that perspire more? Sorry for all the questions I'm just always looking for ways to improve !

It's good for clients who do perspire but I tend to use it on all areas I'm waxing. I. Personally apply it with a cotton pad then wax over it. I find it makes the hair come out easier especially in tricky areas.

I've been taught double dipping is fine but my tutor told us to use cornflower not talc x

Just reading up about the whole double dipping thing as was talking this through with a friend tonight. I was taught to double dip unless their is blood apart from on bikini line, however, what about MRSA and the threat of cross contamination from this. According to my friend, who is a registered nurse, this is a skin borne disease not blood borne, so does this change the whole double dipping scenario?

I'm not a waxer but I know a bit about bacteria (wow that sounds dorky).

One thing to consider is how hot your wax is. Bacteria that live on skin usually 'like' temperatures of about 34c (i.e. skin temperature).

If they are in an environment that they are not adapted for (e.g. far too hot) their enzymes (needed for biological processes like making cell walls and such) will denature and stop working, which may ultimately lead to the cell's death.

So it all depends on the bacteria type and how hot your wax has been and for how long (helpful, I know).

Just to note we all have millions of bacteria on our skin and the majority of the time it does us no harm. It's only if it gets into the body some how (maybe through one of these 'blood spots you're talking about?) that it could cause an issue (think Strep throat). So personally, if I was a waxer and there was blood spots, I would NOT rewax the blood spots. Or wax over any cuts or grazes. Also, be careful around the mucus membranes!

Also, I assume nobody waxes anybody with an infectious skin disease?

Hope some of this might help you!

Where I live ts against the law to double dip. I always use disposable wooden spatulas, use one end wrap in half a tissue or square of toilet paper and use the other end then straight in the bin. This applies for both hot and strip wax and all parts of the body. It really depends where you live. But as this is how I trained and believe it to be best practise, even if I moved interstate, I would still use the same method. Use whatever method is acceptable for both you and your clients.

Latest posts

Back