Calling all newbies out there....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moanie

Reaction score
I am a new nail tech, I work hard & practice hard.
My confidence gets knocked and knocked but I make myself keep going. I am going to produce a good set of nails that I am proud of 1 day no matter what people think, say or do! I qualified in Nov 05 with Creative. I use the word Qualified loosely, like passing your driving test, your are still learning for quit a long time after.

The point of this thread is to get some feed back from new nail techs like me.
How do you feel when a client sits watching your every brush stroke? What goes through your mind when they are looking - no, inspecting their left hand while you are working on their right hand?
When you are asked how busy you are, do you lie,sorry, are you echonomicle with the truth?
Do you act more confident than you really are?
Do you feel that your training was enough, was it value for money?
Do you feel like you can go back to your educators for support without being made to feel like a neusence?
If you have never posted before, make this your first one. would love to here from you and get some good honest feed back.

Hi Flossy!

I am also fairly new at this. Trained with creative in sept 05, have only really been doing friends since, and am now looking to go self-employed/mobile in the near future. All I can say is that the more you do it the better you get. Everytime I learn something new, and maybe even make new mistakes, but as long as you take these on board and learn from them then you can only improve.

Do not worry about people watching you, just get your head down (as someone else on here said - learn to talk to your clients' nails intead of their face - it will save you tons of time) and do the best you can each time.

I am sure you will be fine!

:)

babyshakes said:
Hi Flossy!

I am also fairly new at this. Trained with creative in sept 05, have only really been doing friends since, and am now looking to go self-employed/mobile in the near future. All I can say is that the more you do it the better you get. Everytime I learn something new, and maybe even make new mistakes, but as long as you take these on board and learn from them then you can only improve.

Do not worry about people watching you, just get your head down (as someone else on here said - learn to talk to your clients' nails intead of their face - it will save you tons of time) and do the best you can each time.

I am sure you will be fine!

Hi baby, I get what you are saying, most of the time i feel fine. what I want to find out is how newbies like me are coping, getting on. what it does to their confidence when something rubish happens. I am usually very confident in every thing I do, but doing nails is a kind of art form and your work is on display. That is verey personal really. Like the thread that Gigi started yesterday. She is a seasoned pro and quit clearly does not want her name attached in any way to the nails on the cover of this weeks scratch. Her work is her trade mark. I think that what we are doing is quit big, we are subject to so much criticism. People just love to dis others behind their backs. You leave a client feeling happy that they are happy. Next day you get a phone call from client all of a sudden not happy any more. Why? Cos her best mate just slagged off your hard work. What does that do to YOUR confidence?
Thanks for replying babyshakes and good luck. We all need it. x

well i qualified in january with my acrylic and feb/march with my gel (both creative) and some days like the other day my client kept on inspecting everything and i felt very flustered and annoyed.
I am starting to feel better as time goes on and the more sets i do i get more confidence, i think the $$ payed for my courses were well worth it! and yes i can go back to my educator at any time as she HIRED me to work in her salon! :lol: (which im thrilled about) just keep going chicky! you will get there we all have a lot to learn and a long way to go! :)

Hi Niksaki, thanks for responding and letting us know how you are getting on. Congrats on your new post with your educator, lucky girl.
Anyone more newbies want to share their hi's and lows, hopes and fears?

Hi there im new to this website and realitivly new to nails...have you guys done silk and fibre glass yet...:eek:

Ive been doing nails since last august but only did my training in Jan this yr along with spa mani/pedi, nail art (did spray tan last september)
I still consider my self a newbie and will continue to do so untill i can admire my own work without picking fault with one thing or another!
I never look too far ahead, take one day at a time but do find with each passing day and each new set of nails i do i find my confidence increases that little bit more.
This site has been a huge bonus for me as its packed full of helpful hints, tips, tutorials and problem solving, there is always someone ready to help answer any questions i may have.
I still phone up my tutor or go along to the training academy and pick her brains, shes always on hand for me should i ever need her.
If my confidence gets knocked i try not to let it get me down, i say to myself "chin up, carry on, you can do it"
My biggest worry i had was a set of nails i did not long after i passed, i forgot to use the primer lol i worried and worried i would get a phone call saying they had lifted or pinged off, i put my self through hell! but they stayed on and she came back 2 weeks later for infills lol
:green:

Sounds like your are doing well Pips and have adopted a positive and sensible aproach.

