Can a Pro offer advice regarding perms?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Ang*

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks :) A quick question for you in the hope of a bit of advice. I had my hair permed a couple of weeks ago and I did ask for a very loose curl and I got what I asked for. The thing is now, its a bit too loose for my liking. If I wash it and leave it dry naturally it's more straight than curly although it has more body than before I had it done. I can only get the curls when I scrunch dry but even then it doesn't seem to hold unless I stack it with heaps of spray.

How soon can I have another perm to get the curl/wave I really want? I would say my hair is pretty healthy (at least I think it is!) I don't have any colours on it. Any advice greatly appreciated :hug:

in my experience ,which is limited because when i trained it was all spiral perms, a perm is high maintainance it will need moose ,spray unless it is fairly tight -it depends on the type of hair. what is bouncy on one type of hair can look like wet seaweed on another- when the perm type and wind is the same . But perms have come on a long way andthere are new trchniques .
All the advice i can really give is - dont brush it too much - dont scrape it back in the first week and dont comb it flat when washed hope this helps - its great youve tried it i really want perms to get more in fashion

Hi hair geeks :) A quick question for you in the hope of a bit of advice. I had my hair permed a couple of weeks ago and I did ask for a very loose curl and I got what I asked for. The thing is now, its a bit too loose for my liking. If I wash it and leave it dry naturally it's more straight than curly although it has more body than before I had it done. I can only get the curls when I scrunch dry but even then it doesn't seem to hold unless I stack it with heaps of spray.

How soon can I have another perm to get the curl/wave I really want? I would say my hair is pretty healthy (at least I think it is!) I don't have any colours on it. Any advice greatly appreciated :hug:

Can I ask, but after the Perm what exactly have you put on your hair? The trouble many people make after a perm is the amount of products they put on their hair which neutralises the perm. They always appear to do this to try and get the curl back from the original Perm, it just doesn't happen due to the effect the products have on the Perm.

in my experince of perms, it can be a little trial and error to get the perfect curl size and time it lasts. personally if they like it loose and aren't prepared to go a little tighter to get the lasting results then they need it done more often.

as the hair gets longer, the weight drags it down, a simple trim might perk your perm up no end....but it might be a case of goin a little tighter next time, technique also do a nice curl spray, great on natural and permed hair, spritz and scrunch...might be worth a try in the mean time, u can get ti from sally's in a black bottle, either blue or green writing cant remember which, hth!!!

best thing go back to where you had it done, as they can actually see ur hair and will advise when they feel it would be good to do it again

Hi

What length is your hair? Is it layered?

Is your hair quite heavy?

Redken do a shampoo and conditioner called fresh curls which keeps the Ph of your hair at the best level for curls, a lot of people make the mistake of using a too heavy shampoo and conditioner and this will 'weigh' your curls down.

If your hair is heavy or one length a few layers will help.

Latest posts

Back