Can’t get the cool ash blonde colour I crave, why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
:irked:

Hi there

I have been having my hair coloured with highlights for years and im getting more and more depresed as i go and pay out a fortune in the process:irked: I just dont seem to get the colour I like, i hope im not too picky:rolleyes:.

I have a 7 ish base colour (dark mousy blonde) and i love the cool ash blonde, but i keep ending up with yellow or golden blonde tones even though i take in pictures and say i dont like yellow or golden tones and i would like a cool blonde ash etc, they seem to get what im saying but i still end up with yellow stripes ahhhh:mad:

I have been having 6 % bleach highlights with 6/7 chocolate brown which became too dark, i tried another hairdresser (cause the other one said thats the only brown she could use??) I had today, 7,13 beige brown with a base colour, with 6 % blue bleach 20 2 : 1 ratio the bleach being the 2 ratio, followed by a toner which was left on for 3 mins all the colour was from Loreal. Iv come away with yellowish thick striped highlights and some ginger ones here and there????:cry::cry:

Please any advice and any recommendation of a expert colourist in the wrexham or chester area?

cheers:)

Im really upset as i paid £140 for the colour and cut, i love the cut though:)

sounds like they tried to bleach out the darker brown tint? hence the reason it wouldn't go blonde?

just go back and tell them your not happy, thats a hell of a lot of money to spend to not be happy!!!

sounds like they need to use 30 or 40 vol (9% or 12%) peroxide instead of 20 vol / 6%.

as for the stripyness, bad technique?! did you ask for chunky or fine?
I would go back and ask them to do you a mixture of medium/fine foils with bleach, and put your base all over the rest to get rid of the yellow!!

where abouts are you hun?

it can be a nightmare trying to get what you want. i used to go to a well known salon for years and left everytime feeling unhappy with my hair. i used to ask for blonde to be put in and came out with red streaks :irked:. i was spending alot of money and sitting around waiting just to be seated to have my colour washed off.

i decided it was time to move and i'm so glad i did. i picked my new hairdresser mainly because all the girls in there had blonde hair so i knew they might get it right. it's took 2 years to get fully blonde and my starting colour was darkest brown. if your not happy hun go back and tell them then maybe look somewhere els.

Hi,

I think you should go back and ask to speak to a hairdressing manager.

I have a salon in Chester (I trained with Andrew Collinge and left to set up myself)the advise others have given is good:

Maybe using 30 or 40vol with the bleach and the orangey bits are like others have said the darker pieces half bleached up.
A finer weave would probably make a difference too.

I always like to use a blue shampoo (or rinse) to get an extra ashy look on my hair so that may help a little depending on how yellow it is?!

Hi,

I think you should go back and ask to speak to a hairdressing manager.

I have a salon in Chester (I trained with Andrew Collinge and left to set up myself)the advise others have given is good:

Maybe using 30 or 40vol with the bleach and the orangey bits are like others have said the darker pieces half bleached up.
A finer weave would probably make a difference too.

I always like to use a blue shampoo (or rinse) to get an extra ashy look on my hair so that may help a little depending on how yellow it is?!

Hi there

Thanks everyone for your advice really appreciate it!

Hi hair2 beauty thanks for your reply, Im too embarrassed to go back as such a reputable company I would feel awkward as she was the manager! I was very clear and took pictures of the colour I would like and even asked her if i was asking for something that wasnt possible and she said she could lighten it so it was a cool blonde with beige darker colours, instead iv got yellow hair yet again but shes put them in thickly and i asked for thin natural highlights and even took a picture of someones highlights which were thin?? I couldnt of been more clearer?:|

When she was putting them in i felt she was doing them too thick and questioned her saying will they look natural and she said yes, but she put loads in and the weaves were thick chunks, but im not a hairdresser so you have to go with it. when it was washed i could tell it looked yellow.

when she dried my hair i said it still looked yellow and she said it looked more natural and that it looked yellow to me but fine to her? so i couldnt say anything and of i went. Iv asked many friends etc and they say it is nice but not what i asked for which is a cool blonde and it is bold at the top and i do have a few ginger ones.

Dont get me wrong the colour is not a disaster iv had worse over the many years iv had highlights, BUT for £140 quid i would expect or feel that i should get the colour i asked for, if she couldnt get it too that then she should of said and not took my money, sorry i sound angry but im upset as not got much cash and waited a long time with bad roots before paying out only to end up with a worse problem:cry:.