Hi Flossy,
Ide like to think that im doing ok but know there is room for improvement!
I should practice more but find i dont have the time at mo.
Ahh well, tomorrows another day lol :rolleyes:

I still consider my self a newbie and will continue to do so untill i can admire my own work without picking fault with one thing or another!

Well, I have been doing nails a fair while now, qualified in 2002, and I still cant do a set without picking fault with them in one way or another, I even remember Geeg saying that she still does this and that suprised me! Looks like you'll consider yourself a newbie for longer than you think x

How do you feel when a client sits watching your every brush stroke? At first it was awful, especially when my model kept saying she could do it standing on her head as it looked so easy! Eventually I gave her my brush and a tip and said "go girl" she soon shutup!! I try not think about clients watching me and don't look at their faces!!

What goes through your mind when they are looking - no, inspecting their left hand while you are working on their right hand? Doesn't bother me, I'd rather they told me if they weren't happy with them
When you are asked how busy you are, do you lie,sorry, are you echonomicle with the truth? maybe slightly - though I tell people I'm just starting out
Do you act more confident than you really are? Definately - I'm usually worse before a client comes as I never know what to expect, but once I meet them & get started, I'm ok ( I think!!)
Do you feel that your training was enough, was it value for money? My training was as described - "foundation" it was enough because I couldn't have taken much more in, but now it's been 5 months, I need more guidance (which I'm getting) and I defo need more people to practice on.
Do you feel like you can go back to your educators for support without being made to feel like a neusence? yes but I haven't - I usually look on here and read and re read tutorials.

I really hate the word qualified!!
After a 5 day nail course, no one is professional, but only qualified to practice.
Unless one sees the Creative Academy curriculum through to the end, they are not fully trained. It can take you a long time, or a shorter amount of time depending on your talent, hard work and personal drive.

I worked hard when I first finished my Foundation training .. but there comes a time when you just know you can't go any further unless you step into the classroom again.

An artist is always critical of his/her work ... that is part of the nature of an 'artistic' temperament ... never satisfied!

I love to work with an audience though ... I always did right from the beginning. Of course when I started, no one knew a darned thing about nail enhancement so they couldn't criticize as they had nothing to compare my work to!! :) Maybe that took the pressure off. It never bothered me.

:) Hi flossy im new to all of this did and l&p course with Ez Flow March 05 . I was lucky to be offered a job with a local salon which is great, am now setting up at home. My first client i had was an nightmare i was told she was really nice :rolleyes: not the case she moaned about everything and used to dread her coming back but she always does other people have said shespeaks very highly of me and my work she has been my client for the past 6 months and finally she has no complaints :lol: she is just one of those people that examines everything holds her hand up checking every last detail i just:) take it all in my stride now:) Every client i have seen has always come back to me and recommended me to others which is such a confidence boost, but still so much to learn practice makes perfection:) take care Flossy :hug: Michelle

Hi Flossy,

I passed my Creative Foundation in Dec 05, you've totally hit the nail on the head when you said its like passing your driving test! You think 'Great Ive passed! - erm..but I can't drive!' ha ha!

I have been practising on friends, family and the nail trainer since I passed and I feel like I keep coming across things that set me back (like rebalances :irked: )but I suppose its just cause we are getting better coming across things we wouldn't have thought of before!

I really don't like it when the client looks at the nails half way through, sometimes I feel like they're thinking 'Oh no why did I let her loose on my nails - big mistake!' but ill just have to get over that I think! A few friends I have done have said mine are the most natural and nicest nails they have had which gave me a massive boost :green: (its important to note that they had only been to NSS salons before!) so its ups and downs really.

I have never contacted my educator for any advice, I must admit I come on here and read through tutorials, threads etc.

I am just starting to advertise for Models and am charging £15 a set, this is to get more practise a) doing the nails and b) to get used to doing strangers and building my confidence up. Hopefully after a short while doing this I will be able to charge full price. I think its a confidence thing as you're asking someone to pay for something they may not potentially like...but that attitude will change when im more confident of the work I am doing.

