Can 17 year olds work in a barbershop and Covid-19 environment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamsmith1

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could advise whether a 17 year old could work in a barber shop in Scotland in the current Covid-19 climate?- My son has been given 5x12 hour shifts and has no qualifications apart from a natural ability to cut hair !- Concerned over the long hours and crammed conditions he will be exposed to as well as the current Covid-19 situation , advice welcome --

How has he been given 12 hour shifts? That’s bizarre!
He’d need to be qualified or on a recognised apprenticeship before being allowed to cut hair as he couldn’t be insured otherwise.

Scotland might have different rules, but that doesn’t sound legitimate to me.

Hiya, He has a place with SB Barbering Academy I believe - Thing is they offer £1 haircuts on their website for students -"Because our services are performed by barbers in training, we are able to charge a minimal £1.00 per service. "-- So how does that work?- Is the 'owner' simply able to pay the quid and yet charge the customer £10 for a haircut?

https://sbbarberingacademy.co.uk/#

Wow, that’s pretty shocking.
Is he being paid minimum wage? I’m sure 12 hour shifts for a student on an apprenticeship is illegal.

I see they’re registered with VCTC examining board. As the parent, I think I’d discreetly enquire about the legal aspect of his ‘apprenticeship/employment’ with ACAS and also with VTCT.

Also, are they providing full PPE? He should be wearing gloves, a mask and a visor at a minimum, that are sanitised and changed between clients.

I really wouldn’t be happy with this at all, as it screams exploitation to me. o_O

Wow, that’s pretty shocking.
Is he being paid minimum wage? I’m sure 12 hour shifts for a student on an apprenticeship is illegal.

I see they’re registered with VCTC examining board. As the parent, I think I’d discreetly enquire about the legal aspect of his ‘apprenticeship/employment’ with ACAS and also with VTCT.

Also, are they providing full PPE? He should be wearing gloves, a mask and a visor at a minimum, that are sanitised and changed between clients.

I really wouldn’t be happy with this at all, as it screams exploitation to me. o_O

Hiya, i'm not sure what his hourly rate is , think around £5 an hour. So the scheme he is under is an actual apprenticeship?- How does the £1 a haircut rate play out when he is cutting clients hair and the owner is charging £10?- Whole situation stinks as far as I am concerned -- Would the ACAS and VTCT be best advise re exploitation? What do the 2 acronyms stand for ?- Look forward to your reply

The following is his hours for next two weeks:

(Wednesday 15th July) 9am-9pm or later..
(Thursday 16th July) 9am-10pm or later..
(Friday 17th July) 9am-10pm or later..
(Sat 18th July) 8am-6pm.
Sunday depending (colours and perm only
(Monday 20th July) 11am-7pm
(Tuesday 21st July) 10am-7pm or later

Hiya, He has a place with SB Barbering Academy I believe - Thing is they offer £1 haircuts on their website for students -"Because our services are performed by barbers in training, we are able to charge a minimal £1.00 per service. "-- So how does that work?- Is the 'owner' simply able to pay the quid and yet charge the customer £10 for a haircut?

https://sbbarberingacademy.co.uk/#

That’s slave labour there’s no way to dress it up. Doesn’t matter where you are.

Contact the relevant bodies/citizens advice or Scottish equivalent.

Latest posts

Back