I asked her about using 9 % to get it blonder and she said not too as it would work faster but not give me the blonde i wanted and it would damage my hair (which is a tad dry after the bleach) she said the 6 % is better as takes longer but can be left longer to get the blonde im after?:|

Im not one of those clients that goes from hair dressers to hair dressers complaining ( I hate doing that) iv been to the same hairdresser for over 5 years but was ending up with chocolate brown highlights with yellow highlights which looked stripy and harsh, but in the begining i had lovely cool blonde tones and it looked good but the more i went the more my hair looked brassy?

sorry im blabbing on here just trying to explain how i got to this?

Im thinking of getting another toner put on to tone it down in the mean time and maybe have a brown colour put on the ginger slices would that be ok?:cry:

I personally wouldnt recommend you do anything yourself and if your hair is dry and the colour not too unbareable i would wait about 6 weeks until your roots need doing and in the mean time get some conditioning treatments on.
Without looking at your hair its hard to recommend something but from the sounds of it you would be better having 2 Bleach (or Majimeche) with 30/40vol to 1 7.1 with 20vol and just having a very fine weave.
I would definatly try a blue shampoo such as Aveda Blue Malva they only sell in litres now but its well worth it for condtion and colour..

if your not happy with the colour then i would go back hun, i can understand you dont want to make a fuss but for £140 you havent got what you asked for and thats a lot of money to pay

im with hair 2beauty with using an ash/violet shampoo ,they are great . i would never use 6% for ash hi lites ,unless you are a natural light blonde anyway . i think the darker colour has lifted midway ., but they should have checked the hi lites to make sure that they have lifted properly and reapplyed if necessary

hiya
havent had time to read the other reponses sorry so hope im not repeating too much!
could you travel to Northwich? I would happily do it for you?
you need some cool blondes which i could do for you.......

you need bleach and a peroxide ( your hairdresser was right, the 6% will lift as much as a 12% would, just slower-so she mustn't have left it on long enough), i would use wella, 9/16 + 0/88,9% and 8/17 12%
id love it if you could come to me!

You need all those Ginger bits picked out and re-lightened to a nice cool blonde
and maybe a silver / ash toner too, ( this is all depending on the condition)
you could ask her to do some test pieces on it first ?

this will be a long job so I would go back to the salon where you paid out all your hard earned money ,
she knew you weren't happy and she has tried to just fob you off,

As Katelisa has said it sounds like she has picked out some of the brown ones with the blonde and they haven't lifted as well as she hoped
and you got ginger bits instead,
adding brown at every appointment isn't a good thing and I think this technique can be way over used ,

it may be better if you stick to just highlights and have the brown put in just now and again

Because : for example If you take a head of blonde highlights,
then some brown is put in over the blonde bits
then more blonde highlights are woven in at the next appointment
there is bound to be a brown bits picked up with some of the blonde and these are the bits that goes ginger,
and then it all becomes a muddle of colours

then if you try and bleach the ginger up a bit up too much it could break off
and it can all become a vicious circle ,
until it may eventually need an all over colour correction job or cut in a shorter style
(I would do the same as what Katelisa has suggested )

I tend to steer clients away from too much added brown colour along with their highlights ,
if clients do want brown bits and bleach highlights
I try my best to put it where the same colours can easily be picked back up again
and the next time the roots only need touching up and not taken right throughout the hair ,

but sometimes it can be a heck of a job trying to pick out the brown from blonde
(depending who has done what to it previously)

I myself feel it's far better to just have a head full of highlights to enhance the natural
colour of the hair ,

eg:
If you are a base 7 and you had just bleached blonde highlights
this would achieve a nice cool ash colour
without having to add any browns
the hairdresser will then be able to see where they are working ,
and in the future will be able to do just the root area
rather than having to take bleach over any random brown bits that may catch in with the blonde bits

:hug: I hope that made sense x minky

Ps, you have some really good offers there :hug: x

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for helping and advising me on my hair dilema I really appreciate it:hug:

Iv always been very loyal to my hairdresser and HATE complaining so cant force myself back to say im not happy:cry:

Im now left with no confidence in asking for colour etc, as i feel i went to one of the best salons there is, only to end up with hair i hate? She seemed to know exactly where i was coming from and seemed very knowledegable until i had the finished result:irked:

Thanks jrobinson for your offer can i email you?:hug:

Would having another toner put on for now until my roots grow out help the look of the colour?? I had a toner put on the same time as the colour she left it on for 3 mins?