Sorry this has been long - Good thread x x x

It really is great to hear from you all. Isn't it good to know that other techs go through pretty much the same feelings.
Geegs comment about not been 'QUALIFIED' after a 5 day foundation course is absolutely right. We all have to practice and hit the classroom from time time. I am definately due a visit in the coming weeks.
I'll be completely honest with you all, sometimes I want to jack it in. Not gonna though. I am very critical of my self and my work, I want to always do my best. Im a pain in my own butt! lol.
All you newbies keep going, don't be pressured to cut corners to improve speed, you will not gain anything from it. All we can do is keep on learning, practicing and never be afraid to ask for help.
Good luck all.

I love my job but like Geeg said you are always critical of your own work which I think is positive. If you can see what needs to be improved you try even harder the next time. I am confident at what I do I might not be the best but I strive to give my clients the best service I can. I don't feel bad if somebody is watching me and asking questions because I feel I know my product. Its a good feeling when I've finished and I can see them admiring their hands.

xXx

How do you feel when a client sits watching your every brush stroke?
That never bothered me ,what did was when they'd start inspecting what you've done when you move onto the other hand. I just learned to say, is everything okay? and usually it was!
What goes through your mind when they are looking - no, inspecting their left hand while you are working on their right hand?
Oops sorry I jumped the gun!!!!
When you are asked how busy you are, do you lie,sorry, are you echonomicle with the truth?
Nope I tell the truth, I believe that if you llie it will bite you in the bum at some point. PLus my regulars try harder to recommend people to me to help me out (I love my clients!!)
Do you act more confident than you really are?
No! But in the early days when I was so nervous and concentrating so much I'd dribble when I was working, not the effect I was going for really. Now no one phases me ... except for people who thing they know it all cos they've had their nails done for years elsewhere!
Do you feel that your training was enough, was it value for money?
Just as you feel you are getting somewhere you learn more about wehre you are going wrong and get more and more critical rather than less. Good continued education can make you better and better. Every training course leaves me fired up and reimpassioned (think I just made that word up lol)
Do you feel like you can go back to your educators for support without being made to feel like a neusence?
definitely, when I was with LCN nothing was too much trouble, and they'd make a note of all your calls so if you spoke to someone else then they knew what you were on about! They'd also phone you with support calls. I think this is one of the most important parts of choosing a good training company, you don;t want to feel they are saying oh no not YOU again!

Great thread hun. Remember we are often too quick to take the blame for the problems our clients present us with. Take a look at this thread http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/16999-stop-doubting-your-ability-let-your-confidence-soar.html?highlight=confidence+soar and see how I eventually found my confidence and stopped listening to the "they just pinged off" stories.

Thanks Sassy, will look at the link tomorrow. Husband just got back, not seen him for 3 days. Night all.Yee haa.

Flossy said:
Hi baby, I get what you are saying, most of the time i feel fine. what I want to find out is how newbies like me are coping, getting on. what it does to their confidence when something rubish happens. I am usually very confident in every thing I do, but doing nails is a kind of art form and your work is on display. That is verey personal really. Like the thread that Gigi started yesterday. She is a seasoned pro and quit clearly does not want her name attached in any way to the nails on the cover of this weeks scratch. Her work is her trade mark. I think that what we are doing is quit big, we are subject to so much criticism. People just love to dis others behind their backs. You leave a client feeling happy that they are happy. Next day you get a phone call from client all of a sudden not happy any more. Why? Cos her best mate just slagged off your hard work. What does that do to YOUR confidence?
Thanks for replying babyshakes and good luck. We all need it. x

Just remember, that for those few who are disatisifed, there will be many more who will love your work. Even though sometimes your confidence may get knocked, it is great to see someone leave filled with excitement over the job that you have just done!!! A real confidence boost I can tell you

Okee Dokee Sassy, I just read your thread on confidence too, and you have cheered me up immensely! I am relatively new, have a job I LOVE in a salon and have a couple of very picky elderly ladies as clients. I think we all need to learn what criticism to pay attention to and what to let slide off. Anytime one is working with the public that is a challenge because we need to pay attention to the clients' wishes etc. but keep our equilibrium on an even plane. Thanks for the "chin up"!:hug:

Latest posts

Back