thanks everyone wished id gone to one of you guys i wouldnt be posting my hair dilemma then:(

cheers

nenee:hug:

i have to be honest, ive never really been happy with my hair when someone else has coloured it. so now i stick to doing it myself. (i am trained to do it!!!)

honestly though, go in and just explain your not happy, its not complaining, its just giving them the chance to make you happy!! Just dont go in there ranting and raving, because that is complaining!!

i have to be honest, ive never really been happy with my hair when someone else has coloured it. so now i stick to doing it myself. (i am trained to do it!!!)

honestly though, go in and just explain your not happy, its not complaining, its just giving them the chance to make you happy!! Just dont go in there ranting and raving, because that is complaining!!

Hi ya

I could never rant and rave would die of embarrassment, plus if she had ruined my hair totally i may be a little upset but not having the colour the right shade that i asked for i feel silly , so il be one of those who pay, nodd and say it looks ok and walk out crying lol and then try and find a hairdresser who can do the colour i like without my hair falling out, or a hair dresser that is truthful and tells me that they cant lift it like that so i dont waste my money.

I must say she cut it very well I love the cut, and i gues thats why i cant go back also:|

Id hate to be a hairdresser it sounds so complicated and you got to make your clients happy big big responsibility:eek:

cheers:hug:

nenee

Hi everyone

Would having another toner put on for now until my roots grow out help the look of the colour?? I had a toner put on the same time as the colour she left it on for 3 mins?

thanks everyone wished id gone to one of you guys i wouldnt be posting my hair dilemma then:(

cheers

nenee:hug:

Hi nenee , jrobinson Has mentioned some very nice cooling tones for your hair to tone your ginger bits down,
plus she may also be able to brighten a few scattered highlights with bleach if possible,
I am sure once she sees it she will be able to help you out with one of her lovely colour remedy's

xx :hug: x minky

I use 9/8 and 9/65 on my hair as i throw alot of gold but as you know, you need to keep an eye on it!

I also use Igora by Schwarzkopf 9 1/2 -1 (ice flower) It's like a mousse that i apply in the same way i do my regrowth, section it off and use a tint brush. It's fantastic!

I use 9/8 and 9/65 on my hair as i throw alot of gold but as you know, you need to keep an eye on it!

I also use Igora by Schwarzkopf 9 1/2 -1 (ice flower) It's like a mousse that i apply in the same way i do my regrowth, section it off and use a tint brush. It's fantastic!

That sounds really nice too , is the mousse like a coloured mousse?
and what was the Igora clour again ? sorry I cant seem to put it together
in my head :hug: lol x minky

The mousse is like a silver/purple colour and brilliant as a toner. It's called ice flower and comes in a 92g size. I LOVE IT!!

I usually bleach my regrowth with PPS "blonde as white" creme lightener, this is awesome for me as i throw alot of gold, then i use the igora mousse as my toner and i can get to a plaitinum blonde if i wanted to.

I am about a level 5 naturally and using the PPS creme bleach it takes me to almost white, so sometimes i use the mousse toner only if i need to freshen up the blonde after a couple of weeks.

Hi there

Iv taken some pics of my hair colour as I am becoming more and more unhappy with the colour as the days go by, its awful i now have a head fof hair which is over processed with bleach and has ginger strands and is brassy I hate it, Im so upset.

I have decided to go back as i have spent £140 quid for a head full of hair i hate.

I cantupload the pictures it says failed??? do you have to pay a subscription to put pics on?

could i send them to someone on a email and give me your honest opinion?

i have been clicking on the paper clip the finding the file and clicking uploading it goes threw the uploading then says failed, any reason:irked:

I really want expert hairdressers like yourselves to take a look to see where im coming from

cheers guys:hug:

I am defo going to take Jrobinsons very kind offer of her correcting my hair mess, but I cant afford to pay out for highlights just yet, thats why i thought i should have a £10 toner done until my hair has had a rest and also my pocket!! I also need to see if i can get my money back(which I have never done in my life and i will be so emabarrassed, but I dont want her near my hair again as im worried it will end up worse):cry::cry:

hiya
thanks everyone (espec minky) for your kind words!! hehe. my first name is Jenna btw.
Nenee, the colour would be £30-£50 if that helps your decision at all. Then you prob won't want it cut if you like it as it is, so a blowdry is £14 but i could discount that by 20% and get away with it.........
ive emailed you my email address
x
x

Latest posts

Back